ADVERTISEMENT

New MWC Possibility:

Would this be better for UTEP?

• Yes

Votes: 30 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
It annoys me to no end to see UTSA get mentioned.......other than a couple winning seasons in FB, their attractiveness is based on them being in San Antonio. No on campus stadium, my old high school has a better BBall gym than them, etc.

Yeah, I'm being a hater, but f*** those guys.
I think the PAC-8 or whatever they will be called want a presence in Texas. What other Texas school would make sense for them to add to the conference? We all want UTEP to be the Texas school but lack of success in fb and bb is concerning. I don't think they want to add a doormat team. Other sports used to be important for the PAC-12 such as baseball, gymnastics, swimming..

Wonder if this means the AAC teams are not interested?

It’s more expensive to raid the MW. UNLV is obvious. The AAC teams appear unwilling to jump ship without knowing the media rights deal.

The NCAA does not want more FCS teams to move up. They feel like it’s bloated and unbalanced now.

I see this as bad news for UTEP to the MW. Air Force is in negotiations with AAC. You can bet that the few schools left in the MW are trying to leave today! The MW could be dead soon.

It’s more expensive to raid the MW. UNLV is obvious. The AAC teams appear unwilling to jump ship without knowing the media rights deal.

The NCAA does not want more FCS teams to move up. They feel like it’s bloated and unbalanced now.

I see this as bad news for UTEP to the MW. Air Force is in negotiations with AAC. You can bet that the few schools left in the MW are trying to leave today! The MW could be dead soon.
UTEP and NMSU can build the Mountain West then. Just add the Montana and Dakota schools.

I don’t know, hard to say. I think he’s just reporting those are the “backups” or teams 9-10 or 11-12.

Let’s say, the Pac 12 does take them both and AFA leaves to the AAC. That leaves 5 of them and again, those teams need to be a conference for a few years to collect the exit fees.

Theoretically, a school like UNM could join the AAC, but they would be losing out on that P12 money, paying an exit fee to the MWC, and then joining an AAC without Memphis, Tulane, possibly UTSA, and USF. Is it worth it at that point?

The remaining schools kinda have to invite UTEP, NMSU, and whoever else is willing to join at the point.

At worst, UTEP is still in CUSA with MWC leftovers or CUSA remains untouched and nothing changes. There’s really no scenario where UTEP ends up worse off.

I don’t know, hard to say. I think he’s just reporting those are the “backups” or teams 9-10 or 11-12.

Let’s say, the Pac 12 does take them both and AFA leaves to the AAC. That leaves 5 of them and again, those teams need to be a conference for a few years to collect the exit fees.

Theoretically, a school like UNM could join the AAC, but they would be losing out on that P12 money, paying an exit fee to the MWC, and then joining an AAC without Memphis, Tulane, possibly UTSA, and USF. Is it worth it at that point?

The remaining schools kinda have to invite UTEP, NMSU, and whoever else is willing to join at the point.

At worst, UTEP is still in CUSA with MWC leftovers or CUSA remains untouched and nothing changes. There’s really no scenario where UTEP ends up worse off.

Seems like in this scenario the best for all would be for CUSA to absorb the remaining MWC schools and return to West and East divisions.

Either UNM has THAT much pull to keep NMSU and us out the MW, or the MW doesn’t care for either of us

If the MW doesn’t care for UTEP, we should stop begging to be in their conference like a stage 5 clinger. Forget “historic rivalries”.

Last edited:
Either UNM has THAT much pull to keep NMSU and us out the MW, or the MW doesn’t care for either of us

If the MW doesn’t care for UTEP, we should stop begging to be in their conference like a stage 5 clinger. Forget “historic rivalries”.

Utep is talking to the PAC 12 before considering MWC. Doesn’t mean we get in either, but Utep is at least exploring options.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
What did he say?
Hate when he does that…idk. I know that his show is on the Apple Podcasts and there’s an AI transcript. Maybe it’s somewhere in there

From SportsTalk with Steve Kaplowitz: SportsTalk Thursday, September 26: Live from Speaking Rock

This material may be protected by copyright.

Reactions: JCorona
He didn’t say anything that sounded like he had any knowledge. I caught the last caller and Steve and Adrian basically said that he doesn’t expect UTEP to show its hand, they do not want to seem disloyal to CUSA, and if anything is happening it’s going to be kept quiet and close to the vest.

Really a nothing burger

He didn’t say anything that sounded like he had any knowledge. I caught the last caller and Steve and Adrian basically said that he doesn’t expect UTEP to show its hand, they do not want to seem disloyal to CUSA, and if anything is happening it’s going to be kept quiet and close to the vest.

Really a nothing burger
They also mentioned they didn't think UTEP received any money as a result of the previous defections from CUSA. Fwiw.

I don't think they really elaborated on why, just that they had not heard of any such payout. I believe it was supposed to be around $5M, so that is a pretty substantial amount if UTEP never got it.
I wonder if it went to the former FCS schools to help with their transition. Even so, UTEP should've fought harder for their share. Would be nice to meet a follow up from them.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Because it's El Paso isn't that enough of an explanation?
That’s unfortunately not a legal reason to withhold those funds lol I don’t believe that’s the case. All 5 schools who remained will get an equal sum if it’s nut still help up in litigation. Some of ya’ll Miner fans really believe non sense lol

This might be one of the worst takes of the year.

It's hilarious that it's deleted. Wonder if the administration saw the tweet before he deleted it. I tweeted back at him that the administration is happy with mediocrity. UTEP coaches don't want tougher competitions because they can continue being mediocre at UTEP and the administration is okay with it. Look at both dimel and Golding getting raises an extensions for mediocre years.

Last edited:
It's hilarious that it's deleted. Wonder if the administration saw the tweet before he deleted it. I tweeted back at him that the administration is happy with mediocrity. UTEP coaches don't want tougher competitions because they can continue being mediocre at UTEP and the administration is okay with it. Look at both dimel and Golding getting raises an extensions for mediocre years.
Zero accountability, from our college administration anll the way to our City Leaders. That’s why we’re a joke to the rest of the county.

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT