ADVERTISEMENT

My issue with Floyd, but still hoping it gets better

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
As has been already documented many feel Floyd is severely underachieving here so far. Yes there are reasons, but he his head coach and recruiter and has to take responsibility. Yes if Lee moore and Vince Hunter stayed, and Winn didn't leave, last year is probably a top 25 team, but that's not what happened. Floyd promised Utep would be back on the map, but now we aren't even an after thought and we are barely one of the top teams in a pitiful league. I want top 25, Ncaa, Sweet 16 etc.. And it may yet come, but some changes need to be made in Floyd's recruiting and I think this year's class proves he has realized that. To build what Wichita St has and other mid major powers, Floyd must recruit at least 1 or 2 top JC players and 2 and 3 star high school kids that will stay and are teachable and stay away from the 4 and 5 star recruits that either will never make it to campus, have baggage or will leave early. Also transfers like Artis will once in awhile become necessary. Point being is next year may be an NIT type year unless we get lucky n win tourney and it may be 2 or 3 years to get to Ncaa and stay consistent and I know we are already fed up and want Ncaa now, but I think Floyd is just realizing what Utep is and is changing his recruiting mentality to adjust. So it make 10 years to reach ncaa, but if he does it right we may have 10 years straight of Ncaa after that. Not what we wanna hear, but this is how I see it. I'd love an Ncaa next year and it's possible, but my early money is on NIT and hopefully a nice run to build for the following year like S. Carolina did this year.

So you're saying that in 12 years UTEP might accomplish something only 10 blue blood programs have ever achieved in the entire history of the NCAA tournament. Ten consecutive NCAA appearances is no easy feat. That's very impressive if UTEP were to do that. Not likely at all. Not in today's one bid conference where the P5's have every advantage at their disposal.

Father Time will catch up to Floyd before he even strings together three consecutive NCAA appearances. I would be happy if next year we made the NIT and won one game. Let's start with baby steps then we can dream together about making history.

Am I the only one that thinks we will have more than one cusa team in the dance next year?

Well being snarky or not.... look at the picture

Mid tenn looks good again
Western Kentucky is bringing in a top 15 class
Utep I think will be much improved

And that's not mentioning la tech , Uab or old dominion

And it's ok to be snarky once in awhile is good for the environment

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
It's not just Cusa The Committee is giving no love to mid major for at large bids. Look I'm not happy with Floyd thus far, but it seems like he came in with the wrong approach. I'm saying I'd love for that to happen to have 10 straight years not that it will. I'm saying if we gotta wait 10 years then he better make it consistent.

That's why I have said for a long time the tournament needs to be 96....

It would force more mid major teams in

Oh, these baby boomers just leave a damn indelible mark where ever they go, don't they? #MAGA or #MUGA (Make America Great Again 2016 or Make UTEP Great Again 2010)

6p1rQWS.gif

pg2_a_floyd_576.jpg

Ha. Youre fooling yourself if you think the Ncaa committee will actually let more mid-majors in if the field expanded. Get ready for more 14-16 amd 15-15 teams from power conferences...

Well being snarky or not.... look at the picture

Mid tenn looks good again
Western Kentucky is bringing in a top 15 class
Utep I think will be much improved

And that's not mentioning la tech , Uab or old dominion

And it's ok to be snarky once in awhile is good for the environment

Haha. I've made my fair share of snarky comments on this board. I'm trying to be a better 'forum' person. ;)

Trying is the operative word.

Ha. Youre fooling yourself if you think the Ncaa committee will actually let more mid-majors in if the field expanded. Get ready for more 14-16 amd 15-15 teams from power conferences...

I have to agree with you. Made a similar comment not too far back.

There are 66 P5 teams. 76 when the Big East is included. 32 conferences/auto qualifiers. 96 (slots) - 32 (auto qualifiers) = 64 (openings). Rest assured those openings will go to sub par P5 teams whose RPI is 100 or better just because of the schedule they play day in and day out...whether they win or not. Everything is tilted in favor of the P5 and so the "rich are getting richer while poor are getting poorer".

Such is the life of a modern day mid major. Sigh...

C-USA will never be a multibid conference. Last year c-usa was ranked 3 spots behind the WAC in rpi.

The thing we all forget about basketball, is how much UTEP spends on hoops. We spend $3,500,000 on hoops. That puts us in the top 25% of the 347 d1 hoops schools in spending. We spend far and away more than any other school in c-usa. Floyd has been given more resources than any of his predecessors. He plays in a weaker conference than all his predecessors. C-USA ranks in the bottom third of conferences in rpi. That makes it a low major conference. Given the money UTEP pours into mens hoops and the weakness of cusa. There can only be one way to sum up the Floyd administration, its been an abject and utter failure. There is no excuse for no NCAA tournaments in seven years. Theres always a perception that we are a poor school. Thats just not the case we are the richest school in cusa and Floyd still cant win.

When the tourney went from 48 to 64 it was to help mid majors. And it did for a while but the mid majors at-large was eventually nudged out. The the expansion from 64 to 68 would help out the mid majors and it did the first year until they were nudged out once more. A 96 team field will only help the mid major will be a temporary boost for the mid majors. And then you will want 128.

96 would be the highest i go.... any more than that and it becomes college football..... I think 96 would help mid majors because I think a lot of people would feel pressure for letting teams in with losing records.... I am not saying they would put a bunch of mid majors but I think you could get about 7-8 more in the dance to me would be a big deal....

Nobody in the Selection Committee would feel pressure for letting P5 schools with losing records in the Tournament. They will just say they would have won 30 games if they played in a conference like CUSA. If you give them an opportunity to add more P5 schools in the Tourney, they are going to take full advantage of it.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
So would the top 16 seeds get a by in the "play in" round of 96? I guess that would be the only way it works. I'm not sure I like it, but it would definitely give more opportunity to the better mid-major teams in the top 100 RPI (or whatever ranking system the NCAA will use). UTEP should always be in the top 100. Vegas would love it!

What do you all think?? i really dislike the autobid for a conference tournament champ.... I would rather have that go to the regular season champ... do you all agree?? To me it doesn't make any sense to win a league title and then have one bad game and not make the NCAA tournament because a lower team got hot!

Reactions: mikesarabia
What do you all think?? i really dislike the autobid for a conference tournament champ.... I would rather have that go to the regular season champ... do you all agree?? To me it doesn't make any sense to win a league title and then have one bad game and not make the NCAA tournament because a lower team got hot!
What about situations like 2014 where four teams won the CUSA regular season title? The NCAA isn't going to accept all four. An elaborate complicated tie breaker procedure was used to determine the seeds.

Let's keep it simple and say only two teams finished as the regular season champions. As an example we will say UTEP and WKU are co champions. Usually we don't play home and away with them. It's their turn to visit El Paso and they lose on the road on a last second shot. How fair would it be for them to lose the head to head tie breaker and miss out on the NCAA tournament? What if it was UTEP losing a head to head tie breaker on the road?

There is no perfect way to make everyone happy. I would like to see something like the RPI or Ken Pom ratings determine bids. If you're in the top 40 of the ratings you are guaranteed a bid.

It sure adds excitement to the conference tourneys the way it is now.

Nobody in the Selection Committee would feel pressure for letting P5 schools with losing records in the Tournament. They will just say they would have won 30 games if they played in a conference like CUSA. If you give them an opportunity to add more P5 schools in the Tourney, they are going to take full advantage of it.

It is cynical, I know - but I believe this. Which is why I no longer care for college BB.

lieb

Reactions: e-rick and EPTUTEP
What about situations like 2014 where four teams won the CUSA regular season title? The NCAA isn't going to accept all four. An elaborate complicated tie breaker procedure was used to determine the seeds.

Let's keep it simple and say only two teams finished as the regular season champions. As an example we will say UTEP and WKU are co champions. Usually we don't play home and away with them. It's their turn to visit El Paso and they lose on the road on a last second shot. How fair would it be for them to lose the head to head tie breaker and miss out on the NCAA tournament? What if it was UTEP losing a head to head tie breaker on the road?

There is no perfect way to make everyone happy. I would like to see something like the RPI or Ken Pom ratings determine bids. If you're in the top 40 of the ratings you are guaranteed a bid.

To me I think it's simple if there is a tie you look at head to head

If there is more than a 2 way tie or the teams didn't play go with rpi......

If they lost on the road on a last second shot they have 2 months to recover from that... if they ended up losing on a last second shot but had 3 losses I mean they should have taken care of business with those losses.... not having the regular season champion automatically go really makes the regular season sort of pointless.... just about seeding for the conference tourney.... I mean take mid tenn this year...what if the other team had gotten hot from 3 or range and they lost the first round of the tourney.... they would have finished what 15-1 and not been invited to the NCAA tourney ?? That's nuts

You should be judged on what you do over 2 months not 4 days

It does make the conference tournament exciting but they could use the tournament as an rpi builder

Letting all 347 teams into the tournament would be easy and exciting to do. Haskins always advocated allowing all teams to compete in the NCAA tournament. Simply rank all teams from 1 to 347 based on record, rpi or whatever. Give the top however many teams a first round bye then whittle it down to 64 for instance. Using the current number of 347 teams:

Round 1 (held in mid-December) - Lowest Ranked 182 teams - Winners Advance to Round 2
Round 2 (held in mid-January) - Remaining 256 teams play in reverse rank order (1 plays 256) - Winners advance to Round 3
Round 3 (held in mid-February) - Remaining 128 teams play in reverse rank order - Winners advance to March Madness

There would be tons of money generated by TV revenue. There would always be a Cinderella or 4 that would make things interesting. Some of the big boys would get snake bit early and we would finally find out which conferences were really stronger than others. Conference mates would be routing each other on and so forth.

It won't happen because the big boys would be afraid to go that route and people don't like change but I guarantee it would generate a ton of excitement. Much more so than conference tournaments with 450 people in the stands.

Reactions: develman
Why are you all concerned with the NCAA tournament format? UTEP is never going to make it under this current administration. Floyd and Stull are two of the biggest losers in college athletics.

Why are you all concerned with the NCAA tournament format? UTEP is never going to make it under this current administration. Floyd and Stull are two of the biggest losers in college athletics.

But Floyd has a great resume, and fell from the Haskins tree!

Reactions: ProjectO
Not likely at all. Not in today's one bid conference where the P5's have every advantage at their disposal.

Father Time will catch up to Floyd before he even strings together three consecutive NCAA appearances. I would be happy if next year we made the NIT and won one game. Let's start with baby steps then we can dream together about making history.

Exactly as the P5 wanted it. Big squeezing out small unless small rocks the apple cart (so to speak).

Totally with you on time with regard to Floyd, and I'm 100% on the winning one NIT game (much less a series). However, after seven years on the job, he's well past baby steps. If you think about it, a baby learns to walk faster than that. lol.

Now I would yawn too. Both are accomplished men with great athletic and administrative accomplishments.

But the hard core local supporters need to swallow the bitter pill that expectations are low for UTEP basketball at this point in history of UTEP basketball.

If UTEP can get to the top 4 for the conference tourney again next year without the early season meltdowns or losses to a Norfolk State and a NAU caliber type team sandwiched in between, that would be great. UTEP does not have the cavalry to be a 21+ type team IMO, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Trust me, the fans are going to miss D.A.. The dude was an unbelievable floor general. Omega is a gifted athletic player, I just don't thing he can lead like a D.A.. Wilms will finally have that year we all have been waiting for, but he can't do it all.

There's been a shift in college basketball. All the schols with pedigree are in 10 conferences.

The seven power conferences
ACC
Big East
Big10
Big12
SEC
Pac 12
AAC

Then you have three other conferences capable of multi bids
The A10
The WCC, They are very close to becoming a power conference. GCU is the next Gonzaga. They are going to be a perennial top 25 team. The WCC made a religous exemption for BYU. They should do the same for GCU.
The MWC, The MWC, is down but not out. There is too much money tradition and pedigree for the MWC to be down long. SDSU is a west coast power. SDSU has been the biggest show in san siego for the last decade. UNLV and UNM will be back.

Theres your problem. Theres been a natural seperation over the last 10 years of the schools with and pedigree and everyone else. Those 10 conferences are the power conferences where the multibids will come from. The other 23 conferences are relegated to one bid leagues.

There is no appetite for an expanded tournament. Most of America pays attention to college basketball for three weeks in march and the first weekend of April. If money could be made off an expanded tournament it would have been expanded yesterday. There is a bigger gap between the haves and have nots in basketball then there is in football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT