ADVERTISEMENT

Midseason UTEP basketball drama?

Cuz Terry is soft. He blocked Some other guy for saying this.

I don't blame him for blocking you. He doesn't need that kind of stuff showing up in notifications. Coach Terry has watched more basketball than anyone on here. Sure we can question stuff on here all we want but no coach wants or needs fans telling them what they should/shouldn't do on the court,

I don't blame him for blocking you. He doesn't need that kind of stuff showing up in notifications. Coach Terry has watched more basketball than anyone on here. Sure we can question stuff on here all we want but no coach wants or needs fans telling them what they should/shouldn't do on the court,
It wasn’t me. And that’s weak. He can’t simply ignore the message and carry on with his life? He might as well get off social media and go live in a bubble.

He could have just turned off all notifications and not block anyone...the mute option is much better.

It’s his social media, he can do whatever he wants with it. Who are you guys to tell him, what he should and shouldn’t do with it?

It might be “weak”, but that’s his shit. Nobody tells you what color car to buy, where to eat, etc. Social media is the same. Deal with it and move along.

Recruits read his tweets too so I can see why he might not want those tweets to show up on his timeline.

I can understand blocking a troll but blocking a fan for giving his opinion seems rude. Mute the guy and keep it cordial. The response of blocking someone says a lot more than ignoring the message.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially if you’re not harassing someone or being a dick. But I follow Terry on Twitter and honestly I can’t remember 1 interesting thing he’s said, and the same goes for Dimel so is anyone missing out on anything in the end?
This is absolutely true but I don't think a public figure and one of the faces of the university should be blocking anyone because it looks bad on Terry and the university.

Alex provides coverage to UTEP athletics and gives, in my opinion, fair critisim but isn't overly critical. He provides, and has provided for a long time, coverage to UTEP in a time when local media is talking less and less about the university. For example, last week KVIA tweeted that Hawkins was transferring and by that time this tweet came out we had already been informed that he was returning. I'm not saying that UTEP or Terry owe Alex anything but blocking someone that keeps the conversation going about your program is petty.

I have been saying for over a year now UTEP has put a six inch steel wall around their perimeter and turned on heat seeking turrets for anyone digging for answers on UTEP Sports. This started with Floyd and Stull fiasco with Hunter departure and Kugler melt downs on and off the field and UTEP totally lost control of the narrative, IMO.

Bigwood knows what's going on but he stays in his proper lane without veering into the passing lane.

Reactions: picks up
Have you guys listened to the latest episode of PMB? Alex and Mando talk about their relationship with UTEP. UTEP is very petty and very fan unfriendly. I am unsure why they took this stance, but they are wrong. UTEP is one of the worst programs in D1.

Instead of trying to strong arm the media, they should hire better coaches, win, and try to gain fans, not run them off.

This is absolutely true but I don't think a public figure and one of the faces of the university should be blocking anyone because it looks bad on Terry and the university.

Alex provides coverage to UTEP athletics and gives, in my opinion, fair critisim but isn't overly critical. He provides, and has provided for a long time, coverage to UTEP in a time when local media is talking less and less about the university. For example, last week KVIA tweeted that Hawkins was transferring and by that time this tweet came out we had already been informed that he was returning. I'm not saying that UTEP or Terry owe Alex anything but blocking someone that keeps the conversation going about your program is petty.

That’s a fair point. You can see where (as far as we are concerned) this is a controversy and to many fans here it can be seen as an issue. Alex and Mando addressed it on their podcast and I agree that UTEP Athletics as a whole has an issue taking any criticism. Yet, it’s hard not to argue that a lot of the questions people ask or the issues people have is totally justified. A lot of bigger programs deal with douchebag fans who burn jerseys and kick and scream when they lose 1 single game, and that’s not this fan base.

If fans didn't care about the success or failure of the program it would be quiet and Terry would then have reason to be upset.
Fans are concerned because results aren't living up to their expectations. He is overly sensitive when his decisions and techniques are questioned if he resorts to blocking those who speak out. To me this reveals that he too is questioning his decisions and techniques.

Have you guys listened to the latest episode of PMB? Alex and Mando talk about their relationship with UTEP. UTEP is very petty and very fan unfriendly. I am unsure why they took this stance, but they are wrong. UTEP is one of the worst programs in D1.

Instead of trying to strong arm the media, they should hire better coaches, win, and try to gain fans, not run them off.
Thanks for recognizing this my man....I totally agree.

+1 more content like this from you. Great take.

This has always been my take. If the Miners won games and important ones too, my outlook would be totally different.
To add to your original point about running off fans.

Our students don’t care about the program. The one student who attends every game is ran off for making one simple observation.

I’ve been following him for a while and he knows his shit. He has a high sports iq.

No wonder the fan base is dying and there’s no up and coming students to fill the void.

Being a prick to the media is the trend — see Trump, Belichick, Saban, etc.

I also think our local sportscasters don’t command much respect.

Big difference. Not talking about Trump and other politicians here.

Belicheck and Saban are two of the best football coaches in America. Rodney Terry, Jim Senter, and Dana Dismel are not the best of anything. Our staff has not “deserved” the right to totally avoid legit questions about the players and goings on for their programs.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
To add to your original point about running off fans.

Our students don’t care about the program. The one student who attends every game is ran off for making one simple observation.

I’ve been following him for a while and he knows his shit. He has a high sports iq.

No wonder the fan base is dying and there’s no up and coming students to fill the void.
Yep. And it doesn't help the potential for a student athletic fee either. Just another reason to say NO.

I wonder if Senter and the chosen fan group have ever discussed UTEP's openness to the media and fans or a student athletic fee to subsidize the athletic department?

If this weird shit continues I will cancel my season tickets again...every person matters

Yep. And it doesn't help the potential for a student athletic fee either. Just another reason to say NO.

I wonder if Senter and the chosen fan group have ever discussed UTEP's openness to the media and fans or a student athletic fee to subsidize the athletic department?

If this weird shit continues I will cancel my season tickets again...every person matters

Does the chosen fan group still meet? I haven’t seen any communication from UTEP regarding it in awhile. Senter started off good, but has fallen flat since Dismel’s first game.

Reactions: Autograph Boy

Whatever happened to #EPMAD Wasn’t that Senter’s slogan?

Big difference. Not talking about Trump and other politicians here.

Belicheck and Saban are two of the best football coaches in America. Rodney Terry, Jim Senter, and Dana Dismel are not the best of anything. Our staff has not “deserved” the right to totally avoid legit questions about the players and goings on for their programs.

My point was simply that respect for the media is at an all time low.

Reactions: JCorona
I think Terry has done fine up until this recent fiasco that precipitated his condescending interview and him blocking people on social media. Let's hope it's a rough patch and not a regular thing.

The bigger concern is getting these players to play better and presenting the team with the right rotations and opportunities. Just a few adjustments here or there may mean 2-3 point victories instead of 2-3 point losses. He had much more leeway when that was happening. It would be nice if he could address this with some affirmation.

My message to Terry is that coaching is not brain surgery (despite the fact you make more money). Your butt will be on the line eventually if you keep messing up, so you better be willing to address what everybody can see and whatever you might be hiding. You certainly don't have to address individual fans, but you should address the media and UTEP fans with some decent info and respect.

I think Terry has done fine up until this recent fiasco that precipitated his condescending interview and him blocking people on social media. Let's hope it's a rough patch and not a regular thing.

The bigger concern is getting these players to play better and presenting the team with the right rotations and opportunities. Just a few adjustments here or there may mean 2-3 point victories instead of 2-3 point losses. He had much more leeway when that was happening. It would be nice if he could address this with some affirmation.

My message to Terry is that coaching is not brain surgery (despite the fact you make more money). Your butt will be on the line eventually if you keep messing up, so you better be willing to address what everybody can see and whatever you might be hiding. You certainly don't have to address individual fans, but you should address the media and UTEP fans with some decent info and respect.
Vila started off strong. Needs to get out of his funk.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially if you’re not harassing someone or being a dick. But I follow Terry on Twitter and honestly I can’t remember 1 interesting thing he’s said, and the same goes for Dimel so is anyone missing out on anything in the end?

Exactly!! I don't understand why some people have to be drama queens and tweet and go on podcasts talking about why somebody blocked them on Twitter.

Who cares if Terry blocked somebody? His Twitter isn't exciting in the first place and like 8106 said he doesn't say anything interesting.

I don't understand would anybody would be upset being blocked on Twitter by Terry.

Well, it's pretty stupid for Terry to block anyone. I know he blocked Alex and Jonathan. What a little bitch move. Alex is all in with the Miners AND he knows his shit. (eff Mando....dude should NEVER be hosting anything ever...period. flat out worthless...my man...) Dont want to deal with questions? get off twitter bitch

Reactions: MinerJo
Well, it's pretty stupid for Terry to block anyone. I know he blocked Alex and Jonathan. What a little bitch move. Alex is all in with the Miners AND he knows his shit. (eff Mando....dude should NEVER be hosting anything ever...period. flat out worthless...my man...) Dont want to deal with questions? get off twitter bitch

Not stupid at all. He can do what he wants. People shouldn't get their panties in a bunch when somebody blocks them.

I bet you wouldn't call Terry a bitch in person and I bet you won't tell Mando he is worthless in person.

Actually, it obvious you don't know me cuz like...I don't give a shit. I am known to be a total asshole....Right Randy? LOL I'm not escared of these guys....
If you are in the public eye, AND you put yourself out there being on twitter, you need to put your big boy panties on and take it....

Great. Can't wait to see you those things to Terry and Mando.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT