ADVERTISEMENT

More UTEP Football Drama

Which year will have more wins?

Votes: 8 47.1%

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
ouch....... I'm guessing these are the guys on the bus ride back from houston.

There were 10 players that were told to ride back to El Paso with a player that was know to have tested (PCR) positive. None of those 10 thank goodness has since tested positive. Coach is really going to regret letting Rice dictate policy for his team I think. C-USA should not have allowed one team to make their own rules. If Rice didn't want to play under the same rules as everyone else, they should have been told to sit the season out.

If true, I don’t blame them. Have you ever rode a bus from Houston to El Paso?

Wow, didn't even think about that.

When youre 20 years old and the entire team flies home and youre on a bus, its hard on the ego. Then you find out you weren't even sick on top of that.

Reactions: minermx07
UNT game moved to Friday and to Denton. No FBS home opponents this season.

I hope this game is played without fans. We are already giving up home field they shouldn't get the advantage of crowd noise

That should be a stipulation. This would make it back to back games in Denton. I can guarantee UNT won’t play the next two games at our house.

Reactions: picks up
ouch....... I'm guessing these are the guys on the bus ride back from houston.

Can you blame UTEP for doing that? If they tested “positive” you can’t fly them back either. Plus you can’t just put them in a hotel for 2 weeks in Houston. It was a shitty situation but I certainly wouldn’t blame UTEP for what happened.

Agreed. Jeezuz Kryst...you had to take a bus back from H Town. Because you showed positive on the antigen test. There are obviously other issues if they are leaving “because of that”, which I’m not even sure that’s the reason. But if it is...

Reactions: Lil_Train
Agreed. Jeezuz Kryst...you had to take a bus back from H Town. Because you showed positive on the antigen test. There are obviously other issues if they are leaving “because of that”, which I’m not even sure that’s the reason. But if it is...

There were some people on that bus that did not test positive with any of the test. Those individuals were on the bus because of contact tracing. If I've never tested positive and am being made to ride on a bus with an individual that is a confirmed positive, I would be very upset. Add to that, the team medical staff is fully aware that the antigen testing is not as accurate as the PCR test that was administered the day before. Don't know if I would quit the team over that, but there would be some serious discussions with people in a position of power.

Reactions: Dmanminer
It’s a bad situation for all involved but I can understand that they had to err on the side of caution. Worst case scenario they all fly back and they have a full blown outbreak on the team. I certainly feel for the players having to endure a long bus ride because of some messed up testing but you can just as easily blame Rice and their medical staff for this fiasco. Obviously this is all speculation and we don’t know for sure. They could be leaving for reasons completely unknown to us.

Reactions: Taco1977
There were some people on that bus that did not test positive with any of the test. Those individuals were on the bus because of contact tracing. If I've never tested positive and am being made to ride on a bus with an individual that is a confirmed positive, I would be very upset. Add to that, the team medical staff is fully aware that the antigen testing is not as accurate as the PCR test that was administered the day before. Don't know if I would quit the team over that, but there would be some serious discussions with people in a position of power.

You seem to be in the know so I won’t argue any of what you said but I thought all 10 of the kids riding the bus were those who tested positive on the antigen test. That’s what it was made to sound like originally. Whether that test is as accurate or not, a positive test has to be taken for what it is. Many kids quit or transfer for lesser reasons. It is what it is. Thanks for clarifying, though.

You seem to be in the know so I won’t argue any of what you said but I thought all 10 of the kids riding the bus were those who tested positive on the antigen test. That’s what it was made to sound like originally. Whether that test is as accurate or not, a positive test has to be taken for what it is. Thanks for clarifying, though.

That is definitely what keeps being said. I've been told by a couple of people that that is not the truth though. There were at least four players on that bus ride who had never tested positive on any of the PCR tests or antigen test that we're administered that weekend or since. It was definitely handled poorly to say the least.

That is definitely what keeps being said. I've been told by a couple of people that that is not the truth though. There were at least four players on that bus ride who had never tested positive on any of the PCR tests or antigen test that we're administered that weekend or since. It was definitely handled poorly to say the least.

Hate to say it, but that isn’t surprising at all...unfortunately. At times we seem like a 3rd rate organization.

Hate to say it, but that isn’t surprising at all...unfortunately. At times we seem like a 3rd rate organization.

I don't know what the right steps would have been to take. The best I could think of, would have been to have two vehicles transporting the players. One for the people who had some sort of a positive test, and the other for the people who had no positive test but were being flagged for contact tracing. Unfortunately, and times like this, there doesn't ever seem to be a right answer.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I don't know what the right steps would have been to take. The best I could think of, would have been to have two vehicles transporting the players. One for the people who had some sort of a positive test, and the other for the people who had no positive test but were being flagged for contact tracing. Unfortunately, and times like this, there doesn't ever seem to be a right answer.

I wonder if The Miners had a contingency plan in place for a situation like this, especially if Rice demanded these tests prior to the game which was not the norm.

Did it really look like any of these guys could cover your grandmother? Where are they going to transfer to? Hardin Simmons? Once they see the film on these guys, the only defense that they can play for is the Dallas Cowboys.

Now wanting out of UTEP, that I can understand because playing 3 to 4 games the whole season because UTEP has no contingency plans, and is just 3rd rate in what they do, then this I can understand

Every player could have opted out. They knew this season would be different. UTEP cannot afford to charter multiple flights to get these young men back.

Now there is a mass exodus from butthurt players cause they had to ride bus.

Fact is, the entire Division 1 athlete base is eligible to return next season and there is wave of Division 1 athletes coming from the HS and JUCO level looking for opportunities. This is a horrible time to transfer. Few teams will need players and there is a ton of inventory.

Would the airline, even though the flight is chartered allow individuals who “tested” positive to board? I would imagine they could refuse to allow them to board seeing as though they could pose a potential risk to the crew. They’re charging individuals with Wreckless Endangerment for boarding a plane with COVID so maybe UTEP was right for erring on the side of caution.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...covid-arrested-after-boarding-flight-n1249753

NTU better be on our home schedule next year as well as LTU and UTSA. If the CUSA can't make this right when we made every effort to fulfill our commitments and paid a heavy price then we need a new conference.
We need a new conference anyway. Problem is no other conference needs UTEP at the moment.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I doubt that will happen but there is always a lot of complaining about trips to UTEP being so long as if El Paso is located on the far side of the moon. If UTEP were a perennial contender in fb and mbb those complaints would go away.

But if cusa did cut UTEP free, where would UTEP go for all non fb sports? The WAC would be available but what else? And fb would have to be indy like that school up the road I suppose. That all sounds similar to a recent poster that is no longer on this board.

I doubt that will happen but there is always a lot of complaining about trips to UTEP being so long as if El Paso is located on the far side of the moon. If UTEP were a perennial contender in fb and mbb those complaints would go away.

But if cusa did cut UTEP free, where would UTEP go for all non fb sports? The WAC would be available but what else? And fb would have to be indy like that school up the road I suppose. That all sounds similar to a recent poster that is no longer on this board.

We're not going to get kicked out of CUSA.

Did it really look like any of these guys could cover your grandmother? Where are they going to transfer to? Hardin Simmons? Once they see the film on these guys, the only defense that they can play for is the Dallas Cowboys.

Now wanting out of UTEP, that I can understand because playing 3 to 4 games the whole season because UTEP has no contingency plans, and is just 3rd rate in what they do, then this I can understand

Inyang and Lowe are big losses. No way to sugarcoat it. Both will end up at fbs schools.

Reactions: kickballpro
Bad time to look to transfer so much instability. I think most programs are looking just to hang on, not looking to reload bring in players etc. Plus most have made recruiting commitments and with the extra eligibility going to carry more than full rosters. I think these guys are going to have limited options. I also think this is heat of the moment kind of decision and there may be some reconciliation to be made after the season is over.

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT