ADVERTISEMENT

New Ticket Sales/Marketing Resource Partnership

Investing all the time and money into a university and never make at least 60k a year. I straight up know cleaning ladies who speak very little English, probably didn’t graduate high school making 60-100k a year. They charge $120 a house and clean 2-3 a day, 12-18 a week. Do the math.

Are they working under the table or for a company?

Really strange because the median salary of a maid and housekeeper is $23,770.

https://money.usnews.com/careers/be...sekeepers made a,paid 25 percent made $20,340.

Investing all the time and money into a university and never make at least 60k a year. I straight up know cleaning ladies who speak very little English, probably didn’t graduate high school making 60-100k a year. They charge $120 a house and clean 2-3 a day, 12-18 a week. Do the math.

Where did you come up with 60k?

Are you telling me a teacher who teaches for 40 years and makes $35-40k a year is a disappointment?

No kidding. Maybe if you have no deductions and your employer offers great health insurance. Without great benefits, 35K is rough.

It depends where you live. I make around that in El Paso and I live well. Obviously if I lived in Manhattan I would be in the poor house.

Are you a college graduate? What do you do for work? How much do you make?
I’m a dropout. I’ve been working as a local commercial driver. Specifically in the construction sector. I'm a roll off driver. Right now I'm making about 42k base and another 20-30k in overtime. I used to work 55-70 hours a week. It has slowed down to around 45-55 hours with COVID.

In El Paso I owned a small pool and lawn business. I wouldn’t work for less than $30 an hour. I still do that in Austin here and there on weekends for extra cash but I haven’t taken the leap of faith to quit my job and go full time on the business again. It’s a bit scary now that I’m divorced.

Where did you come up with 60k?

Are you telling me a teacher who teaches for 40 years and makes $35-40k a year is a disappointment?
If an idiot like me can easily make over 60k then so should college graduates.

She’s not but the system is. It’s a scam.

I’m a dropout. I’ve been working as a local commercial driver. Specifically in the construction sector. I'm a roll off driver. Right now I'm making about 42k base and another 20-30k in overtime. I used to work 55-70 hours a week. It has slowed down to around 45-55 hours with COVID.

In El Paso I owned a small pool and lawn business. I wouldn’t work for less than $30 an hour. I still do that in Austin here and there on weekends for extra cash but I haven’t taken the leap of faith to quit my job and go full time on the business again. It’s a bit scary now that I’m divorced.

Thanks for proving my point. Nothing against your job, but I went to college so I won't have to be a driver. There are many jobs that pay well without a degree, but not everybody wants to be a driver or a plumber.

You owned a business and filed taxes, had business cards, etc?

If an idiot like me can easily make over 60k then so should college graduates.

She’s not but the system is. It’s a scam.

You don't "easily" make over 60k. You have to work 55-70 hours a week to make that. Also, you're a driver. Those are the types of jobs most people don't want to do.

You can graduate from EPCC and UTEP and pay around $20k to hopefully find a job that you love. I don't know what the "scam" is.

You don't "easily" make over 60k. You have to work 55-70 hours a week to make that. Also, you're a driver. Those are the types of jobs most people don't want to do.

You can graduate from EPCC and UTEP and pay around $20k to hopefully find a job that you love. I don't know what the "scam" is.
I work from 6-4 and easily make 60k a year. 6-6 and I’m looking at an easy 70k. I don’t see how that’s any worse from someone that works 9-5. I love my job. The day goes by quick. I get to see the city grow and transform. The entire city is my office. My job is badass. Put a podcast or music and cruise around with the freezing a/c blasting, picking up, and delivering containers all around Travis, Hays, Bell, Williamson, and Bastrop County. The truck does all the work for me I simply control it. I feel very fortunate and blessed.

I work from 6-4 and easily make 60k a year. 6-6 and I’m looking at an easy 70k. I don’t see how that’s any worse from someone that works 9-5. I love my job. The day goes by quick. I get to see the city grow and transform. The entire city is my office. My job is badass. Put a podcast or music and cruise around picking up and delivering containers all around Travis, Hays, Bell, Williamson, and Bastrop County. The truck does all the work for me I simply control it. I feel very fortunate and blessed.

My point is not everybody wants to drive a truck. If you love it, then that's great!

They don’t have to. As a matter of fact I hope they don’t. That makes us even more valuable.

Exactly my point. You don't have to go to college to be a driver. If you love that job, then that's great!

But you can't call college a "scam" just because you didn't graduate.

Your career is what you make of it.

If you’re happy at your job that pays you $20k a year - cool

If you’re happy at your job that pays you $60k a year - cool

If you’re happy doing an entry level job with no pressure - cool

If you went to college and want to make $200k a year and willing to do anything to get there - cool

Just because someone did or didn’t go to school doesn’t mean they’re under/overpaid. Depends on what you want and how you work. If I had the opportunity to make $200k a year, but I was working 12 hours everyday, being on call, and not really able to take a vacation day, it’s not worth it to me.

Your career is what you make of it.

If you’re happy at your job that pays you $20k a year - cool

If you’re happy at your job that pays you $60k a year - cool

If you’re happy doing an entry level job with no pressure - cool

If you went to college and want to make $200k a year and willing to do anything to get there - cool

Just because someone did or didn’t go to school doesn’t mean they’re under/overpaid. Depends on what you want and how you work. If I had the opportunity to make $200k a year, but I was working 12 hours everyday, being on call, and not really able to take a vacation day, it’s not worth it to me.

Thank you. None of us here were knocking any job.

I 100% agree that I wouldn't take that $200k job either, but if somebody is happy and enjoys working that much and being on call, then more power to them!

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

Don't you smoke marijuana? You don't get a drug check?

Put a podcast or music and cruise around with the freezing a/c blasting, picking up, and delivering containers all around Travis, Hays, Bell, Williamson, and Bastrop County.
God bless you JC! I occasionally travel to ATX from SA and that morning traffic on 35 is horrid. How is it gonna be bumper to bumper from Buda, heading north, at 6am!?!

Are they working under the table or for a company?

Really strange because the median salary of a maid and housekeeper is $23,770.

https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/maid-and-housekeeper/salary#:~:text=Maids and Housekeepers made a,paid 25 percent made $20,340.
She works for herself. Her own company. I already explained the math. She charges $120 a house and cleans up to 18 a week. I don’t get involved in her tax situation. Customers pay her through Cash App, Venmo, PayPal, checks, credit card, and some cash. There’s a paper trail.

God bless you JC! I occasionally travel to ATX from SA and that morning traffic on 35 is horrid. How is it gonna be bumper to bumper from Buda, heading north, at 6am!?!
Traffic has been none existent since the pandemic stated. I can go from Buda to Round Rock through 35 in about 30 minutes. That was unheard of before. You either waited an hour in traffic or paid $10+ to take 130N. The lack of traffic has had an impact on my hours. That's at least one or two less hours a day stuck in traffic. That's why I haven't been able to hit 70 hours.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
She works for herself. Her own company. I already explained the math. She charges $120 a house and cleans up to 18 a week. I don’t get involved in her tax situation. Customers pay her through Cash App, Venmo, PayPal, checks, credit card, and some cash. There’s a paper trail.

I don't believe it. Sounds like illegal operations.

What is the name of her company?

I don't believe it. Sounds like illegal operations.
That's cool man. Ever since I left El Paso I've learned so much about making money that I never knew was possible. Friday at my last stop I delivered at a house on GlenLake. If you know about Austin then you know that's a very exclusive neighborhood. The homeowner builds decks for a living. Lives in a multi-million dollar neighborhood while working with woods and nails all day. I've met so many people through this business that have really nice lives and have never step foot inside a university. The trick is to work for yourself and for the customer to be your boss. I know I could make even more money than I do now if ran my own business again. There's a lot of money to be made for those who work hard.

Reactions: RanDaddyBinks
That's cool man. Ever since I left El Paso I've learned so much about making money that I never knew was possible. Friday at my last stop I delivered at a house on GlenLake. If you know about Austin then you know that's a very exclusive neighborhood. The homeowner builds decks for a living. Lives in a multi-million dollar neighborhood while working with woods and nails all day. I've met so many people through this business that have really nice lives and have never step foot inside a university. The trick is to work for yourself and for the customer to be your boss. I know I could make even more money than I do now if ran my own business again. There's a lot of money to be made for those who work hard.

Life isn't all about money.

I don't care about living in a million dollar neighborhood and driving fancy cars.

Just because you're rich doesn't mean you have a nice life.

Life isn't all about money.

I don't care about living in a million dollar neighborhood and driving fancy cars
Sounds like you're a simple man. I don't care for a nice house either. I rather live in the country with a lot of space. I'm not into fancy cars either but I do love me a nice new diesel truck.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

You've learned so much, but you're a truck driver?

Why aren't you working for yourself if it's so easy?

Sounds like you're a simple man. I don't care for a nice house either. I rather live in the country with a lot of space. I'm not into fancy cars either but I do love me a nice new diesel truck.

Pretty much. I don't need a lot to be happy.

You've learned so much, but you're a truck driver?

Why aren't you working for yourself if it's so easy?
You do know you can meet people and learn from them? My job deals with a lot of businesses owners and contractors. We exchange information all the time. They've called me for weekend gigs here and there.

I'm not working for myself because it takes a leap of faith to quit your guaranteed income and go all-in on your own. I'm not ready to take that risk since I'm comfortable with my income and job right now.

You do know you can meet people and learn from them? My job deals with a lot of businesses owners and contractors. We exchange information all the time. They've called me for weekend gigs here and there.

I'm not working for myself because it takes a leap of faith to quit your guaranteed income and go all-in on your own. I'm not ready to take that risk since I'm comfortable with my income and job right now.

Exactly. It's a risk. For every person that "made it big" there are dozens of other people who failed.

Hard work doesn't always equal success. Sometimes you have to be lucky as well.

When I was in EP making peanuts it was easy to take the risk. I had nothing to lose. I created my own luck through hard work.

Again, hard work doesn't always pay off. You can't create luck. Luck just happens.

Also the problem sometimes with successful people is they don't tell you us how they started and how much help they got.

I have a relative who goes around saying he"owns" a house while working a minimum wage job. The house is in his parent's name and they are paying the mortgage.

Don't believe everything people tell you.

This is why some people think you will always win just by working hard.

When I was in EP making peanuts it was easy to take the risk. I had nothing to lose. I created my own luck through hard work.

It's like with baseball. There are players in the minors who work hard and never get a chance to play in the Majors, while others get lucky by filling in for injured players.

Look at Tom Brady. What if Drew Bledsoe never got injured? Brady was lucky and got a chance to showcase his talents.

You can't create your own luck. Luck will come to you and you just have to take advantage of the opportunity.

Again, hard work doesn't always pay off. You can't create luck. Luck just happens.

Also the problem sometimes with successful people is they don't tell you us how they started and how much help they got.

I have a relative who goes around saying he"owns" a house while working a minimum wage job. The house is in his parent's name and they are paying the mortgage.

Don't believe everything people tell you.

This is why some people think you will always win just by working hard.
People would call me because their previous pool company wasn't doing a good job with the pool. The reason is that those big companies had employees making 7.25hr that don't give a damn. I show up and do my thing because my name and future is on the line. After they see my work, I'm hired permanently and now they're telling all their friends and relatives about this pool guy that treats each pool like it was his. Word of mouth is the best advertising. No luck needed just hard work and good manners.

People would call me because their previous pool company wasn't doing a good job with the pool. The reason is that those big companies had employees making 7.25hr that don't give a damn. I show up and do my thing because my name and future is on the line. After they see my work, I'm hired permanently and now they're telling all their friends and relatives about this pool guy that treats each pool like it was his. Word of mouth is the best advertising. No luck needed just hard work and good manners.

How would people call you? Where did you advertise your business?

Word of mouth is good, but hard work doesn't pay off all the time. I am sure there are people who do a better job than you at cleaning pools and there are better people than that person.

I'm just confused why you quit your successful pool business if you were making so much money.

How many pools were you cleaning every month and how much were you charging?

How many pools were you cleaning every month and how much were you charging?
I had around 50-60 weekly customers at my high point. Every week they had an assigned day I would stop by and service their pool. Friday and Saturday's I serviced the ”rich” eastside areas around Montwood HS, Americas HS, and El Dorado HS. Those are the two most valuable days. Everyone wants a clean pool for the weekend.

At end of the month I send them the bill. I charged $35 a service. Typically it would be $140 a month per customer but depending on the month sometimes they would have five services in the month and the bill was $175.

I quit because I need to leave El Paso. After the divorce, I saw my life starting to spiral out of control. My goal was to come to Austin and build an even bigger pool company than I had in EP. Once here I realized I didn't have the same hunger and fire I had in EP. After I started working so many hours I was just too drained to go do more work for my business. Little by little the dream dies every day.

I had around 50-60 weekly customers at my high point. Every week they had an assigned day I would stop by and service their pool. Friday and Saturday's I serviced the ”rich” eastside areas around Montwood HS, Americas HS, and El Dorado HS. Those are the two most valuable days. Everyone wants a clean pool for the weekend.

At end of the month I send them the bill. I charged $35 a service. Typically it would be $140 a month per customer but depending on the month sometimes they would have five services in the month and the bill was $175.

I quit because I need to leave El Paso. After the divorce, I saw my life starting to spiral out of control. My goal was to come to Austin and build an even bigger pool company than I had in EP. Once here I realized I didn't have the same hunger and fire I had in EP. After I started working so many hours I was just too drained to go do more work for my business. Little by little the dream dies every day.

Seems like a profitable business with over $80k in yearly sales.

What was the name of your business? Did somebody take over your business?

Good business cleaning over 200 pools a month. What was the name of your business? Did somebody take over your business?
It's been about 3+ years out of business in EP but it was called Mean Green Pools. I had a Google page with nothing but five-star reviews. I treated each customer like a king because I was grateful for the opportunity they gave me. When I moved to Austin I tried to change the location of my business from El Paso to Austin so that I could keep all the positive reviews. I'm not sure what I did wrong but I lost my page. I called Google’s customer service, and they were of little help.

I sold most of the route to other one-man companies I knew in the business. I gave some of my shitty pools away to a guy I met that was just starting off on his own.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Same. This means everything to me when I hire people. No BS. Show up on time and do your job correctly. When this happens I'm usually obliged to throw in some extra just because I want too. I have a bunch of friends that have money to spend too and I will be quick to refer.

I always give benefit of the doubt, but people just love to mess up their own opportunities. I dont give a shit. I will move on quickly. I've got some crazy stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Why, tons of people work on their own, remember wages in other parts of the country aren’t like El Paso. That is one reason why I don’t understand more business moving here.

I know tons of people work on their own. I don't believe she is making that much money as a housekeeper with a legitimate business.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT