ADVERTISEMENT

Midseason UTEP basketball drama?

Yeah this ain’t over and things aren’t about to get better, I fear.

I had to go watch the clip again. I’m not a psychiatrist or psychologist, but I’ve done my fair share of counseling work in schools and the community. Check out how relaxed Hawkins’ face and especially forehead look before the Lathon question, then look at those two things after. The energy shift. Night and day. I believe you’re right jcorona. On the exterior they may try to present a united front but I’d say there is some shit brewing behind the scenes. Hopefully it’s not a whole team plague and just a guy or two are caught up in it. Things haven’t seemed right for a while with this team, though.

Yeah this ain’t over and things aren’t about to get better, I fear.
I just can't see these guys playing for 2.5 years together; and now both competing for the same spot. Reminds me a bit of the Stefon Jackson/Jason Williams incident in practice during the 2005 season. The difference is that Williams was a senior on that team, and Jackson was just a freshman.

Props to the reporter for asking a real question. A simple question, but very telling. Ask real questions, get real answers.

He’ll probably be banned from anything Miner bb related. Lol.

Hawkins wasn’t expecting that question and his facial expressions reveal so much to speculate on. This team will go the way their relationship goes. One can only wonder what happened. We are talking about teenagers so it could be anything.

Hawkins better be starting on thursday. He deserves it. We should be playing 4 guards, 2 SF and 4 bigs. I want to see this lineup and see us run, score, rebound and defend. Bring 5 guys off the bench and maintain pressure.

Efe
Williams
Stroud
Edwards
Hawkins

Tydus, Tarke, Archie, Lathon and Boum off the bench and keep running!

Last edited:
It seems almost a given that either Lathon or Hawkins will be gone once the season ends. Throw in Williams potentially leaving and this team could have some holes to fill next year.

I’m not trying to be negative and I am certainly not trying to read too much into the situation but it sounds like there are some serious internal issues at work here. And whatever personal issues there are it seems like they have not been resolved because that was not the response you’d want to hear if your friend/team mate returned to the team after dealing with a personal tragedy.

Props to Terry for stopping a mass defection a couple of weeks ago but I have serious doubts these two can play together for two more years especially when it is so easy to transfer and both players have their redshirt year as well.

Also props to that reporter who asked that question. I’m sure Terry may be annoyed with the reporter and even Hawkins for what happened but it is what it is. If there are issues, they are not going to disappear if this interview didn’t happen. UTEP Athletics is in such a bad place right now that this story is a non issue for the vast majority of El Pasoans and it will be gone as quick as it came. Also if there aren’t issues then they can all have a laugh at our expense.

Last edited:
Hawkins better be starting on thursday. He deserves it. We should be playing 4 guards, 2 SF and 4 bigs. I want to see this lineup and see us run, score, rebound and defend. Bring 5 guys off the bench and maintain pressure.

Efe
Williams
Stroud
Edwards
Hawkins

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately I'm worried that we'll see 30+ minutes each for Lathon, Boum, and Edwards, maybe 12 to 15 minutes each for Efe and Hawkins, spot minutes for Stroud, and more minutes for Vila than any of us not named Fili can stand.

Efe
Williams
Stroud
Edwards
Hawkins

Didn't think Hawkins had a control of the team on the road against the Florida teams. I don't know if it makes much of a difference who starts.

Efe
Williams
Stroud
Edwards
Hawkins

I really like this line-up, although I would put in Archie for Stroud.

I really like this line-up, although I would put in Archie for Stroud.
I was a big Vila fan and still am. I hope he pulls it together like he did at the beginning. His lock down defense and rebounding were solid and UTEP needs that.

Didn't think Hawkins had a control of the team on the road against the Florida teams. I don't know if it makes much of a difference who starts.

I thought that Hawkins' play against FIU was meh, no worse than what Lathon has been providing lately, but nothing to write home about. I thought that his play against FAU was much better than what we've been receiving from Lathon, especially late in the first half. During that stretch he played with energy and agression, and was key in the Miners turning a 6 point deficit into a 3 point halftime lead. Like axing, I'm hoping that he starts tonight.

Reactions: miner1liner
Seemed overcome with excitement at Lathon's return. Back to Drama 101. The future of this team is in a delicate balance. Do we think the coaches are capable of getting this under control?
IMO the only way terry can control this situation is by picking one of the two. He won’t because he needs them both and it’s better for the team if they can work it out. I have no idea what the beef is between Lathon and Hawkins. Until those two forgive and forget whatever happened, I don’t think Terry or anyone else can mediate the relationship.

One of the things a coach has to do these days is keep recruiting his kids. It's not just a one shot deal anymore. You're constantly reassuring these young impressionable guys to stick with the program and sometimes their parents. He's doing a good job of that so let's give him credit.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
IMO the only way terry can control this situation is by picking one of the two. He won’t because he needs them both and it’s better for the team if they can work it out. I have no idea what the beef is between Lathon and Hawkins. Until those two forgive and forget whatever happened, I don’t think Terry or anyone else can mediate the relationship.
They lost to mediocre CUSA Florida teams; I am not totally optimistic but I am glad Lathon is back because I feel he is a better shooter than Hawk and rebounder.

They lost to mediocre CUSA Florida teams; I am not totally optimistic but I am glad Lathon is back because I feel he is a better shooter than Hawk and rebounder.

I prefer Hawkins to Lathon. Hawkins seems to be better at attacking the rim to me. Hawkins is the better shooter percentage-wise

Hawkins shoots 37.3 FG%, 31.3 3P%
Lathon shoots 34.2 FG% and 23.1 3P%

Lathon also seems to lack an arc on his shot

Reactions: USAFminersfan
One of the things a coach has to do these days is keep recruiting his kids. It's not just a one shot deal anymore. You're constantly reassuring these young impressionable guys to stick with the program and sometimes their parents. He's doing a good job of that so let's give him credit.

My guess is there isn't much he can do in this situation. It's obvious the departure and return of Hawkins was directly related to Lathon, be it personal issue or playing time.

My guess is Hawkins will re-enter the portal. The kid isn't happy and he's not making a huge effort to hide it..

Last edited:
Question: Can one enter the transfer portal twice in the same year?? My question is in regards to Hawkins, wondering if he does indeed decide to transfer, would he be eligible to enter his name in the transfer portal again this year since he retracted it, or must he wait til the end of the year now?

Question: Can one enter the transfer portal twice in the same year?? My question is in regards to Hawkins, wondering if he does indeed decide to transfer, would he be eligible to enter his name in the transfer portal again this year since he retracted it, or must he wait til the end of the year now?
My understanding is yes.
https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may/06/how-does-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-work/

http://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/what-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-is/

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I think at this point it’s in their best interest to tough it out until the end of the semester. The perfect time to transfer was when they first entered the portal.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I think at this point it’s in their best interest to tough it out until the end of the semester. The perfect time to transfer was when they first entered the portal.
I think there's room on the team for both Lathon and Hawkins; just give most of Boum's minutes to Hawkins. Hawkins has earned more minutes and Boum has earned fewer.

Boum seldom misses at the free through line. That means his shooting percentage has room to grow and we need him in crunch time.
Hawkins averages over 75% from the free throw line, which is plenty good enough. I'd rather Hawkins take some of Boum's minutes to deprive him of the opportunity for another 2-12 shooting night.

If Boum gets hot one night, then keep him in. But giving him 38 minutes on a 2-12 shooting night is insanity.

Hawkins averages over 75% from the free throw line, which is plenty good enough. I'd rather Hawkins take some of Boum's minutes to deprive him of the opportunity for another 2-12 shooting night.

If Boum gets hot one night, then keep him in. But giving him 38 minutes on a 2-12 shooting night is insanity.

I agree. He plays good defense, but not spectacular enough to justify 38 minutes on a night like that. How can the coaching staff not see that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT