ADVERTISEMENT

Next Uteps 🏀 Coach

I would be suspect of his offensive schemes, unless he hires a good assistant, but that is unproved so I don't have anything against Foster personally or anything like that, I have more questions about what he could do that what he brings tomorrow if hired, we know he would recruit, but I have too many questions. UTEP needs someone proven right now, Foster is a big gamble IMO kinda like Kugler in a sense, we don't know what we are exactly getting to be honest.
Well, Bigwood has his contacts and your pattern of your threads are putting much going in the direction that Terry is gone.

Foster will almost surely throw his hat in the ring. I'd be surprised if he didn't.

UTEP needs to find the next McCasland. Someone who can go into a underperforming mid major venue and succeed. Whoever does come will have to start from scratch because I seriously doubt anyone stays.

Reactions: kickballpro
I would be suspect of his offensive schemes, unless he hires a good assistant, but that is unproved so I don't have anything against Foster personally or anything like that, I have more questions about what he could do that what he brings tomorrow if hired, we know he would recruit, but I have too many questions. UTEP needs someone proven right now, Foster is a big gamble IMO kinda like Kugler in a sense, we don't know what we are exactly getting to be honest.
With Kugler, we knew he was going to install a "3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust" offense in the era of the spread. Kugler was more of a gamble because what he wanted to do was so against the grain of the modern game.

Fair enough, we don't know exactly what types of offensive sets Foster would run, but we know that he has done time as an assistant at UTEP, the 76ers, the Bucks, the Hawks, and the Pacers. He's got some good years of experience at different places and I'm sure he has soaked up some things at every stop. He knows the NBA both as a player and as an assistant, and I think that would be a good selling point to recruits hoping to go pro.

Last edited:
To date still the only NCAA appearance for that school.

Scott Cross is exactly the kind of coach I'd expect Senter to hire. Good Xs and Os, experience... and yes some success at his old school but a smaller school that realized he had reached his ceiling and decided to cut ties.

No need for us to think or expect he'd get over the hump here that he only sniffed once after such a long career elsewhere.

Well, Bigwood has his contacts and your pattern of your threads are putting much going in the direction that Terry is gone.

Foster will almost surely throw his hat in the ring. I'd be surprised if he didn't.

UTEP needs to find the next McCasland. Someone who can go into a underperforming mid major venue and succeed. Whoever does come will have to start from scratch because I seriously doubt anyone stays.
Still not fully sold Terry is gone yet, but the thought of it is giving me a raging sports hard on.....

Jeff Van Gundy I will throw his name. I think he would do it. He supported Utep on TV.
3QeZ.gif

Bring Back Billy Gilliespy, PERIOD! He proved to be the most successful coach after Haskins. Maybe he wouldn't turn around the program on the second season like he did back then, but he would accomplish big things in three or four years.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Bring Back Billy Gilliespy, PERIOD! He proved to be the most successful coach after Haskins. Maybe he wouldn't turn around the program on the second season like he did back then, but he would accomplish big things in three or four years.

Im going to have to respectfully disagree with you on Billy G. He’s 61, and since his departure from UTEP he’s had all kinds of health problems and he hasn’t done anything of any significance in almost 14 years. I don’t think anyone can say he’s done anything of substance in the last 10 years to justify the HC position.

It's obvious you don't want Terry at Texas but we don't want him here either. Come on take one for the team. You guys can easily buy him out next year and send him on his way.
If I were a Texas fan, I would want him. The guy can recruit and he has proven that. Texas doesn't need him to coach Xs and Os. His job is to bring in players and Beard is going to coach them up. It's a great move for Texas in my opinion. In the end I hope Uni is right. I hope he goes to Texas so he's not handling Xs and Os here. I also hope that Beard and his staff are a bust too because screw them

Apologies if Kappy's interview with Tim Hardaway has already been posted but here it is. Kappy's question about Tim coaching at UTEP comes at 22:10. The link starts at 22:08. Tim absolutely wants the job and has been asking for it. Senter -- and Rodney Terry regarding a job as an assistant -- blew him off.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Yes!! Please!!

Apologies if Kappy's interview with Tim Hardaway has already been posted but here it is. Kappy's question about Tim coaching at UTEP comes at 22:10. The link starts at 22:08. Tim absolutely wants the job and has been asking for it. Senter -- and Rodney Terry regarding a job as an assistant -- blew him off.

That settles it. Hire Foster as the head coach and bring in Tim as assistant.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
It was mentioned before but the thread was deleted... I wonder if Tim Hatdaway's comments regarding gays many years ago make him unhireable for a head coaching position

I believe he recanted after being shamed and reprogrammed.

Still happened in the internet age. Ray Rice never played again because of his video. Myers Leonard will never play again because of what he said.

Some group would have a problem with it if he were hired. Unless Elton John gave his public support, you can forget about it.

Still happened in the internet age. Ray Rice never played again because of his video. Myers Leonard will never play again because of what he said.

Some group would have a problem with it if he were hired. Unless Elton John gave his public support, you can forget about it.

Anything can happen. Too many coaches out there with baggage that are coaching again right now.

It was mentioned before but the thread was deleted... I wonder if Tim Hatdaway's comments regarding gays many years ago make him unhireable for a head coaching position
It didn’t stop him from getting an Assistant Coach position in The NBA. Why would it hurt him in college?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
It depends on the baggage. Now is not the time to mention comments that you hate gay people, don’t want to be around them, and they shouldn’t be in the world. The media firestorm would be crazy if we hired him.
If he still espoused those beliefs, that would be one thing. He long ago apologized and changed his views, didn't he? If he were being hired as the university president, maybe it would be more relevant, but is this something that most basketball recruits are going to care about? Does it impact his ability to coach basketball?

As our society becomes more woke, we seem to become less capable of forgiveness.

I'll pass on Hardaway. Doesn't have much coaching experience.

I'm good with that.

As for his past comments in regards to the LGBT community, well, I challenge everyone on this board to state that they have *never* called someone a "fag" or a "queer" or a "joto" or "maricon" or something that is now frowned upon as an anti-LGBT term. Myself included. I fail that challenge.

If he still espoused those beliefs, that would be one thing. He long ago apologized and changed his views, didn't he? If he were being hired as the university president, maybe it would be more relevant, but is this something that most basketball recruits are going to care about? Does it impact his ability to coach basketball?

As our society becomes more woke, we seem to become less capable of forgiveness.
Ya recruits don’t give a crap and it doesn’t impact his ability to coach basketball. Just because he said he is sorry and donates money doesn’t mean all is forgotten and forgiven. Heather Wilson caught all kinds of heat for voting against gay rights, you really think she wants to deal with the media firestorm when she signs off on a coach who said he hates gay people and they don’t belong in this world?

I'm good with that.

As for his past comments in regards to the LGBT community, well, I challenge everyone on this board to state that they have *never* called someone a "fag" or a "queer" or a "joto" or "maricon" or something that is now frowned upon as an anti-LGBT term. Myself included. I fail that challenge.

People in the spotlight and celebrities are held to a higher standard. He didn’t just call someone a “queer”. He said he “hated” gay people and it shouldn’t be in the world. That’s a lot different than calling a gay person, “queer”.

“During a February 14, 2007, interview on Miami's The Dan Le Batard Show, in response to the coming out of former NBA player John Amaechi, Hardaway remarked that he would try to distance himself from a player he knew was homosexual. When asked by the radio show host whether he realized that his remarks were homophobic, Hardaway responded by saying: "Well, you know I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States." He also said that if he found out he had one or more gay teammates, he would try to get them fired.”

People in the spotlight and celebrities are held to a higher standard. He didn’t just call someone a “queer”. He said he “hated” gay people and it shouldn’t be in the world. That’s a lot different than calling a gay person, “queer”.

“During a February 14, 2007, interview on Miami's The Dan Le Batard Show, in response to the coming out of former NBA player John Amaechi, Hardaway remarked that he would try to distance himself from a player he knew was homosexual. When asked by the radio show host whether he realized that his remarks were homophobic, Hardaway responded by saying: "Well, you know I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States." He also said that if he found out he had one or more gay teammates, he would try to get them fired.”

His comments are obviously abhorrent. I see them as having come from a place of fear in Tim. I just don't see him as the kind of person that sincerely "hates" anyone.

I may be wrong. Or not. I suppose I'll never really know. I mean, it's not like I really know him or anything. I suppose I just choose to believe that he's not the hateful person he sounded like with that statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT