ADVERTISEMENT

Next Uteps 🏀 Coach

His comments are obviously abhorrent. I see them as having come from a place of fear in Tim. I just don't see him as the kind of person that sincerely "hates" anyone.

I may be wrong. Or not. I suppose I'll never really know. I mean, it's not like I really know him or anything. I suppose I just choose to believe that he's not the hateful person he sounded like with that statement.

Maybe, maybe not, but he chose to say them on national radio. There’s probably a lot of other celebrities and regular people that do or did share those thoughts. Magic Johnson and Dwanye Wade have LGBTQ sons. I don’t think they would take comments like that very well if I a teammate said something similar. Whether it be 10 weeks or years ago.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Thing is, in the internet age nothing really goes away. We see people shamed for tweets they made over a decade ago. Jane Fonda is still hated and all of that was back in 1972 long before rhe internet

Recruits may not care, but I'm talking about public outcry. Didn't O'rourke get bashed for some story he wrote when he was 15?

When are people going to learn how to forgive? If all the “woke” people would look in the mirror and see how intolerant they are, the world would be a better place.
I am so confused with all this crap, was raised not to see color, race but to deal with people for who they are not what they look like. I was led to believe we are one people all equal. Now it seems like we are supposed to separate people! Guess I’m to damn dumb to understand today’s world.

When are people going to learn how to forgive? If all the “woke” people would look in the mirror and see how intolerant they are, the world would be a better place.
I am so confused with all this crap, was raised not to see color, race but to deal with people for who they are not what they look like. I was led to believe we are one people all equal. Now it seems like we are supposed to separate people! Guess I’m to damn dumb to understand today’s world.

Today saying you "don't see color" would get you labeled as not understanding racial injustice

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketsr
Any guy we hire is a gamble to some extent. If Hardaway coaches with the same tenacity and intensity with which he played, if his desire to win is as great as a coach as it was a player, I’d give him a shot in a heart beat.

I’m with roadkiller, TH said what he said out of pure ignorance and fear, like most who hold that point of view. It was 15 years ago. People do change, perhaps in small almost imperceptible ways, but point of view can change. Anyway...

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Any guy we hire is a gamble to some extent. If Hardaway coaches with the same tenacity and intensity with which he played, if his desire to win is as great as a coach as it was a player, I’d give him a shot in a heart beat.

I’m with roadkiller, TH said what he said out of pure ignorance and fear, like most who hold that point of view. It was 15 years ago. People do change, perhaps in small almost imperceptible ways, but point of view can change. Anyway...
On Hardaway, I don't think he earned a degree (that I am aware), so I don't think he would qualify for a D1 Head coach, and maybe even a D1 assistant. I don't think he would get hired even if he did have his degree, but I thought I would throw that out there.

On Hardaway, I don't think he earned a degree (that I am aware), so I don't think he would qualify for a D1 Head coach, and maybe even a D1 assistant. I don't think he would get hired even if he did have his degree, but I thought I would throw that out there.
That explains why he hasn't coached much at the non professional level. Didn't Foster earn his degree while coaching at UTEP under Floyd?

Reactions: kickballpro
Keller is a 180 of Rodney Terry and I am not implying that Terry's "ambitions" are wrong or not constructive but now that the cats of the bag about his interest in an assistant position at Tulsa, it may be best that Terry just leave UTEP asap. No goodbye's, salutations, fist bumps or alcohol induced "I love you man!", just get the F out. The Tulsa story has not hit general circulation in El Paso but once it does it is not going to be pleasant.

UTEP may not get Keller, but it needs a coach like Keller:

"....Coach Keller... wanted everyone to know that he would not trade his years as a mid-major head coach for anything. The job in his eyes is much more rewarding than being an assistant at a power school. "

Why do mid-majors get less respect than power schools?

Kyle Keller from SFA would be a home run. Two NCAA-caliber teams in five seasons, runs an aggressive defense, some big wins against big schools. Only makes $400k.

What a dumb idea! It’s impossible to get good coaches for that price. If we hire someone for that price, might as well drop to D2. We should be hiring people for $750,000 and give them 6 years to get a championship caliber team! We almost beat freakin Kansas!!

Tang should be high on Senter’s list if he is interested in the job.
Tang has been at Baylor for 18 years. After winning yesterday and UT bringing the heat, Tang will probably get a hefty raise to stick around. Baylor isn’t going to let their staff go without a fight

Tang has been at Baylor for 18 years. After winning yesterday and UT bringing the heat, Tang will probably get a hefty raise to stick around. Baylor isn’t going to let their staff go without a fight
True but maybe after 18 years as an assistant and UTEP being the only job open at the moment, he might think it’s time to be a head coach somewhere. Or if he may want to stay at Baylor for one more season and hope he can land a better job than UTEP. Who knows but it’s worth the try.

Hiring alumni who played in the NBA with assistant coaching experience seems to be a successful formula in the NCAA. Hire Greg Foster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT