ADVERTISEMENT

New MWC Possibility:

Would this be better for UTEP?

• Yes

Votes: 36 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
With this now I think N. Illinois for Football and St. Mary’s for Basketball is at least a decent possibility. That would be a decent little basketball and football conference. Now only of Utep could step it up and fine competitive!
I’d be surprised if NIU came alone and I haven’t seen anyone mention St Mary’s is interested in leaving the WCC. I think it would be great if the MWC reached out to them though. Do they want to dominate the WCC now or is the league now a lot weaker because Gonzaga is leaving?

Reactions: nattybry
I don’t blame the MWC. They need to invite the strongest football only teams they can secure to compensate for inviting our football team.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
They are located to far away from the footprint. They need to move their Campus to the West.
And we already added one school that lowered our brand value…no offense to you all.

Hey. Ancient history. You’re in now and one of us. My point is you should also be concerned about adding garbage.

And we already added one school that lowered our brand value…no offense to you all.

Hey. Ancient history. You’re in now and one of us. My point is you should also be concerned about adding garbage.
All time bowl appearances:
Toledo - 21
NIU - 15 including an Orange Bowl BCS game
UNLV - 5

Even UTEP has 6 appearances since 2000!

Garbage indeed.

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
Oh? Lay it out for me then.

Teams with 5 bowl games in their history, shouldn’t be calling Toledo and NIU garbage.
It would take too long to explain why the changes in the landscape are happening and how none of that matters. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the model. Check out the Dunning-Kruger effect

It would take too long to explain why the changes in the landscape are happening and how none of that matters. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the model. Check out the Dunning-Kruger effect
I see. Why would the MWC want those teams then? They probably got input from their tv partners and their representatives for those negotiations right? Gloria didn’t pull these names out of thin air.

With Hawaii in the conference it’s the same shit. Just about same distance from Hawaii to Las Vegas than Las Vegas to Toledo.
Yup. Once you get on a plane, it is the same shit pretty much. Football only isn’t a big deal, for all sports it is a big deal.

It’s how does the conference maintain its revenue stream from media rights when our largest brands were just replaced with schools that won’t command the same attention? Adding UTEP and Hawaii for all their other subsidized sports doesn’t make espn and fox and cbs go “hey, I’d say that contract is worth the same -or-more - as when Boise State etc were in”

So why expand with more schools even less valuable with worse markets, smaller alumni base, crap towns, etc? You guys will be splitting it with those you deem unworthy, I promise.

None of it matters with the Rudy Project…..so maybe it’s time to just think small and regional….NIU and Toledo with even less money from the fallout in this stage would be stupid travel partners starting with the fact that their recruitment won’t exist and they will draw zero fan interest. West is Best

Pointing to a crappy school’s bowl victories in irrelevant past years from a system that doesn’t exist now should allow UNLV to flex its national title banner and demand entry into the B1G. That’s just absolutely stupid logic.

It’s how does the conference maintain its revenue stream from media rights when our largest brands were just replaced with schools that won’t command the same attention? Adding UTEP and Hawaii for all their other subsidized sports doesn’t make espn and fox and cbs go “hey, I’d say that contract is worth the same -or-more - as when Boise State etc were in”

So why expand with more schools even less valuable with worse markets, smaller alumni base, crap towns, etc? You guys will be splitting it with those you deem unworthy, I promise.

None of it matters with the Rudy Project…..so maybe it’s time to just think small and regional….NIU and Toledo with even less money from the fallout in this stage would be stupid travel partners starting with the fact that their recruitment won’t exist and they will draw zero fan interest. West is Best

Pointing to a crappy school’s bowl victories in irrelevant past years from a system that doesn’t exist now should allow UNLV to flex its national title banner and demand entry into the B1G. That’s just absolutely stupid logic.
So who should the MWC add them? I don't think we have a lot of choices at this point?

Reactions: KaneFan29

Dang all over the place here.

To your point, “
hey, I’d say that contract is worth the same -or-more - as when Boise State etc were in”

So why expand with more schools even less valuable with worse markets, smaller alumni base, crap towns, etc? You guys will be splitting it with those you deem unworthy, I promise.”

There is no Boise level team for the MWC to replace them with, so you have to “lower your standards” to replace them. That’s how realignment works. The Big 12 replaced Oklahoma and Texas with UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, and BYU.

The AAC replaced those 3 with CUSA schools, CUSA replaced with them independents and FCS.

Ultimately Endeavor (and possible media partners) is in the MWC's (Gloria's) ear over all of this. I think the MWC should add SHSU and/or TSU to get into the central time zone and expand further into Texas. But NIU and Toledo are better brands and are bigger "markets" overall. Huntsville and Stephenville are within range to Houston and DFW, respectively. If the MWC is exploring with NIU and Toledo, it's because it'll help expand the value of the new media contract. Do whatever it takes to make as much $$$ as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT