ADVERTISEMENT

MBB roster talk

GREAT NEWS!!!!
My source just told me that he's got the green light. They were awaiting Georgia Techs OK and they were dragging their feet.
If true I think this gives us a very solid foundation to find our 8 man lineup with the starters and a 6th man getting a large majority of the minutes. I also think that unless Onyema is a beast right now, he will redshirt.

All we have are videos on the new guys, but based on what I've seen my forecast is BW, SB, JB, TV and KS as starters with backups galore.

The NCAA announced that UTEP redshirt sophomore transfer Kristian Sjolund will be eligible to play during the 2020-21 season. Sjolund is a 6-foot-8 forward who played at ACC program Georgia Tech.

“We’re excited that Kristian will be able to compete this year,” third-year UTEP Head Coach Rodney Terry said. “We expect him to immediately contribute to our team this season. He’s a guy who’s got size, and a pretty good athlete who can really shoot the basketball for his size. He’s a great kid who comes from a great family.”

Reactions: topminer
Watched some take on Sjolind and Bienemy. They both put up rather pedestrian numbers. Neither jumps off the screen at you. I hope I'm wrong I just don't see this team finishing the top half of the league. Honestly I don't think the program gets out of the ditch its been stuck in unless there's a philosophy change. That would probably take a new staff and that ain't happening for the at least the next three years.

Watched some take on Sjolind and Bienemy. They both put up rather pedestrian numbers. Neither jumps off the screen at you. I hope I'm wrong I just don't see this team finishing the top half of the league. Honestly I don't think the program gets out of the ditch its been stuck in unless there's a philosophy change. That would probably take a new staff and that ain't happening for the at least the next three years.
Nobody's been more disappointed and critical of Terry than I have. I’ve been harder on Terry than I ever was with Floyd. I'm still down on him as an X's & O's coach, but I'm hoping this year's crop will be a better meld. The IQ's and attitudes could be a difference grom the egos of the departed.

A lot will depend on the schedule. I have a feeling cusa is going to make a friendly schedule for us. There’s a ton of hype when “UTEP basketball is back.”

If he can shoot 3s and play defense then he will fit right in with Terry's philosophy. Lets just hope that Terry uses him properly. If not then he will just be a smaller version of Vila. I really do think his game will translate well at this level though. Transferring down is a lot different then transferring up.

JB just needs to be himself and run the team. I think his numbers will pop.

All we have are videos on the new guys, but based on what I've seen my forecast is BW, SB, JB, TV and KS as starters with backups galore.
I think that's a strong lineup, but I imagine Terry goes with Kennedy at SF to start because of his defense and time in the program. SJ may be the 1st off the bench though.

If CRT can get White, Hess or Vuk to contribute well then I think we are set

A lot will depend on the schedule. I have a feeling cusa is going to make a friendly schedule for us. There’s a ton of hype when “UTEP basketball is back.”
Maybe we lose the long flights to FIU/FAU, Marshall/WKU and ODU/Charlotte?

I would like to play Marshall/WKU out of the 3. Add UTSA, Rice, UNT, USM, La Tech, MTSU and UAB and that makes the 9 maybe?

Reactions: miner1liner
Maybe we lose the long flights to FIU/FAU, Marshall/WKU and ODU/Charlotte?

I would like to play Marshall/WKU out of the 3. Add UTSA, Rice, UNT, USM, La Tech, MTSU and UAB and that makes the 9 maybe?
My ideal schedule would be LT, Marshall, UAB, and WKU at home.

UNT, Rice, USM and MTSU on the road.

UTSA h/a

Reactions: axingfools1
If he can shoot 3s and play defense then he will fit right in with Terry's philosophy. Lets just hope that Terry uses him properly. If not then he will just be a smaller version of Vila. I really do think his game will translate well at this level though. Transferring down is a lot different then transferring up.

JB just needs to be himself and run the team. I think his numbers will pop.
Kennedy is definitely one of the guys I will be looking at early to see if he can back up the hype. Looking back at guys like Archie and Tarke, it was pretty apparent early on that they were way overhyped. If both Kennedy and Sjolund can step up their games, I can see both possibly starting, along with Bieniemy, Boum, and Williams. I think Williams is capable of defending both 4s and 5s at this level. I don't see Bieniemy as a big scorer, and his stats indicate very few free throws; so he doesn't appear like a guy who attacks the basket. Agnew may be the guy who has an ability to attack the basket, other than Boum. Having another guy who can attack the defense, similar to Edwards last year, would be huge in my opinion.

Nobody's been more disappointed and critical of Terry than I have. I’ve been harder on Terry than I ever was with Floyd. I'm still down on him as an X's & O's coach, but I'm hoping this year's crop will be a better meld. The IQ's and attitudes could be a difference grom the egos of the departed.
He tried tried to hit a home run for year two. He is on local media downplaying but it kind of blew up in his face during Christmas at Hawaii. He made improvements in year two but it wasn't the splash we hope for.

Kennedy is definitely one of the guys I will be looking at early to see if he can back up the hype. Looking back at guys like Archie and Tarke, it was pretty apparent early on that they were way overhyped. If both Kennedy and Sjolund can step up their games, I can see both possibly starting, along with Bieniemy, Boum, and Williams. I think Williams is capable of defending both 4s and 5s at this level. I don't see Bieniemy as a big scorer, and his stats indicate very few free throws; so he doesn't appear like a guy who attacks the basket. Agnew may be the guy who has an ability to attack the basket, other than Boum. Having another guy who can attack the defense, similar to Edwards last year, would be huge in my opinion.
There's a problem with getting Agnew clearance to play because his old school (North Alabama) hasn't cooperated. He could be a similar to Edwards type.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
I had a conversation with one of the players and he has reiterated that this is the best roster he has been around in terms of everyone being a team player with little to no poor personalities. He said that this is translating into everyone playing their best and the team looking great. He also said that Bienemy is legit and all about making the players around him better and not himself. It has been a while since we have had a PG that understands how to distribute the ball.

I had a conversation with one of the players and he has reiterated that this is the best roster he has been around in terms of everyone being a team player with little to no poor personalities. He said that this is translating into everyone playing their best and the team looking great. He also said that Bienemy is legit and all about making the players around him better and not himself. It has been a while since we have had a PG that understands how to distribute the ball.
As disgruntled as I've been with Terry; I can't help being anxious for this next season to finally begin. Guess they're trying to piece together a
schedule. Hope we see it soon.

As disgruntled as I've been with Terry; I can't help being anxious for this next season to finally begin. Guess they're trying to piece together a
schedule. Hope we see it soon.
I dont think I've ever seen a UTEP team take such a dive after a fantastic start like they did last year. There were definitely some chemistry/player issues. Coach Terry didn't help either.

There is a lot of talent here right now. A lot of proven talent and some good young players. More experience. I'm excited too, but cautious. This could be a pretty good team.

Regarding WestTx12's post; the chemistry could be the big difference in converting "attitudes and entitlements " to "let's play for each other".
Hopefully we find that we're better off without the MIA's from last year.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Bienemy proved himself in Big XII play so there is no unknown and is a lock down defender. The ceiling is high for him but he will be playing in CUSA with a target on his back which I'm sure he is well aware of.

Reactions: miner1liner
dam. if UTEP can play some defense anything can happen. No head cases on the team.

1.play better defense
2. shoot a higher percentage on 3's
3. Not turning the ball over 100 times!!!!!

Even with mediocre players, the miners can still play better than last year and even surprise.

We lost tons of athleticism from last year, but if that translates to wins I'm certainly fine with it.

That being said, I do enjoy some nice highlights now and then. I think it's an important part of the game and can help us win more when combined with good play. I'm hoping Kennedy and Sjolund can bring some excitement with their game. Also hoping to see Tydus play a bigger role finishing and protecting the rim this year.

I think we may be looking at these guys getting the most playing time and carrying a LARGE bulk of the minutes (just based on what we know, experience, expectations, practice pictures and player write ups so far). I hope we have a few surprises and a few guys who have progressed, but this is it:

Bienemy, Boum, Kennedy and Vuk
BW, Verhoeven and Sjolund

Hess, Odigie and White will round out the bench.

I believe Onyema will red shirt.

I think we may be looking at these guys getting the most playing time and carrying a LARGE bulk of the minutes (just based on what we know, experience, expectations, practice pictures and player write ups so far). I hope we have a few surprises and a few guys who have progressed, but this is it:

Bienemy, Boum, Kennedy and Vuk
BW, Verhoeven and Sjolund

Hess, Odigie and White will round out the bench.

I believe Onyema will red shirt.
It isn't beneficial for Onyema to red shirt this year since players are getting an extra year of eligibility. He could potentially play this year, red shirt next year, and still be considered a freshman on his 3rd year.

Last edited:
It isn't beneficial for Onyema to red shirt this year since players are getting are getting an extra year of eligibility. He could potentially play this year, red shirt next year, and still be considered a freshman on his 3rd year.
Very true. I didn't think about it that way. I have a gut feeling that Onyema is going to be really good in a few years.

Reactions: picks up
Onyema has 3 dunks in 2 minutes. Odigie has 2 dunks in 3 years. This guy will keep growing and has shown to be super aggressive so far. Get Onyema minutes up front with Williams. Odigie has regressed since losing weight.

Play Sjolund more please. He can play the 3 or 4.

Vuk seems lost so far.

Terry needs to recruit some of us diggers to tell him who of his players he needs to play and who to sit. He can't figure it out.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Onyema has 3 dunks in 2 minutes. Odigie has 2 dunks in 3 years. This guy will keep growing and has shown to be super aggressive so far. Get Onyema minutes up front with Williams. Odigie has regressed since losing weight.

Play Sjolund more please. He can play the 3 or 4.

Vuk seems lost so far.
I must have missed those two dunks. Were they during warmups?

Reactions: axingfools1
I haven't seen a guy attack the rim like Onyema since VH. I understand the 2 teams were played were undersized (especially Sul Ross), but running the baseline and throwing down a spin-around 2 hand jam with authority is some high level athleticism. I don't care who we are playing. Onyema is still growing too. For all we know he could be 6'10" 235lbs at this time next year. I know he is young and a bit raw, but he has to play more minutes IMO.

I like Tydus because of his offensive rebounding/blocking shots, but I can see Onyema playing some center next to BW. He wouldn't have to score much, just finish and defend the rim. Tydus has no offense and for some reason has a hard time finishing. He does his damage with toughness and timing.

Odigie has some skill, but he can't defend the 4, doesn't rebound like he did when he was bigger and is certainly not a threat to intimidate above the rim.

At this point the rotation of JB, Boum, Kennedy, BW and Tydus looks decent. Sjolund 6th man. Onyema and Hess next.

Last edited:
We have 2 of the top players in CUSA. Boum and Williams are both playing pretty darn well. If this team can gel a little better and everybody finds their role then I think we can be top 4 and have a shot come tourny time.

That being said we desperately need Tydus to step up his interior D or we need to see Onyema. Also coach Terry needs to determine who will be shooting 3s and then get those guys the ball in good spots and reward them with minutes if they play well.

Im getting to think all these transfer guys that Terry got were guys that were replaced with better talent at their respective schools. I just don't think Terry has the talent to win games against disciplined well coached teams. Terry is a mediocre coach and with less talent it will be hard to win games. The miners cannot play defense even if there life depended on it. IF they cover the 3 then the other guys drives right by him for easy layups. If they don't guard the 3 then you know what happens. Haskins is watching from above and he is not very happy with their defensive performance

Reactions: MinerMambo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT