ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Willms...

200.webp

Front Court starters set if no changes or injuries
F-Roderick Williams 6-7
F- Paul Thomas 6-8
C- Matt Willms 7-1

Reactions: miner1liner
What do you guys expect from Isaiah Osborne (sp)? Guess he's a back up SF and shooting guard. If he is an immediate contributor, I think we've finally got some depth along with several others.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think in a best case scenario we are able to keep the following guys from last year:

Willms
Jones
Thomas
Flaggert
Touchet (academic)
Barrett

And add the 8 new guys, that looks promising.

You think Cameron is gone?

I thought he might stick it out since he actually came back, to not only school but also the team, after his pops(?) passed away. Still, you may be right. Something has to give, numbers wise. Maybe we don't get all 8.

What do you guys expect from Isaiah Osborne (sp)? Guess he's a back up SF and shooting guard. If he is an immediate contributor, I think we've finally got some depth along with several others.

I hope so. The drop off from starter to sub has been too much to overcome, at most positions, in recent seasons.

You think Cameron is gone?

I thought he might stick it out since he actually came back, to not only school but also the team, after his pops(?) passed away. Still, you may be right. Something has to give, numbers wise. Maybe we don't get all 8.
I like Cameron as well. It may come down to him, Brewer, or Wade. I know the staff really likes Wade, but he needs to qualify by passing the 24 hours. Also, although Touchet is on academic scholarship, that doesn't necessarily mean he will be off his athletic ride. He has earned both, and if does choose to go with the academic scholarship only, that would be huge on his part, in my opinion. Determining the last few spots for next year will be tough, especially if all the guys are eligible.

If you get a chance, take a look at some of Osborne's highlights from last summer when he played for the Canadian national team. He looks to be mostly a slasher type guy, who can hit the open three. I think he will be a contributor.

Last edited:
That is an imposing front court. Especially in a conference like CUSA.

A good pg and 4-5 really solid bench players and this will be Floyd's best team at UTEP.

#FingersCrossed

We are really gonna have to watch out for western Kentucky next year...!!!!

If you get a chance, take a look at some of Osborne's highlights from last summer when he played for the Canadian national team. He looks to be mostly a slasher type guy, who can hit the open three. I think he will be a contributor.

Thanks Lil Train. I'd say he can play. He's a keeper!

Why? What's up with WKU? We were pretty even with them this year. Did they sign some highly touted JUCOs?

They signed a 3 star , 4 star and a 5 star player... if I remember correctly the 5 star player was rated a top ten player in the country and is a 7 footer!!

Why? What's up with WKU? We were pretty even with them this year. Did they sign some highly touted JUCOs?
According to Scout, WKU has the 11th rated class in the nation. Their fans have been talking about it for some time now.

Well fellas...just remember we had the 9th, YES 9th, according to some Joe Schmoe, rated class not too long ago. It ain't always what it seems. I like competition, but hopefully it turns out similarly with them as it did with us.

Last edited:
No I actually want them to do really well.... and mid tenn state and I want Uab to get stronger along with our miners so we can start getting some respect for our conference.... we need the top 5 teams to be extraordinary to make up for the bottom 5

Well fellas...just remember we had the 9th, YES 9th, according to some Joe Schmoe, rated class not too long ago. It ain't always what it seems. I like competition, but hopefully it turns out similarly with them as it did with us.

Difference being, Tim Floyd was in charge of our "highly touted" recruiting class.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
That 2015 class was rated #12 by hoop scoop. 247 sports rated it 43rd. It included Artis who graduated. Lee Moore who turned "pro" overseas. Josh McSwiggan who was suppose to be eligible but then wasn't. He transferred because he missed his girlfriend. Christian Romnie a three star prospect who transfered to Illinois St. Paul Thomas a four star recruit who has stuck around and turned into a man. Kelvin Jones a Prop 48 student who sat out a year but greatly contributed in place of another player who quit then transferred.

That 2015 class was rated #12 by hoop scoop. 247 sports rated it 43rd. It included Artis who graduated. Lee Moore who turned "pro" overseas. Josh McSwiggan who was suppose to be eligible but then wasn't. He transferred because he missed his girlfriend. Christian Romnie a three star prospect who transfered to Illinois St. Paul Thomas a four star recruit who has stuck around and turned into a man. Kelvin Jones a Prop 48 student who sat out a year but greatly contributed in place of another player who quit then transferred.

Alright, so I was off by a few spots. Anyway, my point was that it just didn't pan out like we had anywhere near the 12th ranked team for all the various reasons you mentioned. My other point was that I hope the same misfortune befalls WKU.

Contrary to the opinion of others, I'd rather CUSA's teams suck next year so that our chances of getting into the Dance increase. Don't give two shits about anyone else at this point. Tired of the Miner absence as I fill out my bracket year after year.

(That said, I do root for whatever CUSA team does represent, but until it is all said and done, and we ain't in...**** em all)

⬆️

It don't matter if it was the 12th or 9th best class in the nation. The point is duly noted.

I kind of have to agree with purple on this one. We are stuck in CUSA for the time being so we might as well make the best of it. I would like to see the league return to the top 10. If we can get 6-8 teams in the top 100 with three of those in the top 50 there is a good chance for an at large bid. Take care of our ooc portion and don't lose to any 200+ RPI teams in conference and we will be on the bubble. In case we do get snubbed at the minimum we get an NIT invitation possibly even host a game or two.

The way the league is now is disappointing. With only one team in the top 100 and nine teams at around 200 or above is defleating. Empty arenas on shitty internet streams doesn't seem appealing.

We have a lot of work to do as a conference. If we can all make small steps towards improvement it will benefit all of us. WKU with a top 15 class, MTSU signing Kermit to an extension, NT hiring a new coach to get out of the basement. The potential is there we have to put it all together and make it work.

I would take being the king of the swamp over our current situation any day. I would much rather prefer going into a 20 win Norfolk with 9,000 in attendance. Or returning to the old days of visiting a top 50 Birmingham with a packed house dueling it out for conference seeding. Or hosting WKU with a sold out Don as we decide who will be the #1 seed.

I guess all I'm trying to say is I miss the old days of playing meaningful conference opponents in front of near capacity crowds.

Alright, so I was off by a few spots. Anyway, my point was that it just didn't pan out like we had anywhere near the 12th ranked team for all the various reasons you mentioned. My other point was that I hope the same misfortune befalls WKU.

Contrary to the opinion of others, I'd rather CUSA's teams suck next year so that our chances of getting into the Dance increase. Don't give two shits about anyone else at this point. Tired of the Miner absence as I fill out my bracket year after year.

(That said, I do root for whatever CUSA team does represent, but until it is all said and done, and we ain't in...**** em all)
That's an inaccurate statement. The better the Conference the better the Chan e of NCAA

That's an inaccurate statement. The better the Conference the better the Chan e of NCAA

What exactly did I say that is inaccurate?

You must have misread what I said. I'm basing us going to the Dance by winnng the conf tourney. In that line of thinking, the weaker the field, the better our chances of winning it. Nothing inaccurate about that.

Last edited:
⬆️

It don't matter if it was the 12th or 9th best class in the nation. The point is duly noted.

I kind of have to agree with purple on this one. We are stuck in CUSA for the time being so we might as well make the best of it. I would like to see the league return to the top 10. If we can get 6-8 teams in the top 100 with three of those in the top 50 there is a good chance for an at large bid. Take care of our ooc portion and don't lose to any 200+ RPI teams in conference and we will be on the bubble. In case we do get snubbed at the minimum we get an NIT invitation possibly even host a game or two.

The way the league is now is disappointing. With only one team in the top 100 and nine teams at around 200 or above is defleating. Empty arenas on shitty internet streams doesn't seem appealing.

We have a lot of work to do as a conference. If we can all make small steps towards improvement it will benefit all of us. WKU with a top 15 class, MTSU signing Kermit to an extension, NT hiring a new coach to get out of the basement. The potential is there we have to put it all together and make it work.

I would take being the king of the swamp over our current situation any day. I would much rather prefer going into a 20 win Norfolk with 9,000 in attendance. Or returning to the old days of visiting a top 50 Birmingham with a packed house dueling it out for conference seeding. Or hosting WKU with a sold out Don as we decide who will be the #1 seed.

I guess all I'm trying to say is I miss the old days of playing meaningful conference opponents in front of near capacity crowds.

I hear you. And typically I have agreed with pretty much every point you made. I just don't care anymore about multiple bids...at least until we find ourselves in the Dance. It's a very Miner-centric way of thinking. I think history has demonstrated that our best chance is to win the conference tourney. Our conference is only going to become more and more irrelevant, while more and more power conference teams with 16-14 records fill the void. Unfortunately, it's where the money trail is leading us to, I believe.

I hear you. And typically I have agreed with pretty much every point you made. I just don't care anymore about multiple bids...at least until we find ourselves in the Dance. It's a very Miner-centric way of thinking. I think history has demonstrated that our best chance is to win the conference tourney. Our conference is only going to become more and more irrelevant, while more and more power conference teams with 16-14 records fill the void. Unfortunately, it's where the money trail is leading us to, I believe.
I agree with that. Let's fix ourselves first then worry about the conference after that.

You have to want the conference to get better because that could give us 2-3 bids instead of one which would increase our chances dramatically !! Need the top 6 to really get their stuff together!!

Mid tenn state needs to stay where they are
Uab needs to get bck to being Uab
Western kentucky is looking good !
Utep needs to really step it up
Old dominion used to be a decent bball school

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT