ADVERTISEMENT

MBB roster talk

I agree with JCorona's prediction with a team that will fight to be around .500; similar to this year's team. We know we have two guys we can count on, but after that, just a bunch of question marks. I'd like to see Terry add a late quality grad transfer (like Edwards) to fill in that last ride. If he expects Bieniemy to be eligible, I'd like that transfer to be an athletic big to help Williams down low. I think it was very evident that he wore down last year.

So axing, Corona, and train: how about an early season prediction, even if qualified?
Dang thats a tough one. Too many question marks still. Right now it will be hard to stay .500.

If all works out and we get Bieniemy or a seasoned transfer PG and everybody stays healthy I think we can hit 20 wins and vye for top 4 in conference. The PG will help tremendously (especially on the road). Those should be reasonable minimum goals in year 3. Its gonna take better 3pt shooting, better rim defense and better coaching though also.

Hell. Play the underdog. Lower our standards and lose the drama and see what happens. Our players are decent enough.

Have any of you see the new players play in person. If so what do you think. Also having three guys from the same team is that going to help, or will they be so familiar with each other that overlook their other teammates. I don’t mean intentionally.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Lets hope that CRT has the fortitude to move forward from his recruiting mistake last year. I would like to see Onyema start to get playing time behind BW. If he has any future at all them put him in there. Unless he has made some dramatic improvement, keep Vila on the bench. Efe can play center and probably deserves a few more minutes.

West teams h/a. At Marshall and WKU. Host ODU/Charlotte. Need four more games confirmed.

Akron coming to the Sun Bowl tourney. Not bad, probably be the highlight of the tourney. Previously here in 2016, beat Maryland-Eastern Shore in the championship. UMES was too strong for UTEP that year.

Gloom and doom prediction here. The way we are blundering and stumbling through the virus we may not see football or basketball. The daily count of cases and deaths are not going away and may be getting worse. The biggest obstacle to overcome is our own stupidity. Hurrying carelessly into this pandemic before it's under control is a death wish.

I'm going to be more optimistic. Here's some fantastic news: The number of new Cases and deaths are going down. The death rate per confirmed Corona case is way less than it has been, meaning we are treating it better.

The question is will we get a vaccine or will we reach herd immunity by basketball season. Without either, I don't think many people want to be the person who takes the risk and let seasons proceed (at least at the college and below level).

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I think football is doomed this year, but I think basketball may be ok. I think the kids want to play, but with stipulations. Likely there will be no fans and schools may have to adjust their preseason schedules to save on travel and costs, but overall it should be much easier and for the basketball.

The NCAA already missed one March madness. I dont think they want to miss two and the timing of it may be good especially if there is a vaccine available and players/coaches agree to take it.

If there is no season or the kids opt out im fine with that too. Its their decision. I still can't imagine how the NCAA, the individual schools and the players are going to deal with the scholarship issue if that occurs, but that's life.

Assuming conference play with maybe a few pre conference regional games, what's everybody's prediction now that Bieniemy is eligible? I think he will be a huge boost.

PG Bieniemy/Vuk
SG Boum/Kennedy
SG/SF Kennedy/Sjolund
PF BW/Onyema
C Verhoeven/Odigie

I think we might see even some 'smaller lineups' with BW/Sjolund and 3 guards.

I think we finish at least top 4 in CUSA.

Without seeing a couple of games, I don’t know what to think. Do they have the talent/ability to finish in the Top 4? Yes. Do I think they will? Not at the moment.

Reactions: axingfools1
Without seeing a couple of games, I don’t know what to think. Do they have the talent/ability to finish in the Top 4? Yes. Do I think they will? Not at the moment.
Yep that makes since, but this was the best possible outcome for the team right now. I just hope Terry gets his rotation right and does some better game planning.

I also think that with Sjolund and Onyema here now Terry needs to a very close eye on our other senior regarding his ability to contribute. If he is not hitting 3s or playing strong perimeter D, then let him sit and get the younger guys in there. We have enough leadership and good upperclassmen players now to get the younger guys minutes. We also have a guy in Verhoeven that can defend the center position waaaaay better and Odigie is a much stronger rebounder.

Assuming conference play with maybe a few pre conference regional games, what's everybody's prediction now that Bieniemy is eligible? I think he will be a huge boost.

PG Bieniemy/Vuk
SG Boum/Kennedy
SG/SF Kennedy/Sjolund
PF BW/Onyema
C Verhoeven/Odigie

I like your lineups axing, and believe that we might have the talent to finish in the top four. However, having seen Terry's offense, his substitution patterns, and his lack of flexibility, I'm worried that we might not finish near that high.

I like your lineups axing, and believe that we might have the talent to finish in the top four. However, having seen Terry's offense, his substitution patterns, and his lack of flexibility, I'm worried that we might not finish near that high.

I agree with the sentiment regarding Terry's in-game coaching decisions. I'll reserve further thoughts on MBB until after a couple of actual games.

We have two years of watching Terry's befuddled coaching patterns, player selections and wacky substitutions. We watched as they tried to perform with no point guard and struggled to find any scoring beyond BW and SB. Now that we have at least two points plus hopefully some additional scoring threats maybe we have something.
BTW, White might be a surprise for us as a scorer.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I think this team has no excuses for not competing for the conference title. If it doesn't it's a failure of the staff.

I agree. This is Terry’s make or break year, imo. It’s now or never.

Ive been sour on CRT for his inability to make in game adjustments, his unwillingness to adjust lineups, lack of playing for who’s hot and sitting who’s not, etc.

For the reasons above, and more, I don’t have all that much faith in RT getting it done here, but I would welcome being completely wrong and being surprised by this team somehow getting into the tourney. I would eat a real f*#king crow to go to the dance his year.

Last edited:
I agree. This is Terry’s make or break year, imo. It’s now or never.

Ive been sour on CRT for his inability to make in game adjustments, his unwillingness to adjust lineups, lack of playing who’s hot and sitting who’s not, etc.

For the reasons above, and more, I don’t have all that much faith in RT getting it done here, but I would welcome being completely wrong and being surprised by this team somehow getting into the tourney. I would eat a real f*#king crow to go to the dance his year.
Coog. I think you have mentioned before that you like a deep rotation, but I think tightening things up a bit may actually help Terry disguise some of his rotation and minutes blunders. If he can narrow it down to 7-8 deep by conference time then I think this team has a shot. Obviously some guys may not be happy with only a few minutes here and there, but that may need to be whats done to win. Great coaches do it all the time. Now if Terry can only game plan better we are all set.

Coog. I think you have mentioned before that you like a deep rotation, but I think tightening things up a bit may actually help Terry disguise some of his rotation and minutes blunders. If he can narrow it down to 7-8 deep by conference time then I think this team has a shot. Obviously some guys may not be happy with only a few minutes here and there, but that may need to be whats done to win. Great coaches do it all the time. Now if Terry can only game plan better we are all set.

I do like 9-10 deep for the bulk and meat of the season but I think paring it down to 7-8 coming down the stretch is optimal.

But if we only have 7-8 who are playing well and cohesively during the heart of the season, I’m all for whittling the line up down.

Reactions: axingfools1
According to Kappy Sjolund is awaiting eligibility. He redshirted last year so I'm not sure what the issue is or if this is even correct.

Last edited:
CRT needs to determine what he's got and play them accordingly. Don't want available talent going to waste on the bench like it did last year. There is no non-conference schedule with which to experiment. Hope we aren't screaming again to get certain guys off the bench and onto the court

Last edited:
CRT needs to determine what he's got and play them accordingly. Don't want available talent going to waste on the bench like it did last year. There is no non-conference schedule with which to experiment. Hope we aren't screaming again to get certain guys off the bench and onto the court

Wasn’t aware that there is no non-conference schedule. Must have missed that announcement.....

Andy Katz said a few hours ago a minimum of 4 non conference games.

PG Bieniemy/Vuk
SG Boum/Kennedy
SG/SF Kennedy/Sjolund
PF BW/Onyema
C Verhoeven/Odigie

A lot of people on here are saying that we need a shooter to step up and I agree. I am also hoping that having better PG play helps make the rest of the team better. Bieniemy, at least by his career numbers, is an upgrade at PG from both Hawkins and Lathon and will be able to hopefully get his teammates some easy baskets.

I also hope to see Bieniemy and Vuk (if he's as good as advertised) on the court at the same time sometimes. I really feel like Terry created an unnecessary rivalry between Lathon and Hawkins last year by only playing 1 PG at a time and hurt / divided the team. They need to play for each other and not in spite of each other.

Last edited:
A lot of people on here are saying that we need a shooter to step up and I agree. I am also hoping that having better PG play helps make the rest of the team better. Bieniemy, at least by his career numbers, is an upgrade at PG from both Hawkins and Lathon and will be able to hopefully get his teammates some easy baskets.

I also hope to see Bieniemy and Vuk (if he's as good as advertised) on the court at the same time sometimes. I really feel like Terry created an unnecessary rivalry between Lathon and Hakins last year by only playing 1 PG at a time and hurt / divided the team. They need to play for each other and not in spite of each other.
Yes that may be a great option. If both of them are good players and play well together then I dont see why not. The best players need to be on the floor. Terry had a difficult time with this last year

Just watched the interview with CRT and JB. I have a couple of questions. CRT talked about getting "Christian " eligible. Is he referring to Sjolund or Agnew? I knew there was a ? about Agnew, but I thought I heard something about Sjolund's eligibility as well.
Who are the guys conducting the interview?

Just watched the interview with CRT and JB. I have a couple of questions. CRT talked about getting "Christian " eligible. Is he referring to Sjolund or Agnew? I knew there was a ? about Agnew, but I thought I heard something about Sjolund's eligibility as well.
Who are the guys conducting the interview?
I think it has to be Agnew since Sjolund redshirted last year. This article says both are waiting although I think that must be incorrect.

Check out: https://krod.com/jamal-bieniemy-immediately-eligible-at-utep/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT