ADVERTISEMENT

Next Uteps 🏀 Coach

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Jeff Van Gundy I will throw his name. I think he would do it. He supported Utep on TV.

Why not Greg Foster? People want to give the job to a "hungry" assistant. Well, he has several years of experience as an assistant, both at UTEP and in the pros. Some people have expressed that Greg Foster should go prove himself as a head coach somewhere else, but are still willing to give the UTEP job to some "hungry" assistant.

To me, Greg Foster looks as good as any hungry assistant, and his ties to UTEP are a plus.

Why not Greg Foster? People want to give the job to a "hungry" assistant. Well, he has several years of experience as an assistant, both at UTEP and in the pros. Some people have expressed that Greg Foster should go prove himself as a head coach somewhere else, but are still willing to give the UTEP job to some "hungry" assistant.

To me, Greg Foster looks as good as any hungry assistant, and his ties to UTEP are a plus.
Agree. In my opinion he should be a strong consideration. So should Billy. So should Barbee. Among others.

Senter’s list:

Dave Leitao, 66-113 in his last 6 years at DePaul. CBI runners up in 2019!

Dugger Baucom, 64-118 in 6 years at the Citadel. Hired by Senter once already. No NCAA appearances in 16 years as a D1 coach. Made the CIT semifinals once!

Jim Christian, 78-132 in 7 years at Boston College. Made 1 NIT! Made the CBI at TCU!

All these guys have to be on Senter’s radar! We won’t have to worry about them leaving for another head coaching job.

Senter’s list:

Dugger Baucom, 64-118 in 6 years at the Citadel. Hired by Senter once already. No NCAA appearances in 16 years as a D1 coach. Made the CIT semifinals once!

Jim Christian, 78-132 in 7 years at Boston College. Made 1 NIT! Made the CBI at TCU!

All these guys have to be on Senter’s radar! We won’t have to worry about them leaving for another head coaching job.

Not sure if it will be anyone on that list, but it will be a current or former head coach with an underwhelming resume.

Senter’s list:

Sadly those names are way more impressive than whoever Senter would come up with.

We give Senter alot of shit. Imo he really did try and hire someone who was going to win here. I heard very little to no complaints when first hired. Why would there be? It looked like Terry was heating up. Won 65+ games in his last 3 years at Fresno.

Too bad it's not working out but there's no denying that at the time he hired a solid name.

He messed up with the contract and pay. Senter should have told him come to UTEP for the same pay as Fresno or risk your luck with the incoming AD.

Reactions: Lil_Train

I would be against giving Foster or Hardaway the job. To me, it would feel like a Kugler/Floyd type hiring in that we would be valuing stability over success. If we hire someone with ties to UTEP, maybe they'll stay around for a while. For where the program is right now, that can't be the mentality.

We give Senter alot of shit. Imo he really did try and hire someone who was going to win here. I heard very little to no complaints when first hired. Why would there be? It looked like Terry was heating up. Won 65+ games in his last 3 years at Fresno.

Too bad it's not working out but there's no denying that at the time he hired a solid name.

He messed up with the contract and pay. Senter should have told him come to UTEP for the same pay as Fresno or risk your luck with the incoming AD.

Maybe we’re a little impatient and he will be vastly improved this upcoming season. However, most expect Bryson to leave and most posters who are “open minded” don’t believe it (improvement) will happen. We are not losing against elite teams and it’s not like we don’t have talent, so it has to be him.

Just look at this board and comments on Twitter. I haven’t seen a single “I hope he stays” comment.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I would be against giving Foster or Hardaway the job. To me, it would feel like a Kugler/Floyd type hiring in that we would be valuing stability over success. If we hire someone with ties to UTEP, maybe they'll stay around for a while. For where the program is right now, that can't be the mentality.
I would not hire Hardaway. What coaching experience or player relationships does he have? How and who would he recruit. The average young college player probably doesn't even know who he is.

Foster has a ton of assistant coaching experience, but has never been a head coach. I think it would be easier for him to recruit and he has an immediate connection to the NBA.

It would be fun watching a Gillespie team play, but I think it's just too late in the game.

Barbee would be far away the most prepared to coach and the best recruiter. I wonder if he would even consider the job. He and EP just never seemed to vibe, but this time he would have the upper hand.

Of the 4 options I would go Barbee, Foster, Billy G and the Hardaway.

Maybe we’re a little impatient and he will be vastly improved this upcoming season. However, most expect Bryson to leave and most posters who are “open minded” don’t believe it (improvement) will happen. We are not losing against elite teams and it’s not like we don’t have talent, so it has to be him.

Just look at this board and comments on Twitter. I haven’t seen a single “I hope he stays” comment.
Doesn't change the fact that he didn't hire a guy with .360 career winning percentage or someone who's best days were decades ago.

I don't know how realistic it is but I would like Scott Cross.

Being also a fan of Northwestern football with Coach Pat Fitzgerald, I've seen that it can work out very well. I want that for UTEP.

Is Greg Foster qualified on the basis of his assistant coaching experience? I'm more wary of Hardaway's coaching experience, but Greg Foster has made the rounds as an assistant and is worthy of a look on that basis.

Right, and at UTEP, there’s higher expectations than that. Not to mention the history of the program compared to UTA’s.
You just made my point. That's not a basketball school, hell it's not even an athletic school. He's a Texan, with the proper resources and at the right program he would thrive.

My head coach Power Rankings, last two are long shots but would be great hires.
1) Royal Ivey
2) Alvin Brooks III
3) Paul Wier
4) Ross Hodge (North Texas assistant)
5) Jason "Jet' Terry (Arizona Assistant)
6) Jason Hart (USC assistant)

Reactions: CCTexas13
You just made my point. That's not a basketball school, hell it's not even an athletic school. He's a Texan, with the proper resources and at the right program he would thrive.

Leading a school to their only NCAA appearance is some great accomplishment if you fell short all the other years?

El Paso is Texas in name only. It’s nothing like the rest of the state and you know that since you live somewhere else. Rodney Terry is as Texas as it comes, how’s that working out for us?

Reactions: kickballpro
My head coach Power Rankings, last two are long shots but would be great hires.
1) Royal Ivey
2) Alvin Brooks III
3) Paul Wier
4) Ross Hodge (North Texas assistant)
5) Jason "Jet' Terry (Arizona Assistant)
6) Jason Hart (USC assistant)

What about Chris Jans?

Leading a school to their only NCAA appearance is some great accomplishment if you fell short all the other years?

El Paso is Texas in name only. It’s nothing like the rest of the state and you know that since you live somewhere else. Rodney Terry is as Texas as it comes, how’s that working out for us?
Such is the life of a small program in a lower one bid league. Make one mistake and kiss the NCAAT goodbye. Almost all of the success of Arlington came under Cross.

I can guarantee you Cross would coach circles around Terry. Terry has alot of advantages in conference and still falls short.

Fun to speculate, dream, analyze resumes, etc, but first we have to have an opening. Through some miracle of him leaving, how can we trust our AD to have a clue what to look for? So far he's 0 fer 2.

If Terry doesn't leave for assistant job shouldn't he be dismissed or fired for even applying??? Or maybe Senter told him he w

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Fun to speculate, dream, analyze resumes, etc, but first we have to have an opening. Through some miracle of him leaving, how can we trust our AD to have a clue what to look for? So far he's 0 fer 2.
I'll admit that on paper, I thought the Terry hire looked good at the time. The team he left at Fresno State won 23 games after he left (even losing the players he brought over from Fresno State), so I thought he knew something about putting together a team.

Well, Bill Self has not led UTEP down a primrose path; he did send us Billy. When Billy asked him about the UTEP opening back at their Illini days when he was an assistant, Self told to grab it with both hands. Hopefully, Senter will give him a chime.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Does his contract prohibit him from applying? That's why his contract has a buyout.

IDK but doesn't look good for Terry if he applied. Like someone said on Twitter. It's a stab on the back for Senter. Senter gave him an extension.

Being also a fan of Northwestern football with Coach Pat Fitzgerald, I've seen that it can work out very well. I want that for UTEP.

Is Greg Foster qualified on the basis of his assistant coaching experience? I'm more wary of Hardaway's coaching experience, but Greg Foster has made the rounds as an assistant and is worthy of a look on that basis.

I could see Foster getting the job and Foster brings Floyd as an assistant. Lol That's what Steve Nash did when he took the Nets job.

I hope you all have the bourbon ready because what if he stays at UTEP? The fall went from a falling on play mat to the top of the bluff looking 200 feet down.

I'm taking the Kappy "Hire Price" debate from eighteen years ago. I remember him going on the air opining that Price may not be the right fit at UTEP. Now I know that's Kap's style on the radio but no one in El Paso was asking that. It was a sure fire Jamboree when he got here but after it was all said and done after seven years there was a bad, bad hangover and then comes Kugler's to UTEP with a bad chip on his shoulder about Price, which I think didn't make things better for UTEP football.

Senter, you are on the clock, sir. Not saying anything for a longer extended period of time makes things worse.

What do you have against foster ?
I would be suspect of his offensive schemes, unless he hires a good assistant, but that is unproved so I don't have anything against Foster personally or anything like that, I have more questions about what he could do that what he brings tomorrow if hired, we know he would recruit, but I have too many questions. UTEP needs someone proven right now, Foster is a big gamble IMO kinda like Kugler in a sense, we don't know what we are exactly getting to be honest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT