ADVERTISEMENT

More UTEP Football Drama

Which year will have more wins?

Votes: 8 47.1%

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
I was told that he was no longer at practice. He was also removed from the roster.

I would like to see him back, he started the season on the two deep as a freshman and we still have not really seen what he can do. The shame is that this would have been the perfect season for Dimel to play him and see what he could do?

Last edited:
Reactions: kickballpro
I was told that he was no longer at practice. He is also no longer listed on the roster.

I would like to see him back, he started the season on the two deep as a freshman and we still have not really seen what he can do. The shame is that this would have been the perfect season for Dimel to play him and see what he could do?
For some unknown reason Dimel does not take advantage of opportunities to get game experience for young/new players. Didnt do it for TJ or Workman or a number of other players. One of the frustrating things about Dimel.

Name another g5 school who has spent three decades over inflating its basketball tradition. We've put more money into basketball than football. We've never committed to football in a way we've needed to. What do we have to show for it a shit basketball program who has made three tourney appearances in 30 years. Whatever tradition there was is long dead. To add to it we have a trainwreck of a football program. By far the dumbest most incompetent strategy employed by any athletic department in the country.
For some unknown reason Dimel does not take advantage of opportunities to get game experience for young/new players. Didnt do it for TJ or Workman or a number of other players. One of the frustrating things about Dimel.

In Dimel’s defense he doesn’t have the luxury of putting the Make-A-Wish kids in because were in dog fights or getting blown out.

I was told that he was no longer at practice. He was also removed from the roster.

You can’t teach 6’5

You can’t teach 6’5

Fair enough, but I think it’s fair we question his talent at the D-1 level. You can’t teach 6-5 but if a kid isn’t a D-1 level WR then you’re just running a big target who can’t get separation or catch the ball. At a certain point you’re UTEP football’s version of Matt Wilms.

Fair enough, but I think it’s fair we question his talent at the D-1 level. You can’t teach 6-5 but if a kid isn’t a D-1 level WR then you’re just running a big target who can’t get separation or catch the ball. At a certain point you’re UTEP football’s version of Matt Wilms.
That’s true and the only way to answer it is by seeing him against D1 teams. Based on offers alone, Hardison has no business being a D1 starter.

That’s true and the only way to answer it is by seeing him against D1 teams. Based on offers alone, Hardison has no business being a D1 starter.

But that’s why they have practice too. I have never seen a practice but if he’s not beating out the guys ahead of him it’s obviously going to be an issue come game day. I’m sure like the NFL there are so many hours in the week to install a game plan and you’re not going to waste time giving reps to guys who aren’t going to see the field. Maybe you work in some 2s but there’s no way you are clearing the bench in practice unless it’s probably a screw around day. “Let the backup center kick a field goal to end practice early” type of thing.

I am not Dimel’s biggest fan but I doubt he’s stashing all conference talent down the depth chart just because he’s an idiot or a dick. I genuinely think these kids offer less than the guys ahead of them and throwing them out there is futile. Our starters have a less than 50% chance to get the job done (and I’m being generous) so imagine what the odds are once we clear the depth chart.

Maybe someone else can confirm this but Walter Dawn said he's coming back and the announcer last night mentioned Dimel was excited that 'this offense will be back.'

It would be nice to confirm if all 11 decided to return. Especially Darta Lee, he started as a Freshman at Illinois and is solid Justin Garrett and Cooper would be awesome if they're back as well.

If these guys are all back, the focus would turn to the defensive losses in the secondary. If McKel Broussard is back that is huge. Not sure where he was yesterday but he can play. I was excited to see Robert Corner yesterday but he really struggled.

But that’s why they have practice too. I have never seen a practice but if he’s not beating out the guys ahead of him it’s obviously going to be an issue come game day. I’m sure like the NFL there are so many hours in the week to install a game plan and you’re not going to waste time giving reps to guys who aren’t going to see the field. Maybe you work in some 2s but there’s no way you are clearing the bench in practice unless it’s probably a screw around day. “Let the backup center kick a field goal to end practice early” type of thing.

I am not Dimel’s biggest fan but I doubt he’s stashing all conference talent down the depth chart just because he’s an idiot or a dick. I genuinely think these kids offer less than the guys ahead of them and throwing them out there is futile. Our starters have a less than 50% chance to get the job done (and I’m being generous) so imagine what the odds are once we clear the depth chart.
That's all true and WR seems to be one of our biggest strengths this season so it was going to tough to see the field during crucial stretches. In this instance I don’t believe lack of playing playing time is the reason why he opted out.

Dimel isn’t hiding all conference talent players down the depth chart cuz we don’t have none. The ones with potential to become all conference players sure do share a lot of time with unproductive players.

Using last night as a small sample I don’t know if there’s much of a difference between our starters and their backups. Give the backups more playing time and they might be a better team.

Maybe someone else can confirm this but Walter Dawn said he's coming back and the announcer last night mentioned Dimel was excited that 'this offense will be back.'

It would be nice to confirm if all 11 decided to return. Especially Darta Lee, he started as a Freshman at Illinois and is solid Justin Garrett and Cooper would be awesome if they're back as well.

If these guys are all back, the focus would turn to the defensive losses in the secondary. If McKel Broussard is back that is huge. Not sure where he was yesterday but he can play. I was excited to see Robert Corner yesterday but he really struggled.
I’ve heard Broussard and Hardison room together.

If you're not a starter you don't get real reps in practice here. It makes it hard for players to show what they have once the season gets going. There are with out a doubt players that are not playing that are better athletes than the guys playing in front of them. Now that doesn't mean they're better football players though. Only way to really know is to give them real reps in practice. Hopefully next season they'll be able to change that strategy and make practices more competitive. Constant competition is the best way to get the best out of your players. Knowing any week they could lose their spot if they don't bring it.

If you're not a starter you don't get real reps in practice here. It makes it hard for players to show what they have once the season gets going. There are with out a doubt players that are not playing that are better athletes than the guys playing in front of them. Now that doesn't mean they're better football players though. Only way to really know is to give them real reps in practice. Hopefully next season they'll be able to change that strategy and make practices more competitive. Constant competition is the best way to get the best out of your players. Knowing any week they could lose their spot if they don't bring it.

It seems like the inseason practices are just about the #1's. But Spring Ball is where you need to shine at UTEP.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
It seems like the inseason practices are just about the #1's. But Spring Ball is where you need to shine at UTEP.

Yes, but it doesn't provide the incentive for players to keep pushing to get better. Either you have the spot locked or you know there's no chance for you to take a spot. Yesterday is a perfect example. They had a red shirt Junior absolutely getting toasted out there and not once did they even think about benching him. That does not breed a competitive nature within your program.

Walter Dawn coming back??? This dude has been here 17,000 years, and still looks like a fat kid. Put some muscle on and lose the gut, and Dimel needs to use him better. H-Back?

Yes, but it doesn't provide the incentive for players to keep pushing to get better. Either you have the spot locked or you know there's no chance for you to take a spot. Yesterday is a perfect example. They had a red shirt Junior absolutely getting toasted out there and not once did they even think about benching him. That does not breed a competitive nature within your program.

I agree that Brownholtz was absolute trash yesterday and I agree 100% that he should have been yanked. I would love to hear Dimel’s reasoning for why it did not happen. Did they give Brownholtz all the reps since it was on short notice, or is the depth at QB that bad you’re he’s still better than the backups.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I agree that Brownholtz was absolute trash yesterday and I agree 100% that he should have been yanked. I would love to hear Dimel’s reasoning for why it did not happen. Did they give Brownholtz all the reps since it was on short notice, or is the depth at QB that bad you’re he’s still better than the backups.

Brownholtz was our 3rd string QB in August. Hard to go 4 deep at any position.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
We should have a one way door at this point

I agree. It’s not right you leave your teammates hanging especially when they could have been the difference between a loss and Bowl eligibility yesterday. But, is UTEP in a position to say no if they want to return? And let’s say these guys eat their balls and address their teammates would you not let them rejoin the team? On the other hand maybe you take your chances that some kids of a higher caliber don’t get the offers they expected and maybe you can scoop them up. Could go either way.

They walked out on the team. That said so did probably most of the other transfers. So would we just be trading for the same traits. Or do we go the Jr college route once again. Guess will see if Dismel can finally earn that paycheck.

Butch Jones to Arkansas St. That’s why other teams zoom past us. While we hire coaches with winless seasons others hire coaches that have made 8 of 11 bowls as a hc. I’m not sure on the salary yet but I’m willing to wager it will be equal or less than what we pay Dimel.

Butch Jones to Arkansas St. That’s why other teams zoom past us. While we hire coaches with winless seasons others hire coaches that have made 8 of 11 bowls as a hc. I’m not sure on the salary yet but I’m willing to wager it will be equal or less than what we pay Dimel.
Blake Anderson was making $825,000 at Ark St and will start out at $1,000,000 at Utah St. Dimel makes $700,000 at UTEP which is a lot considering the state of our FB program.

Blake Anderson was making $825,000 at Ark St and will start out at $1,000,000 at Utah St. Dimel makes $700,000 at UTEP which is a lot considering the state of our FB program.
I don’t think money is a much of an issue. He was making 35k at Alabama. Tennessee is still paying him 2.5 million a year to not coach them. He probably will sign for around 700-900k a year.

That’s the type of coach that I believe would take UTEP to the next level. A former successful G5 coach who moved up to the big league but now finds themselves looking to rebound. Not because they stunk up the place but because 9 wins isn’t good enough for an SEC program.

Reactions: EMA884 and Rot
What about Sumlin? Or has he been beat down and lost all of his fire? He’s out looking for a job I bet.

That might be an intriguing hire. Is it any worse than Dimel? But the question always comes down to whether or not guys want to risk it coming down to a school where success is hard to come by. That along with the lack of competitive pay has to make any quality candidate wary.

Now: I’m going to throw a name out there and before I get thrown to the wolves I want to make my case. What about Robert Rodriguez? He’s got NFL experience, and he’s currently the ASU staff learning from Herm Edwards. I know that is an EXTREMELY RISKY HIRE and I know you can draw parallels to Sean Kugler since he has no OC/DC/HC experience. But he does have a ton of experience and he helped recruit while working for Price and I think Kugler. We always say we want a younger guy who’s still up and coming, and given his career trajectory he does fit that criteria. If UTEP has nothing but Dana Dimels applying for the job would you take a shot and kick the tires to see if someone like him is interested?

I don’t think money is a much of an issue. He was making 35k at Alabama. Tennessee is still paying him 2.5 million a year to not coach them. He probably will sign for around 700-900k a year.

That’s the type of coach that I believe would take UTEP to the next level. A former successful G5 coach who moved up to the big league but now finds themselves looking to rebound. Not because they stunk up the place but because 9 wins isn’t good enough for an SEC program.
Jones may do well at Ark St since he did well at Central Michigan and then Cincinatti but he wasn't fired from Tenn for only winning 9 games. He had winning seasons at Tenn but lost more sec games than he won. His last season was a bad one and he got fired during the season after getting blown out by unranked Missouri. His team was 4-6 at the time and finished 0-8 in the sec.

Reactions: JCorona
That might be an intriguing hire. Is it any worse than Dimel? But the question always comes down to whether or not guys want to risk it coming down to a school where success is hard to come by. That along with the lack of competitive pay has to make any quality candidate wary.

Now: I’m going to throw a name out there and before I get thrown to the wolves I want to make my case. What about Robert Rodriguez? He’s got NFL experience, and he’s currently the ASU staff learning from Herm Edwards. I know that is an EXTREMELY RISKY HIRE and I know you can draw parallels to Sean Kugler since he has no OC/DC/HC experience. But he does have a ton of experience and he helped recruit while working for Price and I think Kugler. We always say we want a younger guy who’s still up and coming, and given his career trajectory he does fit that criteria. If UTEP has nothing but Dana Dimels applying for the job would you take a shot and kick the tires to see if someone like him is interested?

They alot more people apply than dana dimel. Unfortunately Jim Senter is the AD and only person on the planet who would've hired Dana Dimel.

I would love for UTEP to hire RR instead of another Dimel type. I honestly don't know if he would feel that he was ready to be the head guy or not. The best example of a position coach becoming a HC is the WR from Oregon St who is now rhe HC at SJSU and doing very well.

They alot more people apply than dana dimel. Unfortunately Jim Senter is the AD and only person on the planet who would've hired Dana Dimel.

UTEP has a proven track record of hideous hires. Can it be due to incompetence? Sure. You can probably combine it with bad ADs, horrendous candidates and bad pay.

If Senter is in charge of the next hire he probably brings in someone like David Beaty.

Yeah, that is a fact. Had some in demand upcoming assistants, too. Senter said Dimel had the "best presentation" than all the rest of the interviewee's. Not my words, his words I remember from his lips to my car speakers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT