ADVERTISEMENT

MBB roster talk

Practice starts next week Oct 15th.

Terry mentioned in a recent interview that Tydus and Efe have been looking really good physically. I think that is good news for BW who wore down last year.

When interviewed, most of the players are mentioning Kennedy as the player to watch.

Also are Bieniemy, Vuk, White, Hess, Kennedy, Sjolund (and potentially Agnew) gonna be better than Lathon, Hawkins, Tarke, Stroud and Archie?

Can Boum step up in driving and shooting and be our leading scorer?

Where does Vila fit in? Will Onyema play or redshirt.

How is Terry gonna manage all these guards and make better decisions?

A "what could've been" story about a UNC recruit who was offered by Terry.

‘There’s only one school for me’: After moving from Arizona to Fayetteville, Westover’s D’Marco Dunn chooses the Tar Heels
Rodd Baxley
The Fayetteville Observer

Without Veronica Johnson, D’Marco Dunn likely wouldn't have found himself in the position he was in on Wednesday afternoon at Westover High School.
Johnson, Dunn’s mother, moved the family to Fayetteville from Arizona in 2019 when she was offered a job on Fort Bragg.
Roy Williams and the Tar Heels owe a point-to-the-passer nod to Johnson, whose assist in bringing Dunn to North Carolina ultimately led to his commitment to the Tar Heels on Wednesday.
“I want to see how far this is gonna take him,” Johnson said. “Because I know, in my mind, he’s going far.”
Dunn, a Tucson-area native, arrived in Fayetteville ahead of the 2019-20 season with a scholarship offer from UTEP and added 20 more schools to his list over the course of a stellar year with the Wolverines.

Each of those programs were represented on a table inside Gene Arrington Gym on Wednesday.
“Oh, man, it’s crazy. That’s my first one right there,” Dunn said, pointing to a UTEP item on the table in front of him.
“A lot of people didn’t know about that. I just kept grinding, stayed with it, and it’s been a rollercoaster, honestly. I went through this and want to thank God for everything that’s happening. I look back and it’s been a huge blessing.”

It was a similar feeling for Johnson, whose mask couldn’t hide her smiling eyes as she watched her son announce his college decision.
“Oh my goodness, what a wonderful journey,” she said. “I’m just really happy that we landed here at Westover and that he got a chance to play on this team and build his skills.”

A 6-foot-4 senior for the Wolverines, Dunn is the first Fayetteville-based player to join the Tar Heels since Jason Capel in 1998.
“How ‘bout that? I think it’s great,” Westover coach George Stackhouse said.
“I think this is maybe the first player from Westover that’s gone to the ACC. It’s a kind of historic moment for our school and community. But I don’t think he’s done. I think he has a lot of great basketball left to play and he’s going to continue to write his story.”

A four-star prospect and the 79th-ranked recruit in the nation, according to 247Sports.com, Dunn helped Westover to a 30-0 record that included a share of the NCHSAA 3-A state title this past season.
He trimmed his list to seven schools in late August with Arizona, Clemson, Georgia, Louisville, Texas, Vanderbilt and UNC making the final cut.
With his mother by his side on Wednesday, Dunn thanked each of the coaches and schools that recruited him before standing up and announcing his decision.
“There’s only one school for me,” Dunn said before unzipping his gray jacket to show that he was donning a UNC t-shirt.
“With all that being said, I’ll be committing to the University of North Carolina.”
An efficient scorer with a smooth shooting stroke, Dunn averaged 20.4 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 2.7 steals in his junior campaign, scoring at least 20 points in three of the Wolverines’ five playoff games. He ended the season as an AP all-state performer and the Best of 910Preps Boys’ Basketball Player of the year.
“They really liked his game and thought he fit with their system well,” Stackhouse said.
“What they do, they’re uptempo, and he really shoots it. Guys that can really shoot it do well there. He fits their program well, even from a character standpoint. I think all of that played a part.”
Shooting was an area of need for the Tar Heels, who made the wrong kind of history this past season. By the end of the 2019-20 season, UNC had recorded the lowest field-goal percentage (42%), 3-point percentage (30.4) and free-throw percentage (68.2) in program history.

Stackhouse added that UNC’s coaches “feel confident” that Dunn can “come in and help them right away.”
“It’s the Carolina way. They sort of do things a certain way and their value system fit what they were looking for in D’Marco,” Stackhouse said.
“Like a lot of players at his skill level, he wants to play professionally someday. He thinks they’ll give him a great platform to kind of continue developing as a player so he can make his dream come true.”
When asked what he can bring to the Tar Heels, Dunn said, “a bucket.”
“Shooting, competing at both ends, and bringing a winning mentality,” he added.
After gathering his own information on UNC, including a look at the program’s style of play and roster, Dunn was confident that Chapel Hill was the place for him.
“Ultimately, it came down to what was the best fit for me,” he said.
In addition to those factors, Johnson said the UNC coaching staff was "genuine and clear" throughout the recruiting process.
"Any questions we had, they answered them," she continued.
"What really sold us was the information they provided us and showing us what they wanted from him. He’s going to have to work hard, of course, but they were clear and concise in what they wanted from him and what they wanted him to give them.”
Despite the coronavirus pandemic, which led to an extended recruiting dead period through the end of the year, Dunn was able to do “a lot of relationship building” with Williams."

Practice starts next week Oct 15th.

Terry mentioned in a recent interview that Tydus and Efe have been looking really good physically. I think that is good news for BW who wore down last year.

When interviewed, most of the players are mentioning Kennedy as the player to watch.

Also are Bieniemy, Vuk, White, Hess, Kennedy, Sjolund (and potentially Agnew) gonna be better than Lathon, Hawkins, Tarke, Stroud and Archie?

Can Boum step up in driving and shooting and be our leading scorer?

Where does Vila fit in? Will Onyema play or redshirt.

How is Terry gonna manage all these guards and make better decisions?
These new guys don't necessarily have the big stats that last year's bunch did coming in, but possibly they have better basketball IQ and better attitudes; which might be more beneficial.

These new guys don't necessarily have the big stats that last year's bunch did coming in, but possibly they have better basketball IQ and better attitudes; which might be more beneficial.
The point guard play will make all the difference. Last year we had no point - this year we do. Also, Terry can’t wait til the end of the season to set a lineup and rotation. We’ll be good.

Reactions: axingfools1
If these new guys don't play as a team we are looking at a repeat of last year. Didn't care for Lathon's ball-handling (or shooting), Hawkins defense, Archie and Tarke were ineffectual and Stroud had potential but wasn't quite ready. Edwards will be missed and somebody has to fill his leadership and shooting role. We need to see Efe step up and show the potential he did his 1st year, Tydus needs to get an offensive game and we need a bookend scorer to go with Williams. Williams is a true talent but if we have to go to him every time down the court we will be in trouble.

Reactions: miner1liner
Right on Skeeter! Potential scorers with BW and SB to me could be Sjolund, White and Hess. Don't know what their "D" amounts to. Hopefully there's a surprise in the group somewhere. Appears we are finally fixed with two legit PGs, so if we get that third and fourth scorer could be a good year

Right on Skeeter! Potential scorers with BW and SB to me could be Sjolund, White and Hess. Don't know what their "D" amounts to. Hopefully there's a surprise in the group somewhere. Appears we are finally fixed with two legit PGs, so if we get that third and fourth scorer could be a good year
Agree. I think we should be pretty strong on defense (as long as Terry doesn't ask certain guys to defend the rim). Offensively we will sorely need that 3rd/4th scorer and three point shooting to step up. I think Sjolund could be one of those guys if eligible

If these new guys don't play as a team we are looking at a repeat of last year. Didn't care for Lathon's ball-handling (or shooting), Hawkins defense, Archie and Tarke were ineffectual and Stroud had potential but wasn't quite ready.
Lathon was the best ball-handler we had, and he was a great passer. He definitely went through a sophomore slump shooting, but it does seem he was legitimately going through some family issues and then the apparent in-fighting between he and Hawkins seemed to throw off the entire team chemistry. I still don't understand what was going on, but if these new guys get along better, that by itself should be an advantage over the poisonous atmosphere of last season.

Lathon was the best ball-handler we had, and. He definitely went through a sophomore slump shooting, but it does seem he was legitimately going through some family issues and then the apparent in-fighting between he and Hawkins seemed to throw off the entire team chemistry. I still don't understand what was going on, but if these new guys get along better, that by itself should be an advantage over the poisonous atmosphere of last season.

I agree. I thought he was underrated as a passer, and even though it’s not saying a whole lot, he was our best ball handler as well, imo too.

Sure would be nice to know the story on Sjolund. Is he or isn't he eligible? What's the hitch? Why the zipped lips from UTEP? Why is it always like pulling teeth to get info?

Sure would be nice to know the story on Sjolund. Is he or isn't he eligible? What's the hitch? Why the zipped lips from UTEP? Why is it always like pulling teeth to get info?
I can't find anything regarding the 1st day of practice.

I can't find anything regarding the 1st day of practice.
This is UTEP basketball, not American spy intel in the Russian government on troop movement in the Balkans for pete's sake! This is the one thing I don't like about Terry.

It's give n take coach. You want the UTEP fan base but keep'em in the dark? I think Stull paranoia flu still lurks with the Covid in the AD office.

I think he’s a helluva player, but I’m not all that convinced that his game translates to the NBA all that well.
I think he's perfectly suited for a small forward, especially if his outside game continues to improve. He's strong, quick, can rebound, he's durable, great FT shooter. I'd say he's comparable to Dorian-Finney Smith with maybe a little more talent.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I see BW as more of an undersized 4 at the next level. Terry compared him to Jeff Green, and I think that is a decent comparison based on their style of game and athleticism. At his age, his path to making an NBA roster will likely be as an undrafted free agent, which will make it more difficult. I do think he is an outstanding college player, and should have a nice professional career in Europe, at a minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think he's perfectly suited for a small forward, especially if his outside game continues to improve. He's strong, quick, can rebound, he's durable, great FT shooter. I'd say he's comparable to Dorian-Finney Smith with maybe a little more talent.

That’s an interesting comparison. Certainly not discounting it, but I do see some advantages that lean towards DFS. Just my own opinion on the matter.

While BW has greatly improved his outside shot, I think Finney-Smith is a much better shooter and better perimeter player. He’s also more athletic and can create his own shot. BW is a better interior player but I question how well he can bang with NBA caliber guys night in, night out.

I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I think Williams fits the mold of Paul Millsap. I can imagine him fitting right in with Denver as a stretch 4 who can rebound and finish in the backup role behind Grant or Porter Jr.

Reactions: kickballpro
The transfer market is gonna get really crazy next year with if they pass the one year transfer clause.

I think he will get his shot at the NBA, but there are a lot of players at his size and skill set. He has to elevate one aspect of his game either, shooting, ball handling or rebounding to really have a legit chance of sticking. As of now he has a lot of quality in his game, but needs that one special area where he is dominant.

I think he’s a helluva player, but I’m not all that convinced that his game translates to the NBA all that well.
6-8/6-9 Forward who Scores, Rebounds, plays Defense and Shoots the 3 at a high clip. You're right totally doesn't translate to the NBA well?

6-8/6-9 Forward who Scores, Rebounds, plays Defense and Shoots the 3 at a high clip. You're right totally doesn't translate to the NBA well?

The leagues overseas are littered with players you just described that come out of cbb from the states.

We had another guy who scored a lot, rebounded, played defense and had a motor that few, if anybody, at utep has come close to matching since. Was just an inch shorter, and even though he didn’t shoot it often, had a higher 3 point shooting average (40%) his last year than BW (35.6%) had last year. Just sayin’.

We’ll see though, huh?

The leagues overseas are littered with players you just described that come out of cbb from the states.

We had another guy who scored a lot, rebounded, played defense and had a motor that few, if anybody, at utep has come close to matching since. Was just an inch shorter, and even though he didn’t shoot it often, had a higher 3 point shooting average (40%) his last year than BW (35.6%) had last year. Just sayin’.

We’ll see though, huh?
VH was one of the most athletically talented players we've ever seen at UTEP. His motor, rebounding and finishing at the rim were astounding. If he were 3 inches taller he'd probably be a starting center in the NBA right now.

I think most of us would agree that he wasn't ready to leave UTEP after 2 years. He had no handle, no shot and no touch or otherwise skillful moves around the rim. He was a poor freethrow shooter and was very foul prone.

VH made 4 three pointers his sophmore year and only shot 60% from the line.

I think BW has more to offer the NBA with better all around skill and game awareness. We'll see if it translates soon enough.

BW is our go to guy. We won’t go anywhere or do anything without him. Love the guy.

However, I don’t think the NBA is in his future. Again, I hope I’m wrong.

I just did a little search just to see if I might be off my rocker. I can’t find ONE mock draft for 2021 that even mentions his name. I know things could change and I hope they do, but I’m not alone in my projection. He’s not even in one mock draft’s top 95. The others only went about 60 deep.

We’ll see though, huh?
For instance Omar Thomas. However Omar was 4 inches shorter than Williams. Im not saying William is a shoe in just yet, but with a good season he's at least a 2nd rounder.

For instance Omar Thomas. However Omar was 4 inches shorter than Williams. Im not saying William is a shoe in just yet, but with a good season he's at least a 2nd rounder.

I hope, but I’m not convinced. He doesn’t even have a profile on nbadraft.net. That is NOT indicative of someone expected to be drafted. If anything, like lil_train said, he’ll probably go in as an undrafted free

Anyway, I don’t want to go on as if it sounds like I don’t want him to make it, so...

That’s an interesting comparison. Certainly not discounting it, but I do see some advantages that lean towards DFS. Just my own opinion on the matter.

While BW has greatly improved his outside shot, I think Finney-Smith is a much better shooter and better perimeter player. He’s also more athletic and can create his own shot. BW is a better interior player but I question how well he can bang with NBA caliber guys night in, night out.

I hope I’m wrong.
Been out-of-pocket all afternoon, but just wanted to say that in comparing BW to DFS, I think DFS has improved each season to the point that he's a major contributor now and with time I could see similar results from BW.

Anther factor is where his potential improvement curve is. He has developed a outside shot which we saw a bit of last year. If he continues his development and we see another jump this year in his abilities, he may be viewed as a player with a big upside, which the NBA teams like.

AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN I ASK, "WHAT'S UP WITH KRITIAN SJOLUND "? I have asked UTEP staff personnel, sent an email to Steve Kaplowitz and they either say, "I don't know " or no answer at all. I just don't get this secretive attitude from the program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT