ADVERTISEMENT

Leftwich Returns at Quarterback

The one thing I've noticed is that I haven't seen any excitement at Left returning to the starting QB spot. Crickets. Very telling.

His game is very limited. No one is questioning his heart and moxy, but his game is side to side, literally. He has to roll out to see, otherwise, his passes get tipped or he just throws it out laterally to the rb. In all fairness, Higgins and Kugler don't help the cause for the young man to shine with their lousy play calling.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Guys, I've been around coaching for over 50 years and yes Leftwich does what Higgins calls. You haven't seen him turned loose

I think because hes small people think he cant throw it deep. Leftwich can throw it deep. He doesnt have a huge arm but he can make all the throws. When leftwich was in he ran the plays that were called. They ran a power running ball control offense. Now that the coaches finally have accepted we have to open the offense we will see what Leftwich can do.

I do expect we will see a two qb system. I think Leftwich will be under the center 60 % of the time and johnson 40%. I think for the first time Kavika will run the full offense, I dont think we will see the wildcat anymore.

Guys, I've been around coaching for over 50 years and yes Leftwich does what Higgins calls. You haven't seen him turned loose

And he won't be allowed to turn loose. As you already know, a ball control offense based on running 90-95% of the time doesn't ask much from their QB. Because not much is asked of him, he doesn't do much. I don't think, based on Kugler's directions and Higgin's play calling you're going to ever see a QB turned loose. Those closes(sp) you got to that was Metz against New Mexico State and the last two minutes. As we've seen since then, that wasn't and won't be the norm.

I think because hes small people think he cant throw it deep. Leftwich can throw it deep. He doesnt have a huge arm but he can make all the throws. When leftwich was in he ran the plays that were called. They ran a power running ball control offense. Now that the coaches finally have accepted we have to open the offense we will see what Leftwich can do.

I do expect we will see a two qb system. I think Leftwich will be under the center 60 % of the time and johnson 40%. I think for the first time Kavika will run the full offense, I dont think we will see the wildcat anymore.

I don't believe the issue (at least as far as I know) has ever been Left's arm strength. I don't even think there's been a big hoopla over his accuracy either. His issue is and will always be his ability to see through his offensive line. He can't see over them, so he needs passing lanes. It's hard to create passing lanes when the line can't hold their pass blocking assignments. Lastly, the offense he's running isn't conducive for a QB with his limitations to be productive. Having him take the bulk of his snaps under center with five and seven step drops is absurd. That gives the defensive front a chance to get pressure, but more, get their hands up when he tries to throw. Even taking a three step drop is even more difficult.

Again, I'm not an unabashed proponent of the spread, but I'm not a hater of it as well. It works for numerous reasons and I believe had Kugler and Higgins used the spread, Left and the offense would be more successful in it.

I don't believe the issue (at least as far as I know) has ever been Left's arm strength. I don't even think there's been a big hoopla over his accuracy either. His issue is and will always be his ability to see through his offensive line. He can't see over them, so he needs passing lanes. It's hard to create passing lanes when the line can't hold their pass blocking assignments. Lastly, the offense he's running isn't conducive for a QB with his limitations to be productive. Having him take the bulk of his snaps under center with five and seven step drops is absurd. That gives the defensive front a chance to get pressure, but more, get their hands up when he tries to throw. Even taking a three step drop is even more difficult.

Again, I'm not an unabashed proponent of the spread, but I'm not a hater of it as well. It works for numerous reasons and I believe had Kugler and Higgins used the spread, Left and the offense would be more successful in it.

Those are good points. I dont know if Leftwich is a good qb or not. I think they should definitely move the pocket, that would help him immensely. We are going to find oit alot about Leftwich and the rest of the team next Saturday. For the future of the program I thinks its very important Leftwich or Johnson takes the reigns and proves they can play qb at this level. One of them needs to be the qb the program builds around. I like Metz hes going to be a productive player at receiver, but I dont think he has the mental makeup to play qb at the d1 level.

Reactions: LaserCoog
Those are good points. I dont know if Leftwich is a good qb or not. I think they should definitely move the pocket, that would help him immensely. We are going to find oit alot about Leftwich and the rest of the team next Saturday. For the future of the program I thinks its very important Leftwich or Johnson takes the reigns and proves they can play qb at this level. One of them needs to be the qb the program builds around. I like Metz hes going to be a productive player at receiver, but I dont think he has the mental makeup to play qb at the d1 level.

Moving the pocket would be a definite plus. Between you and I that should've been a day one no-brainer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT