ADVERTISEMENT

Never liked the Dimel hire...

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
but I guess it's not fair to start piling on him after his first game, given the hand he was dealt. I sure hope we can at least give NMSU a good game, show some signs of improvement by then. I don't think I'm as inclined to show patience with this hire.

So, what’s your time frame? 2 years?
My other team, Northwestern, holds the record for longest losing streak at 34 games. It would be terribly shameful if the record changed hands from one of my teams to the other. I used to think that record would stand forever, but now I'm starting to believe that it will fall. And that's terrible.

If UTEP doesn't win a game this season (and NMSU might be the last chance, and it's not a very good chance), I would fire him at the end of this season.

But I'd love to be wrong and see some real improvement as the season progresses. Maybe I'll be surprised and we'll even win a couple of games!

If I were AD my bar to keep him for another year is one win and a top 110 recruiting class. If he can't do that, he'll never get us to a winning season.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
If UTEP doesn't win a game this season (and NMSU might be the last chance, and it's not a very good chance), I would fire him at the end of this season.
Well, that’s a good way to have a program be rebuilt. Let’s just give every head coach 1 year to turn this around. That’ll sell this as a steady job. We’re not like Chelsea, who can afford to fire a coach after a year or two (money wise or recruiting wise)

Well, that’s a good way to have a program be rebuilt. Let’s just give every head coach 1 year to turn this around. That’ll sell this as a steady job. We’re not like Chelsea, who can afford to fire a coach after a year or two (money wise or recruiting wise)

If Dimel goes winless this year. He will become the only coach in history to go winless at two different schools. I dont know how you overcome that in recruiting, I dont think its possible. Not to mention the onslaught of bad press, I don't how you would raise money.

If Dimel goes winless this year. He will become the only coach in history to go winless at two different schools. I dont know how you overcome that in recruiting, I dont think its possible. Not to mention the onslaught of bad press, I don't how you would raise money.
You’re worried about how this looks to recruits. We’ve been last in recruiting for a decade. We are currently the worst program in college football. This is not a quick fix. We gave Floyd plenty of time after taking over a team that had been to the post season 8 of the previous 9 seasons. No way we entertain the thought of getting rid of Dimel after 1 game.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Y’all can take Jose back, this United season is adding to the suck that’ll be this fall/year.

My other team, Northwestern, holds the record for longest losing streak at 34 games. It would be terribly shameful if the record changed hands from one of my teams to the other. I used to think that record would stand forever, but now I'm starting to believe that it will fall. And that's terrible.

But I'd love to be wrong and see some real improvement as the season progresses. Maybe I'll be surprised and we'll even win a couple of games!

You all are ridiculous . Fire dimel after one season with players that really aren't his ? Flat out stupid

I specifically said if he can't win all year and if he has a another low recruiting class. If he can get a good recruiting class here next year (by UTEP standards) then he should be given another year.

In his first interview after being hired, Dimel told Kaplowitz that a turnaround here could take up to 4 years. I don't think it should be that long in C-USA, but give the guy a chance. A lot of people are generalizing and overreacting based on previous experience and the history of the miners. Keep in mind that we had the worst team in football last year and ZERO recruits. Now that Dimel has seen his guys play against another team, all I'm expecting from him now is improvement, progression and better recruiting. Obviously a win or two won't hurt.

In his first interview after being hired, Dimel told Kaplowitz that a turnaround here could take up to 4 years. I don't think it should be that long in C-USA, but give the guy a chance. A lot of people are generalizing and overreacting based on previous experience and the history of the miners. Keep in mind that we had the worst team in football last year and ZERO recruits. Now that Dimel has seen his guys play against another team, all I'm expecting from him now is improvement, progression and better recruiting. Obviously a win or two won't hurt.

I agree. We gotta give the guy time. While I admit that I was not on board with the hire, it is what it is, and Dimel is our HC for the time being. As much as that azz pounding we took at the hands of an FCS team hurt, it is wayyyyyy too early to talk about getting rid of the guy. As axingfools said, Dimel said it wouldn’t be a quick turnaround and that it would take a few years. He was hired with this in mind. This season has to be looked at as his baseline. If year two isn’t significantly better, then the case for firing him will be more realistic. Otherwise it’s nothing more than a knee jerk reaction.

Look at our talent and hope we win a game over the next 2 years. Folks we are terrible. We have the worst talent in D1 football. He will need his contract to even begin to fix this mess. Saban couldn't have won with this talent.

Reactions: Lil_Train
You all are ridiculous . Fire dimel after one season with players that really aren't his ? Flat out stupid
UTEP meets their "doppelganger" ("an apparition or double of a living person") this weekend. Coach Sanchez at best has had the Rebels tied for 3rd in the MW, run the same offense as UTEP and have struggles to put a winning program together (but not as bad as UTEP).

UTEP meets their "doppelganger" ("an apparition or double of a living person") this weekend. Coach Sanchez at best has had the Rebels tied for 3rd in the MW, run the same offense as UTEP and have struggles to put a winning program together (but not as bad as UTEP).

UNLV is one of the few programs we're historically better than.

UNLV's coach has improved his team each of the 3 years so far and pre-season experts believe they will make a bowl game in this, his 4th season. In 2015 he inherited a 2-11 team and and won 3. In 2016 they won 4, 2017 they won 5. They lost last week at ranked USC and played well in that loss.

If UTEP actually shows some solid improvement this week I will be impressed. Hoping for the best but not expecting too much.

I definitely think there was improvement on the offense against UNLV, so that's something. If we continue to see improvement then maybe we'll manage to win a game or two.

The defense remains pretty terrible...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT