ADVERTISEMENT

Lathon is back

Didn't like Floyds defense at all, all those junk schemes he ran were effective about 33% of the time an often resulted in wide open looks or offensive rebounds. He always took pride in stoping the other teams best offensive player, but made 20 point scorers out of another on the team. In all the years he was here I never saw an effective answer to a zone defense, it seemed to always shut us down. Terry's team now has a similar issue, we just don't seem to get enough good shots and when we do we are not consistent enough to hit them. Defense wise Terry's teams are good fundamentally, but still give up too much inside to average big men, we really need a dominant 6-6, 6-7 stopper to complete this team.

Reactions: picks up
I heard that Barbee didn't like taking advise from Haskins
Oh boy do I remember those days. He openly took advice from Haskins but threw cold water on UTEP fans by stating basically to let us move on, together. Back then Barbee was like Rush's "Tom Sawyer" song, "Deep, deep pride". I am glad he did that because IMO, he was speaking the truth. He was never, ever disrespectful.

Who cares? It’s advice BTW. Barbee won the CUSA conference championship and made the NCAAs. He was more successful than Floyd here, so whatever methods he used are fine by me.
I know saying stuff like this is part of your agenda but this has nothing to do with what I said. I was just passing along what I have heard and thought people might like to know

I do. I wish all our former head coaches go on to be successful at their next job.

That’s fine. Only honks wish that they do a bad job. But who cares? He hasn’t coached at Auburn in what, 6 years? I don’t see how “listening to Haskins more” would have helped him recruit better. Look at all the turds he recruited after the Sweet 16 season. Eggie McRae, Hector Gonzalez, etc.

The game had passed him by. Didn’t even make the WAC tournament some years. Barbee was smart for not holding onto the 66 team and trying to move on. It’s old news, no current high school player cares about it. Only old timers think the 66 championship still matters.

It’s time for UTEP to accomplish something new. Always bringing up Haskins is just sad. He was trash after the 94-95 season and most of the 70s.

It’s time for UTEP to accomplish something new. Always bringing up Haskins is just sad. He was trash after the 94-95 season and most of the 70s.
He did bring in one more great, Brandon Wolfram, who carried Rabs to his NIT season. I think Haskins would have had one more special season if he had coached Wolfram's senior year, and that would have been a nice way to go out.

He did bring in one more great, Brandon Wolfram, who carried Rabs to his NIT season. I think Haskins would have had one more special season if he had coached Wolfram's senior year, and that would have been a nice way to go out.

Will Smith, Roy Smallwood, and Wolfram were certainly hits, but so many misses. Maybe so, but he would have had to coach the 99-00 season and who knows how the player make up would have changed for the 00-01 season.

That’s fine. Only honks wish that they do a bad job. But who cares? He hasn’t coached at Auburn in what, 6 years? I don’t see how “listening to Haskins more” would have helped him recruit better. Look at all the turds he recruited after the Sweet 16 season. Eggie McRae, Hector Gonzalez, etc.

The game had passed him by. Didn’t even make the WAC tournament some years. Barbee was smart for not holding onto the 66 team and trying to move on. It’s old news, no current high school player cares about it. Only old timers think the 66 championship still matters.

You could benefit from a mentor.

Only old timers think the 66 championship still matters.

By that logic, throw out all of UCLA's championships. Who the hell cares about John Wooden anyway. Throw out old Boston Celtics championships. Throw out Joe Namath's Super Bowl 3 championship.

After all, none of that matters by your logic.

Are the 1990s Chicago Bulls championships too old now also? Throw them out too now, right?

Will you be mine, valentine?

tenor.gif

By that logic, throw out all of UCLA's championships. Who the hell cares about John Wooden anyway. Throw out old Boston Celtics championships. Throw out Joe Namath's Super Bowl 3 championship.

After all, none of that matters by your logic.

Are the 1990s Chicago Bulls championships too old now also? Throw them out too now, right?

Do John Woodens championships help with recruiting and winning today? No. They just lost to Cal St Fullerton. When was the last time they were relevant?

Does Joe Namath’s Super Bowl 3 championship help land free agents? When have the Jets made the Super Bowl since?

How do the 6 Jordan titles in the 90s help the Bulls now? The Bulls haven’t even been back to the finals since Jordan. How come they suck? Shouldn’t free agents be knocking on their door waiting to play for them?

Do John Woodens championships help with recruiting and winning today? No. They just lost to Cal St Fullerton. When was the last time they were relevant?

Does Joe Namath’s Super Bowl 3 championship help land free agents? When have the Jets made the Super Bowl since?

How do the 6 Jordan titles in the 90s help the Bulls now? The Bulls haven’t even been back to the finals since Jordan. How come they suck? Shouldn’t free agents be knocking on their door waiting to play for them?

A short and sweet, "None of that matters now. Throw all the trophies in the garbage." would have sufficed.

I'm all for celebrating history, but I won't buy that Coach Haskins was some hidden Oz guiding the coaches from 99-08.
Oh, it started way before 1999. And you can throw Andy Stoglin and Doc Sadler in there as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT