ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Krystkowiak- Example of Coach who Builds a Program

El Paso Chihuahuas

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2014
El Paso, TX, USA
Utah progressed every year from 6 wins to 15 wins to 21 wins and this year they're in the Sweet Sixteen.

This is a type of coach I want here. A coach that shows progression every year, go to the NIT, and then go to the Big Dance.

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:
Utah progressed every year from 6 wins to 15 wins to 21 wins and this year they're in the Sweet Sixteen.

This is a type of coach I want here. A coach that shows progression every year, go to the NIT, and then go to the Big Dance.
thumbs-up.gif

Originally posted by SodaPopinski:

thumbs-up.gif
Didn't somebody else use this? You must be the same person. lol

To be fair, once you get passed Floyd's first year with his own recruits, RPI and conference standing have improved every year. Also, wins have gone up 2 out of the past 3 years, it would/could have gone up this year as well, but our strength of schedule was much better this year, thus the RPI improving by 20 spots.

This post was edited on 3/21 9:41 PM by minermx07

Originally posted by minermx07:
To be fair, once you get passed Floyd's first year with his own recruits, RPI and conference standing have improved every year. Also, wins have gone up 2 out of the 3 past years, it would/could have gone up this year as well, but our strength of schedule was much better this year.
After his first year, he went from 8th place, to 3rd place, and then to 5th place.

Utah played a tough OOC as well, beating BYU and Wichita State.

I am so tired of all of the excuses.

thumbs-up.gif
Yup I'm still me

laugh.r191677.gif

thumbs-up.gif
Yup I'm still me

laugh.r191677.gif
lol With at least two user name.

Conference standing went from 8th, 3rd, 5th, and 2nd. That is a positive trajectory. Also, they actually had a better record when they were 5th place (12-4) than when they were 3rd place (10-6). No excuses, I'm just stating the fact that there are numbers that support the assertion that Floyd is improving the program. RPI numbers would probably say the same thing. UTEP is improving (maybe not as fast as we'd like). But the numbers are the numbers.

Conference standing went from 8th, 3rd, 5th, and 2nd. That is a positive trajectory. Also, they actually had a better record when they were 5th place (12-4) than when they were 3rd place (10-6). No excuses, I'm just stating the fact that there are numbers that support the assertion that Floyd is improving the program. RPI numbers would probably say the same thing. UTEP is improving (maybe not as fast as we'd like). But the numbers are the numbers.
8th place to 3rd place to 5th place is positive trajectory? Who taught you math?

thumbs-up.gif
Yup I'm still me

laugh.r191677.gif
interesting take
1382879_494466683993651_1293584920_n.jpg

Okay, quick look of RPIs.

2011-2012- 147
2012-2013- 96
2013-2014- 95
2014-2015- 79

That is improvement. Not saying I'm a Floyd supporter (I'm not), but not acknowledging some basic facts, makes your case insincere.

thumbs-up.gif
Yup I'm still me

laugh.r191677.gif
interesting take
1382879_494466683993651_1293584920_n.jpg
Not sure what that means. Is there something I am missing?

Okay, quick look of RPIs.

2011-2012- 147
2012-2013- 96
2013-2014- 95
2014-2015- 79

That is improvement. Not saying I'm a Floyd supporter (I'm not), but not acknowledging some basic facts, makes your case insincere.
Wow, going from an RPI from 96 to 95 i really improvement! He should get a raise!

Are we not acknowledging this year's second place finish? So, better conference standings in 2 out of the last 3 years means nothing? Better RPI's the last 3 years means nothing? Better conference winning percentage 2 out of the last 3 years means nothing?

This post was edited on 3/21 10:09 PM by minermx07

Are we not acknowledging this year's second place finish? So, better conference standings in 2 out of the last 3 years means nothing? Better RPI's the last 3 years mean nothing? Better conference winning percentage 2 out of the last 3 years means nothing?
It doesn't mean much when you aren't going to the Big Dance and getting blown out of the NIT.

Originally posted by MusicBob:

To be fair, once you get passed Floyd's first year with his own recruits, RPI and conference standing have improved every year. Also, wins have gone up 2 out of the 3 past years, it would/could have gone up this year as well, but our strength of schedule was much better this year.
After his first year, he went from 8th place, to 3rd place, and then to 5th place.

Utah played a tough OOC as well, beating BYU and Wichita State.

I am so tired of all of the excuses.
Maybe you should take a break from the message boards for a couple of years. Give yourself a chance to recharge. Start fresh. Maybe even create a new user name, Mitch.

It's fine, but I guess some people just don't get my point. If you all are happy with mediocre seasons, then so be it.
We all get your point. What part of the last two hundred posts do you think we do not get??? Most of us on the board are not of the same opinion as you. We are not ready to fire him. Doesn't your poll state that "fact"? Since you want facts.

It seems you want to convince the group and at the same time blame the group for not thinking for themselves while you try to convince the group albeit poorly to follow your way of thinking. Ironic isnt it.

This post was edited on 3/22 12:32 PM by Texas_UTEP_Western

This post was edited on 3/22 12:33 PM by Texas_UTEP_Western

Originally posted by Texas_UTEP_Western:
It seems you want to convince the group and at the same time blame the group for not thinking for themselves while you try to convince the group albeit poorly to follow your way of thinking. Ironic isnt it.

I am not trying to convince anybody. I don't care what anybody else thinks.

If you all are happy with keeping Floyd, then so be it. I hope he does well next year and you people who want to keep him are proven right.

Says the guy with 1,900 posts and won't let anything go. Hey, not judging, takes one to know one, but let's at least be self-aware here.

NIT BANNER AT THE DON ???

There shouldn't even be a Banner at the Don when we were blown out in the first round in such a crushing way. I say a Banner should be there when we won at least the first game.

I'm over this year already and just enjoying NCAA and waiting for Utep Football Season. And I'll still say what I said at the beginning of the year. If all recruits come, Utep gets an experienced proven PG and Vince returns, this team will be better next year. I think Earvin, Omega and Vince then add in a scoring PG and Willms with 20 lbs hopefully put on in the off season will be enough to get us over the hump. Floyd should keep scheduling tough as thats the only way to get an at large bid in this conf if they do well in conference of course. I've seen Paul Thomas in person, he's a solid wing and a nightmare to guard at 6'8 and can dribble and shoot the three, and people are rumor ing that Marcus Johnson Jr is liking Utep and the opportunity to come right in and lead this team. I know I might be hoping too much, but if Vince comes back and Marcus comes, this team can make be really good!

Originally posted by Texas_UTEP_Western:

If you all are happy with keeping Floyd, then so be it. I hope he does well next year and you people who want to keep him are proven right.
No, you have it wrong. You are trying to convince. I want the Miners to be great next season, not to prove someone right or wrong, but because dammit, I want the Miners to win!!!!!

Utah has done a hell of job academically and athletically to get where they are. This has been a twenty five year road for them that got them in the PAC 12. UConn has followed a similar model. Point is that he is reeping the rewards of a good blue print.

Originally posted by utep2step:
Utah has done a hell of job academically and athletically to get where they are. This has been a twenty five year road for them that got them in the PAC 12. UConn has followed a similar model. Point is that he is reeping the rewards of a good blue print.
UCONN is the opposite of UTAH. Nobody has been hurt more by realignment than UCONN. The Huskies are in a much worse posistion today than they were in 5 years ago. Louisville, TCU and UTAH have benefited most from realignment and make incredible unprecedented strides in the last ten years.

That makes sense. How about a coach that progressed from 17 wins in his first season to 25 wins and a sweet sixteen in his second?

That would be Tim Floyd (when having the advantage of coaching in and recruiting to the Pac 12).

I was referring to their commitment for major capital improvements to the university. For example, basketball is a cash cow for them but to much of a burden to carry. They wanted into a major conference and in order to do that they needed a new football stadium AND invest into a (then called) FBS style program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT