ADVERTISEMENT

Newton Brothers - EP Burges Basketball

Lil_Train

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
I've seen some pretty impressive press on the Newton brothers out of Burges High, including Alamo Hoops which has Juwuan as the top unsigned senior in Texas. With several scholarships to hand out late, I am wondering if Terry may target one/both of these kids, who happen to be cousins of the Jones kids. I wanted to get some thoughts on these kids from those familiar with their play; wondering if they are indeed D1 type players.

Last edited:
Pleeeze no El Paso kids
I’d normally agree, but I’ve seen these kids in person a few times over the past two seasons and they can ball at C-USA, Sun Belt, WAC and even MWC level. Just my opinion but those kids can really get after it, they are really athletic, wiry guards with long wingspans who aren’t scared to defend and hustle, i think they can produce at a low-to-mid major level only question for both will be offensive efficiently and consistency they shoot a lot at Burges and both usually score 30 points on like 25-30 shot attempts on an average night.

I’ve heard from Burges coach that Chris Beard at Texas Tech has been really flirty with them but hasn’t offered, probably the best prospects El Paso basketball has seen since Cliff Tucker who went to Maryland.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Pleeeze no El Paso kids
I feel ya, but every now and again there's an elite Basketball athlete that comes out of EP and this kid is special. He lead Texas in PPG in 5A and was City MVP. With that said its lower competition, but he's a D1 talent a d will be at a D1 school next year. However Utep needs to save its remaining scholarships for some better talent out there and some guys over 6'7

i saw some video of them and a juwuan Newton the older one. Looks like he is the one with most talent. Tristen needs a little more work. I hope they are playing some AAU basketball. That to me is where the best of the best play. I dont even know if good players play in high school anymore? They care more about their AAU team.

You can’t deny the kid can ball. If everyone returns, UTEP has a glaring need at PF/C and unfortunately he doesn’t fill that role. But do you let him leave? That’s tough.

Thanks for the insights. With most of the top high school seniors already signed, I think a guy like Newton could be a potential Terry target. A lot depends on who comes back, and who he already has in mind. While we do need an interior presence badly, I think there is also room for guys on the perimeter that can defend. That area was void this past year, and with Harris graduating, it is even weaker. I have seen that Newton is considered a pretty solid defender, so that may work in his favor. Should be interesting to see who Terry is able to put together late.

We've had a few locals come out to UTEP and do well. Of course the great Nolan Richardson would be the best I can think of. Mark McCall comes to mind also. We had a few who did okay like Tevin Caldwell. Then there were the ones who COULD have been something but never reached their potential like Jeremy Primozich. Then you have the guys who mostly watch the games and occasionally get a minute of garbage time like Merle Heimer ("shoot!"), Lee Williams, Fernie Hernandez and (my old classmate) David Dick. I know I left out a few

Hey, I don't care where they come from as long as they can play, right?

Thanks for the insights. With most of the top high school seniors already signed, I think a guy like Newton could be a potential Terry target. A lot depends on who comes back, and who he already has in mind. While we do need an interior presence badly, I think there is also room for guys on the perimeter that can defend. That area was void this past year, and with Harris graduating, it is even weaker. I have seen that Newton is considered a pretty solid defender, so that may work in his favor. Should be interesting to see who Terry is able to put together late.
Hope Deshon Taylor replaces Harris void!

Hope Deshon Taylor replaces Harris void!
I agree with you on Taylor. Didn't mean to imply that a lightly recruited kid would be able to step in and fill Harris' shoes, especially as a freshman. As Terry mentioned, we need to bring in some more experienced guys to balance out the youth. On Newton, if he could perform similar to say a Tevin Caldwell, in a couple of years, that would be a win for the program in my opinion.

We've had a few locals come out to UTEP and do well. Of course the great Nolan Richardson would be the best I can think of. Mark McCall comes to mind also. We had a few who did okay like Tevin Caldwell. Then there were the ones who COULD have been something but never reached their potential like Jeremy Primozich. Then you have the guys who mostly watch the games and occasionally get a minute of garbage time like Merle Heimer ("shoot!"), Lee Williams, Fernie Hernandez and (my old classmate) David Dick. I know I left out a few

Marvin McBurrows and Rob Newton, who were in the same graduating/recruiting class as Mark McCall, had college careers at UNM.

I agree with you on Taylor. Didn't mean to imply that a lightly recruited kid would be able to step in and fill Harris' shoes, especially as a freshman. As Terry mentioned, we need to bring in some more experienced guys to balance out the youth. On Newton, if he could perform similar to say a Tevin Caldwell, in a couple of years, that would be a win for the program in my opinion.
I just don't know of he eants to use one of the 5 scholarships on him? And he's better than a walk on, he could get a free scholarship to other schools at small D1 level

Primozich used to go to the rim with no abandon. He was very aggressive and would throw it down hard. Something I wish PT would do.

McCall was my fovorite. He had just graduated El Paso high when I came in. Harper had pictures of him all over the locker room...dunking on everybody!

Primozich used to go to the rim with no abandon. He was very aggressive and would throw it down hard. Something I wish PT would do.

McCall was my fovorite. He had just graduated El Paso high when I came in. Harper had pictures of him all over the locker room...dunking on everybody!

Hey, how many guys from El Paso can say they played with the Harlem Globetrotters?

If everyone comes back, we have 3 players reurning that are over 6’6”. Thomas (6’8”), Smith (6’9) and Rhyanes (6’9”). Given Thomas’ propensity for getting into foul trouble and the fact that Smith has serious stamina issues, The Miners need some big time help down low. Terry needs to bring someone (or maybe two players) who can immediately help in the post. But, I would be hesitant to give a scholarship to some scrub just because he is tall. Newton looks like a high motor kid and if he is more talented than any big men the staff are looking at then they should go NFL Draft strategy and take the best player available.

We had that kid from Montwood, Martinez who went on to play a major role during UNMs better days during the Barbee era.

Reactions: axingfools1
If everyone comes back, we have 3 players reurning that are over 6’6”. Thomas (6’8”), Smith (6’9) and Rhyanes (6’9”). Given Thomas’ propensity for getting into foul trouble and the fact that Smith has serious stamina issues, The Miners need some big time help down low. Terry needs to bring someone (or maybe two players) who can immediately help in the post. But, I would be hesitant to give a scholarship to some scrub just because he is tall. Newton looks like a high motor kid and if he is more talented than any big men the staff are looking at then they should go NFL Draft strategy and take the best player available.
Rhyanes local walk on won't play likely

Some of us old-timers remember Darold Molix, Tim Crenshaw, Jim Bowden, and Terry White were all El Paso Eastwood products back in the day.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966

Who is Rhyanes?

For us really old timers. Jim Forbes, Ed Lynum, Gus Bailey, Beto Bautista And Rudy Alvarez. All played on the same team.

Reactions: LTMiner61
For us really old timers. Jim Forbes, Ed Lynum, Gus Bailey, Beto Bautista And Rudy Alvarez. All played on the same team.

Gus Bailey. .. such a sad story. Actually went to Burges with my old JV football coach. Can't believe I left out Jim Forbes out of Bel Air.

Cliff Tucker, Maryland. Pretty good player.

According to verbal commits both kids have one offer both from Jackson State.

HE'S A WALK ON....Why would we pay attention, bro?

I know the name of every single player on the team. It's kind of embarrassing when you don't know the players on the team you follow. I can maybe understand with football, but it's not hard to know who is on the basketball team.

Even if you don't know you can always do a Google search and you would find your answer right away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT