ADVERTISEMENT

Kugler football is painful to watch

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
But his methodology is on target. I don't like his style and disrespect towards Mike Price, but he's learning on the fly in this injury Jones era. He is part of our Miner family and blood deserves respect. Hats off to Coker and UTSA. Will be back next year with a healthy Aaron Jones.

but there is still too much fb left THIS yr... Hope they figure something out... I wonder if something was up with Metz, his passing looked really bad tonight, like way off... I still want him over Mack, but it's gotta sting with all those INT's reminds me of Palmer.

Unfortunately this was one was on Metz. I think we had close to 50 pass attempts tonight. Metz footwork was terrible all night. From an accuracy standpoint he was terrible. He made bad reads all night. Its hard to win when you have four ints and two pick sixes. This was metz first full game aganst fbs competition and it didnt go well. It will be interesting to see how he bounces back. Every young qb has nights like tonight, the good ones learn and bounce back. The next two games are winnable, I dont think either are as good as UTSA. They are good bounce back chances for Metz.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I heard bama vs. Ole Miss game and heard their announcers refer to themselves as the "good guys" when 'bama scored a td. Kugler is our family and one of the "good guys" when it comes to little ole Miner nation.

I agree with you life. Kugler is one of those guys who knows how to come back after a switchblade knife fight. His interviews are on target, especially after tonights tough loss. He has them fighting. Thats all I ask given hos situation.

At the end of, you have to win. People made fun of Mike Price because he said "our kids played tough", "we kept fighting", etc. I would be surprised if UTEP won more than 4 games this season. This was one of the worst UTEP football games I have seen in a long time.

There have been worse games. This game might win for worst qb play. This game reminded me of the 2012 SMU game with Nick lamison at qb. Cant win when your qb is under 50 percent completion rate and throws four picks two of which came back for touchdowns. Defense only gave up 10 points.

There have been worse games. This game might win for worst qb play. This game reminded me of the 2012 SMU game with Nick lamison at qb. Cant win when your qb is under 50 percent completion rate and throws four picks two of which came back for touchdowns. Defense only gave up 10 points.

Oh, I agree there have been worse games, I just think it was one of the worst games I have watched. This game was very painful to watch.

Look up 70's and 80's. Bad years. Price set the bar unreastically too high and could not get a good d coordintor until late and stupidly put his son too call those lame predictable offesnsive plays. But he brought up attendance and brought in highet caliber players his first years which was dismantled aftet the Fred Rouse fiasco.

Look up 70's and 80's. Bad years. Price set the bar unreastically too high and could not get a good d coordintor until late and stupidly put his son too call those lame predictable offesnsive plays. But he brought up attendance and brought in highet caliber players his first years which was dismantled aftet the Fred Rouse fiasco.

Not disagreeing with anything you said, but we have to raise our expectations. There is no reason we cant be consistent winners.

But he brought up attendance and brought in highet caliber players his first years which was dismantled aftet the Fred Rouse fiasco.

I always thought Fred Rouse didn't really work out, but I never thought of it as Mike Price's recruiting downfall. What happened exactly? You sound like you know more than I do.

I just read that our defense played better and if Metz doesn't throw it to their team it would be a closer game? It sounds like Freshman mistakes that we'll need to deal/live with this year. It sucks hard that Jones is lost this year.

I have all the respect in the world for Kugler but there are two things, actually three things he should do this off season.

1. Re-evaluate his coaching style. Yes, the gruff and tough works, but these are millennials he's coaching. Gruff and tough doesn't always work, nor does it last.

2. Re-evaluate his coaching staff. Loyalty is a plus when it's beneficial to both parties. Right now Kugs doesn't look like he's getting much for his loyalty. UTEP, in my opinion, didn't look prepared as much as they should have been.

3. Re-evaluate coaching strategies. You cannot and I'm going to repeat this for my Madden 15 friends, you cannot turn your passing game off and on. It's a consistent routine enveloped in timing and familiarity. A QB and his WRs only get that via repetitions. All spring they were throwing the ball and developing that part of their offense. The first two games they shelved it and in the third, uncorked it only because they had too. Last night, WRs ran poor routes and frankly speaking, in my opinion, there was a disconnect between both groups. Too bad Walker quit because to my understanding he was their best route runner.

The Miners still have a chance to run the table and get a good record and bowl option, but I doubt it. If last night was any indication they could end up one less in their total losses this season. That to me, isn't the type of progress you're looking for in your 3rd year.

But his methodology is on target. I don't like his style and disrespect towards Mike Price, but he's learning on the fly in this injury Jones era. He is part of our Miner family and blood deserves respect. Hats off to Coker and UTSA. Will be back next year with a healthy Aaron Jones.

In what sense do you think his methodology is on target?

I have all the respect in the world for Kugler but there are two things, actually three things he should do this off season.

1. Re-evaluate his coaching style. Yes, the gruff and tough works, but these are millennials he's coaching. Gruff and tough doesn't always work, nor does it last.

2. Re-evaluate his coaching staff. Loyalty is a plus when it's beneficial to both parties. Right now Kugs doesn't look like he's getting much for his loyalty. UTEP, in my opinion, didn't look prepared as much as they should have been.

3. Re-evaluate coaching strategies. You cannot and I'm going to repeat this for my Madden 15 friends, you cannot turn your passing game off and on. It's a consistent routine enveloped in timing and familiarity. A QB and his WRs only get that via repetitions. All spring they were throwing the ball and developing that part of their offense. The first two games they shelved it and in the third, uncorked it only because they had too. Last night, WRs ran poor routes and frankly speaking, in my opinion, there was a disconnect between both groups. Too bad Walker quit because to my understanding he was their best route runner.

...That to me, isn't the type of progress you're looking for in your 3rd year.

1. Agree 100%. Recruiting and motivating 18-21 year-olds ain't the NFL, nowhere near. And we can agree to disagree, but that is ONE of the reasons I do NOT have "all the respect in the world for Kugler." Karma, baby...

2. Agree 1,000%. IMO, the OC is basically playing the hand he's got, with Kugler's blessing. On D, the only success Scott Stoker has had at any level was when he had superior talent. Ask around. That's why Fritz didn't take him from SHSU to Georgia Southern. And that's why he didn't even get an interview at SHSU after Fritz left. Stoker's idea of in-game adjustments is to yell louder at halftime. In his third season, his players, his 4-2-5 defense (who runs that, anyway?), he OWNS this defense.

3. Agree 10,000%. You don't win at ANY level without superior QB play, especially in college (ask Charlie Strong). Nothing happening at QB for UTEP this year was unforeseen. Anybody with a football IQ north of 50 knew (or should have known) UTEP had HUGE question marks at QB entering this season, yet you couldn't (or didn't WANT to) at least bring in a JC QB for insurance this season? After 5 games, it's not clear UTEP has a D1-quality QB on their roster. That's totally on Kugler.

To your final point, Kugler gave HIMSELF three years to "turn things around". UTEP fans will need to make that judgement after another 7 games...

I have no problem running a prostyle offense
The problem right now is we have no running game and very bad qb play. Historically its been proven we cant recruit enough defensive players to run an uptempo spread offense. The fatal flaw of the spread is that it leaves your defense on the field too long. The problem is not the pro style offense its the execution and playcalling.

I have no problem running a prostyle offense
The problem right now is we have no running game and very bad qb play. Historically its been proven we cant recruit enough defensive players to run an uptempo spread offense. The fatal flaw of the spread is that it leaves your defense on the field too long. The problem is not the pro style offense its the execution and playcalling.

and personnel?

On D, the only success Scott Stoker has had at any level was when he had superior talent. Ask around. That's why Fritz didn't take him from SHSU to Georgia Southern. And that's why he didn't even get an interview at SHSU after Fritz left. Stoker's idea of in-game adjustments is to yell louder at halftime. In his third season, his players, his 4-2-5 defense (who runs that, anyway?), he OWNS this defense.

Last year, UTEP finished the season ranked 42nd in the nation in total defense. Last year, the UTEP defense ranked higher than schools like Oklahoma, Boise State, Auburn, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Florida State(who made the 4 team Play-Off). It was UTEP's best defense in recent history. I would say that would qualify as success.

Last night the Defense only gave up 3 points in the 1st half and the Defense only gave up 9 points for the entire game!!(remember that the offense gave away 14 points from the 2 Interceptions which were run back for TD's and the 2 points from the Safety.)

and personnel?

I dont think its a talent issue. I think Batson,White, Golden and Plinke are the best collection of skill players we have had in years. The line has underperformed but I think they have talent. I think the problem is making calls. I dont think Lee is making the proper calls at the line. I think this was also a problem last year but was masked by the fact we played several schools with weak dlines we could maul. I think playing Gatewood at center would fix the problem. I think the young lineman are talented and will be good.

Quarterback is the huge question. Last night was the worst qb play ive seen in along time. Worse at UTEP since the SMU game in 2012.

At back we have to play Hughes. He is better than the alternatives.

I dont think its a talent issue. I think Batson,White, Golden and Plinke are the best collection of skill players we have had in years. The line has underperformed but I think they have talent. I think the problem is making calls. I dont think Lee is making the proper calls at the line. I think this was also a problem last year but was masked by the fact we played several schools with weak dlines we could maul. I think playing Gatewood at center would fix the problem. I think the young lineman are talented and will be good.

Quarterback is the huge question. Last night was the worst qb play ive seen in along time. Worse at UTEP since the SMU game in 2012.

At back we have to play Hughes. He is better than the alternatives.

By personnel, I was talking QB and RB. We don't have a "pro-style" QB (yet), and in hindsight it seems a waste running Jones like he's a bruising power back.

I wonder if he will resign after this year if UTEP does worse than last year.

Define worse. Record? Consistently competitive? Upgrading recruiting? Competing for/winning championships? Building a solid foundation for future? Developing depth on the team and his staff?

Kugler will obviously do what he wants, but his comments are a matter of record. One thing you can bet on, he's Stull's last football hire.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Define worse. Record? Consistently competitive? Upgrading recruiting? Competing for/winning championships? Building a solid foundation for future? Developing depth on the team and his staff?

Kugler will obviously do what he wants, but his comments are a matter of record. One thing you can bet on, he's Stull's last football hire.

I was talking about the record.

Yesterday Kugler seemed like a broken man. That was about the most raw and honest press conference you will ever see. However, I dont think he will quit. He's a posistion coach if he fails here he will never get a head coaching job again. Coog brings up an interesting scenario, Stull stepping down. That would be the nuclear option. Kugler, Floyd and everyone down to secretaries would likely be fired. Drastic but it might be what the department needs.

Last year, UTEP finished the season ranked 42nd in the nation in total defense. Last year, the UTEP defense ranked higher than schools like Oklahoma, Boise State, Auburn, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Florida State(who made the 4 team Play-Off). It was UTEP's best defense in recent history. I would say that would qualify as success.

Last night the Defense only gave up 3 points in the 1st half and the Defense only gave up 9 points for the entire game!!(remember that the offense gave away 14 points from the 2 Interceptions which were run back for TD's and the 2 points from the Safety.)

@Defense, let me start by cleaning up my keyboard. Okay, good to go...

Where to start? Your comment that "UTEP ranked higher than schools like Oklahoma, Boise State, Auburn etc." is laughable. UTEP played maybe the softest schedule in the nation last year and got absolutely skunked on defense anytime they played a competitive football team. Oh, and your "best defense in recent UTEP history" last season actually gave up more points than you scored.

This season? You gave up 164 points in your first three games, including 47 to maybe the worst team in the FBS.

Last night? You played an 0-4 team with a pathetic QB that you should have dominated.

You're entitled to your definition of "success". I stand by my comments about Stoker.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Again, the defense only gave up 9 points yesterday and we only gave up 17 in the game before that.

We also have 3 Freshman/Sophomore Defensive Starters who have a chance to become absolute stars(Jones, Beverly, and Logan). Needham is another Freshman Starter who also has a chance to become a very good player depending on how much he develops. This is more than 1/3rd of our current defense.

Obviously we have lot's of problems, everybody already knows this, but the defense proved itself in the 2nd half last year, they got better late in the season when most UTEP teams(who played just as bad November schedules) got worse. The defense gave up 21 points or less in 5 of the final 7 games last year. Now they have only given up 26 combined points in the last 2 games this year. They appear to be righting the ship again and I don't see the priority in attacking the DC the day after his defense only gave up 9 points......but have at it.

Reactions: minerdear
@Defense, let me start by cleaning up my keyboard. Okay, good to go...

Where to start? Your comment that "UTEP ranked higher than schools like Oklahoma, Boise State, Auburn etc." is laughable. UTEP played maybe the softest schedule in the nation last year and got absolutely skunked on defense anytime they played a competitive football team. Oh, and your "best defense in recent UTEP history" last season actually gave up more points than you scored.

This season? You gave up 164 points in your first three games, including 47 to maybe the worst team in the FBS.

Last night? You played an 0-4 team with a pathetic QB that you should have dominated.

You're entitled to your definition of "success". I stand by my comments about Stoker.

Vince Lombardi couldn't win this group. The coaches don't tackle, throw, or catch. The players need more time to develop and the coaches need to find a qb.

He mentioned Price indirectly like talking about the "dumpster fire" and saying he won't be here for 7 straight losing seasons and said he will only need 3 years.
The team was a mess when Kugler arrived. Price had lost control of the team and the football team was in terrible academic shape. Kugler certainly straightened that out. Whether or not he will work out as a head coach, he will need to prove his worth by the end of next year. I really don't think he is going to quit or be fired after this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT