ADVERTISEMENT

More UTEP Football Drama

Which year will have more wins?

Votes: 8 47.1%

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
So Dimel says the Miners have a shot at a bowl if they beat UNT and get to 4-4. He also says the 4 DB's in the transfer portal won't play. UNT has a good passing game. All 4 of those guys were starters, 3 of them all season. Why transfer before the last game and possible bowl game? This game could be ugly with 3 or 4 DB starters out and on the road. Couple of months ago we all thought this game should be a Miner win.

Reactions: EMA884
So Dimel says the Miners have a shot at a bowl if they beat UNT and get to 4-4. He also says the 4 DB's in the transfer portal won't play. UNT has a good passing game. All 4 of those guys were starters, 3 of them all season. Why transfer before the last game and possible bowl game? This game could be ugly with 3 or 4 DB starters out and on the road. Couple of months ago we all thought this game should be a Miner win.

Yeah, it's going to be rough. The best we can hope for is that they play a bunch of young guys and get them some experience for next season. Sounds like that's not going to happen though, since he thinks they have a shot at a bowl game.

I see Dimel is already trying to spin this season. Miner desperately need to win. Can't go three years with only one conference win. Next year already looks rough on defense. This season has been smoke and mirrors. We barely beat two FCS schools one of whom was beaten soundly at home by a d2 squad (ACU). We managed to beat the worst fbs team which is an accomplishment.

However, we're still plagued with poor discipline. Pre snap penalties are still a huge issue. If we would have played our original schedule I think we would have been 1-11 which is not progress in year three. Some of our best players have already entered the portal. That will be terrible for next year's team. On offense we still have a huge question mark at qb. Hardison regressed throughout the season and hasn't proven he can be consistent enough to be a d1 starting qb. The running backs are solid. We lose Garrett from the receiving core that leaves only Cowing returning next year. There doesn't seem to be great depth at receiver. We need JUCO help at alot of positions.

Right now we're all holding are breath waiting to see if any one else enters the portal. There are a few guys people are worried about who if they left we would be f***** next year.

I was feeling pretty good about this team in early October. However now that optimism has faded. Its obvious there are serious issues in the program. It would make everyone feel better if we could get a win on Friday. If we get blown out its really hard to justify letting Dimel come back for year for four. At this point there no results to show for the first three years of the Dimel era. We are hemorrhaging talent and there is an open question as to whether Dimel has lost this team.

I don't believe with a win that we will be in a bowl game regardless. With less bowls this year, they will be looking for a name team over UTEP even with a losing record. 2 wins over sub division 1 teams, and another over a winless team is not impressive. They will look for the biggest "name" matchup for tv ratings as fans will most likely not be an issue this year.

I think that Dimel is just trying to make his season look more impressive than it is by saying they were one win away from a bowl game when they fall short against UNT.

I hope we lose to UNT so maybe we can move on. We do have a few young and talented players that need better coaching. Sorry peeps.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I hate UNT more than any other Texas team. I don’t know why but their fans rub me the wrong way. A must win game in my book. We all know Dimel is coming back so be ready for another year of getting kicked around.

The thing that is really perplexing to me, is why not get the young guys a lot of playing time? It should have been pretty obvious to them when watching practice that these red shirt juniors and red shirt seniors are not at the level to make UTEP a contending team. There's just no reason to keep playing these upperclassmen and watching them make the same mistakes over and over again. At some point, the coaches need to come to the realization that they're just not any good and move on. Typically, you want to give a new coach a minimum of four years to bring their players in, but it seems that he's not really trying to build a program from ground up. Not quite sure why he keeps selling the idea that they're in a position to win right now. This program needed to be torn down to the studs and rebuilt. Hopefully, if they do move on, the next guy will see that and make the necessary adjustments.

Bad time to look to transfer so much instability. I think most programs are looking just to hang on, not looking to reload bring in players etc. Plus most have made recruiting commitments and with the extra eligibility going to carry more than full rosters. I think these guys are going to have limited options. I also think this is heat of the moment kind of decision and there may be some reconciliation to be made after the season is over.
Agree 100%. Its coaching 101. If 2 players are equal then play the younger one. If 2 players are equal and same class and one has more upside then play him/her.

If all is lost then play a bunch of young guys and build for the future.

Problem is some coaches never think all is lost or they play favorites

I thought we were young?? Except at LB and Secondary. Gonna have to go young at Secondary this week.

I thought we were young?? Except at LB and Secondary. Gonna have to go young at Secondary this week.

I guess it depends what you call young. I think once you hit 21/22 you're no longer young. At that age you should be entering your athletic prime. If you're not good by then, you're most likely not going to ever be. We have a lot of guys playing that are in that age range and older that just aren't very good and most likely wont be getting better. We should be using this wasted year to get some playing experience for the 18-20 guys. Next year we could have been young with a decent amount of game experience. Now depending on who leaves, we're going to be young with very little playing experience.

It’s expected that Dimel wasn’t going to use a free year to give players game day experience. Last season we had two young unproven qbs and instead of letting them develop during the four games the ncaa allows he stuck with his senior qbs.

I hate UNT more than any other Texas team. I don’t know why but their fans rub me the wrong way. A must win game in my book. We all know Dimel is coming back so be ready for another year of getting kicked around.

Because they suck and act like they're some big time respected program. They were so small time they weren't acknowledged by the SWC. Our team has been historically awful and we admit it. They act like they're as historic as SMU and TCU (both of whom I despise)

Reactions: kickballpro
Taco1977, have you heard anything about Q Workman no longer being on the team?

I posted a few weeks back that some WRs are looking to transfer. He's one of the names that I heard. I've not heard anything official as far as they put their names in the transfer portal. I will say though, we should all expect to see double digit numbers this offseason.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Its bad if somebody who didn't see the field wants to transfer. This is a tough year for that. He may have to go to a JUCO.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these guys end up having a change of heart. With everyone receiving a free year there’s a good chance that it will be tough for these kids to find opportunities elsewhere.

Another issue is grades. 100% online requires a different mindset and discipline. Its less personal.

The wheels are already off. When was the last time the UTEP football program actually had wheels?

Maybe the Kugler New Mexico Bowl season?
More like when Bob Stull was HC here. That was probably the closest UTEP has ever been to having to all 4 wheels being on. The program has always been a complete disaster for the most part.

Last edited:
Since college sports have been so boring to me this year, I have been enamored with football recruiting at the highest levels after learning another Manning is coming up the QB/SEC pipeline and became curious and came up with these basic numbers in regards to Dimel and UTEP football recruiting since he took over, keep in mind this a rough draft, some stats might not be accurate but you get the point.....

• class of 2018, 28 signees, only 10 have cracked the two-deep depth chart
  • class of 2019, 37 signees, only 9 have cracked the two deep chart to date
  • class of 2020, 33 signees, only 3 have cracked the two deep depth chart to date.

What does this mean?

UTEP has added 98 players under Dana Dimel per Rivals, and only 22 of them have actually done anything so far, I don't think that is a good number or percentage for someone who inherited a dumpster fire of a roster, also meaning Dimel has done NOTHING to purge or overhaul the roster of former Kugler recruited "talent" .

His best recruit IMO is JUCO DT Kelton Moss who might find his way on a NFL roster as a undrafted FA in a few years, but other than that, Dimel has not recruited a single impact or star player or group of those yet who has had a winning impact.

Hankins is kinda close, so is Cowing, but Dimel's coaching short comings do not allow Hankins or Cowing to truly shine.

Basically put, 77.6% of the players Dimel has signed or had walk on have either transferred or just wasting roster space and it shows this roster has a very small percentage of actual FBS talent who could crack a depth chart at another G5 school or CUSA school.

The roster Dimel has built so far is a mediocre FCS roster at best, that mixed with terrible game management and other small things leads to Dimel needing to be canned after this season in my opinion, no talent, no future, no hope, Senter should get wacked too.... Dimel only has one two-star QB committed for 2021.

thank you for reading, and have a great day.

You want to lose Hardison or Hankins? I don't. They'll be snatched up by a power conference school quickly if Dimel were to be canned. I want to see them graduate in Miner Orange. Second, UTEP could, if motivated, to buy out his contract but they are not going to pull that trigger. Third, I realize you all don't want to hear this but Dimel has a good reputation in college recruiting and I agree, it's just not translating into wins and that's what President Wilson needs to ask him "why?!" with a straight face and remind him that UTEP is a Tier 1 school not because it looks nice on print, but research professors have to bring in huge research dollars and he being a D1 coach means he too has to keep his end of the deal like all other UTEP teaching and research staff: butts on benches (post Covid) and keep the budget in the black.

That sucks if Workman does leaves. Dimel did a terrible job of mixing in young guys this year. If makes no sense to me that he would not play more young guys given that it isn't going to cost a year of eligibility.

You want to lose Hardison or Hankins? I don't. They'll be snatched up by a power conference school quickly if Dimel were to be canned. I want to see them graduate in Miner Orange. Second, UTEP could, if motivated, to buy out his contract but they are not going to pull that trigger. Third, I realize you all don't want to hear this but Dimel has a good reputation in college recruiting and I agree, it's just not translating into wins and that's what President Wilson needs to ask him "why?!" with a straight face and remind him that UTEP is a Tier 1 school not because it looks nice on print, but research professors have to bring in huge research dollars and he being a D1 coach means he too has to keep his end of the deal like all other UTEP teaching and research staff: butts on benches (post Covid) and keep the budget in the black.

Hardison isn't going to be snatched up by anyone. The longer Dimel is the coach the more damage he does to the program. Talent isn't the issue, coaching is.

Last edited:
Since college sports have been so boring to me this year, I have been enamored with football recruiting at the highest levels after learning another Manning is coming up the QB/SEC pipeline and became curious and came up with these basic numbers in regards to Dimel and UTEP football recruiting since he took over, keep in mind this a rough draft, some stats might not be accurate but you get the point.....

• class of 2018, 28 signees, only 10 have cracked the two-deep depth chart
  • class of 2019, 37 signees, only 9 have cracked the two deep chart to date
  • class of 2020, 33 signees, only 3 have cracked the two deep depth chart to date.

What does this mean?

UTEP has added 98 players under Dana Dimel per Rivals, and only 22 of them have actually done anything so far, I don't think that is a good number or percentage for someone who inherited a dumpster fire of a roster, also meaning Dimel has done NOTHING to purge or overhaul the roster of former Kugler recruited "talent" .

His best recruit IMO is JUCO DT Kelton Moss who might find his way on a NFL roster as a undrafted FA in a few years, but other than that, Dimel has not recruited a single impact or star player or group of those yet who has had a winning impact.

Hankins is kinda close, so is Cowing, but Dimel's coaching short comings do not allow Hankins or Cowing to truly shine.

Basically put, 77.6% of the players Dimel has signed or had walk on have either transferred or just wasting roster space and it shows this roster has a very small percentage of actual FBS talent who could crack a depth chart at another G5 school or CUSA school.

The roster Dimel has built so far is a mediocre FCS roster at best, that mixed with terrible game management and other small things leads to Dimel needing to be canned after this season in my opinion, no talent, no future, no hope, Senter should get wacked too.... Dimel only has one two-star QB committed for 2021.

thank you for reading, and have a great day.

I'm surprised to see the 2019 and 2020 numbers to be honest. It doesn't seem like they're putting any young players in. I will say, there are a few young guys that move very well. They're physically not D1 players, but if they can add some muscle they could be very good down the road. Those seem to be the players they're getting right now. Players that are very good athletes, but are underdeveloped physically. Sometimes those type of players turn into pros.

I'm surprised to see the 2019 and 2020 numbers to be honest. It doesn't seem like they're putting any young players in. I will say, there are a few young guys that move very well. They're physically not D1 players, but if they can add some muscle they could be very good down the road. Those seem to be the players they're getting right now. Players that are very good athletes, but are underdeveloped physically. Sometimes those type of players turn into pros.
Yup I agree with you.

What are you describing is exactly what Sean Kugler did here before Dimel was given a lot of Money and a cushy contract by UTEP Athletic Director Jim Senter. (I typed Bob Stull at first and had to erase like a dumbass)

Dana Dimel is officially Kugler 2.0 after three seasons.

Dana Dimel is officially Kugler 2.0 after three seasons.
[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with you on this point. Dana Dimel isn't near as good a coach as Kugler. Thats all you need to know about the state of UTEP football.

All you have to do is look at an opening like Arkansas State to realize that UTEP is miles behind even Sun Belt teams. As fans, we have to realize that this is one of the worst jobs in College Football. And being a consistent loser on the field and in recruiting is compounding the problem.

All you have to do is look at an opening like Arkansas State to realize that UTEP is miles behind even Sun Belt teams. As fans, we have to realize that this is one of the worst jobs in College Football. And being a consistent loser on the field and in recruiting is compounding the problem.

UTEP had to fight tooth and nail to remodel the Sun Bowl. This is why I believe they won’t fire Dimel because they don’t have a pile of cash laying around especially coming off a pandemic. But it’s unfortunate that ever day we are falling further and further behind.

Name another g5 school who has spent three decades over inflating its basketball tradition. We've put more money into basketball than football. We've never committed to football in a way we've needed to. What do we have to show for it a shit basketball program who has made three tourney appearances in 30 years. Whatever tradition there was is long dead. To add to it we have a trainwreck of a football program. By far the dumbest most incompetent strategy employed by any athletic department in the country.

Last edited:
Opted out for the season with one game to go.

Why are people so worked up about Workman? He's been in the program two years he hasn't played. He had one fbs offer out of high school: UTEP. He only had one fcs offer: Hampton. There aren't going to be people knocking down this kids door. If he leaves he likely drops all the way to d2 or goes to a JUCO. This is certainly the worse year in history for a player with his resume to transfer. Its sounds like he might be getting some really bad advice.

Why are people so worked up about Workman? He's been in the program two years he hasn't played. He had one fbs offer out of high school: UTEP. He only had one fcs offer: Hampton. There aren't going to be people knocking down this kids door. If he leaves he likely drops all the way to d2 or goes to a JUCO. This is certainly the worse year in history for a player with his resume to transfer. Its sounds like he might be getting some really bad advice.
He doesn’t want to leave.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT