ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Price for AD??

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
Does this make any sense? I mean, could he bring something to the table that turn things around?

Does this make any sense? I mean, could he bring something to the table that turn things around?
Yes!!!!!!
I'm In!!
Mike Price knows what it takes to be successful and is able to work with the boosters to bring a top notch coach.
I heard all of the boosters love Mike Price!

I agree that he was a great cheerleader for the program and the community loved that. A big problem right now is that neither Floyd or Kugler seem to have that personality. But I will give Floyd a pass for for defending El Paso's honor in the Bahamas v Andy Enfield.
I would have reservations about hiring Price as AD for a couple of resons. The main thing to me is he is 71 and time would not be on his side when it comes to turning around UTEP Athletics.
I do believe that Stull or the new AD should give him a job with the Athletic Department. Give him some sort of "community ambassador" title a la Magic with the Dodgers and let him be UTEP's #1 public cheerleader.

I definitely agree with the sentiment that he would probably be a good AD, but don't you all think he is a little old for the job? At 71, how many good years could he put into the program before the school needs to find a replacement? I'd rather them bring in someone that hasn't started collecting social security benefits.

I wouldn't mind him, but I think a young, up and coming, AD is the way to go.

Speaking of our AD situation, has anyone heard any rumors regarding our AD search??? Hopefully there is an active search going on now. I don't like the fact Stull is staying on board until his successor is found cause Stull might stretch this out till the end of the year and we are stuck with Kugler another year.

The new AD should have great ties to the Mountain West Conference. The highest priority for the program should be finding a way to get in the MWC.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
It has already been mentioned but age would be a big negative on why not to hire him. Then again if he gives us a good 3-5 years and gets the programs going in the right direction it wouldn't be a loss. This article is about three years old but I don't think the figures have changed too much.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/06/09/In-Depth/Wong-column.aspx?

What about we fire Kugler and bring Price as interim HC?

The new AD should have great ties to the Mountain West Conference. The highest priority for the program should be finding a way to get in the MWC.

+1000

I honestly can't believe this still hasn't happened. The MWC used to tout academics as an excluder for many programs (like SJSU and BSU), but UTEP has a bigger endowment than most of the new MWC members, and the days of BYU and Utah are long gone. Joining the MWC would definitely go a long way in generating fan interest again.

Only if he would be ALL in. He would have to bring an extraordinary amount of energy to the job. Does he still have the type of stamina to turn an athletic department 180 degrees? If not, I think we need to go young and innovative.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
How about a combination, offer MP the position for three years, mutually agreed upon by all parties for each of the three years. Price could then help with the selection of a truly talented young assistant, ideally someone currently associated with a successful AD at a P5 program, to essentially intern during the transition under Price. Good chance Dr. Natilicio will also retire within that time frame, so MP could not only tutor the Assistant AD but also grease the skids with the local donors and community. Price could do the dirty work with Kugler and Floyd, allowing the AD in waiting to hire his own. Consider the irony of Price firing Kugler after the incessant bad-mouthing he laid on Price after he took the UTEP job.

This scenario is contingent on Price's energy level (see FanatiCoog's post above) and the university truly willing to clean house and install a universal mindset in the athletic department that refuses to lose. Otherwise just promote from within and hit the repeat cycle.

We don't need a 71 year old AD. We have that now and had that with John Thomason.We need Young Blood.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT