ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Network reporting that Don Maynard has passed

I always thought he was a kicker.
FROM ESPNKROD:

Steve KaplowitzPublished: January 10, 2022

When news broke today that Don Maynard had passed away at the age of 86, a lot of memories raced through my mind. As a longtime New York Jets fan, #13 is the greatest receiver in the history of the franchise and one of the NFL's best ever. However, Maynard's legacy goes much farther than that, especially when you examine the impact that he had in El Paso.

He arrived at Texas Western in 1954 after transferring from Rice. During his three seasons with the Miners, Maynard caught just 28 total passes, but 10 of those receptions went for touchdowns. He also averaged 27.6 yards per catch. When he was not catching footballs for TWC, he served as the team's running back and he also returned punts and kickoffs. He was the perfect definition of an all-purpose back. The New York Giants selected him in 9th round of the 1957 NFL Draft and Maynard spent two seasons backing up Frank Gifford and also returning kickoffs for the team. He played in the famous 1958 NFL overtime title game against the Colts. After spending one season in the Canadian Football League in 1959, Maynard returned to New York to join the AFL expansion team, the Titans. He experienced immediate success with the Titans and later the Jets, where he established an incredible rapport with quarterback Joe Namath that would lead both of them to Canton.

attachment-Mount-Rushmore-El-Paso-Sports.jpg

Nacho Garcia/El Paso Inc.

A little more than three years ago, I wrote a story in El Paso Inc. about my Mount Rushmore of El Paso sports. The premise behind it was sports figures who grew up or spent at least 10 years living in the Sun City and made a true impact here. Maynard was a no-brainer for me, along with Don Haskins, Nolan Richardson, and Andy Cohen. That list might change someday, but Maynard has a firm place on that mountain.

When I took over as host of SportsTalk in the summer of 1997, the football great was a frequent caller to my show. He would identify himself as "Don from the Westside", but we always knew when he was on the phone. He enjoyed talking about the UTEP football program and he once offered to take over as the head coach of the program and not take a salary. His favorite topic to discuss was why college and pro football teams never understood the idea of a receiver running a route past the first down marker so they never fell short of moving the chains. If we were lucky, he would tell us how he was always on the same page with his quarterback, Joe Namath no matter what route he was running during his years with the Jets.

Read More: Don Maynard is One of El Paso's Greatest Sports Figures | https://krod.com/don-maynard-is-one...gures/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Reactions: develman
633 NFL receptions in the era he played would be over 1000 today.

He was more of an all purpose player for Texas Western playing RB and DB

He didn't have a reception in Super Bowl III due to having been injured the week before, , but the Colts didn't know that and Maynard was used as a decoy.

Played in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Was a WR for the Jets during their 1968-69 AFL and Super Bowl championship teams. 1987 Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee.

Reactions: MinerFan79
I just read the other article you posted on the CUSA board. Never knew he started his college career at RICE.

I know about Deacon Jones, Jim Brown, Joe Namath and the positions they played even though I wasn’t born yet. Good lord you’re frustrating as hell to listen to…a former Miner great that everybody knows about…except you {smh}.

congratulations you win a free supply of clorox for life.

FROM ESPNKROD:

Steve KaplowitzPublished: January 10, 2022

When news broke today that Don Maynard had passed away at the age of 86, a lot of memories raced through my mind. As a longtime New York Jets fan, #13 is the greatest receiver in the history of the franchise and one of the NFL's best ever. However, Maynard's legacy goes much farther than that, especially when you examine the impact that he had in El Paso.

He arrived at Texas Western in 1954 after transferring from Rice. During his three seasons with the Miners, Maynard caught just 28 total passes, but 10 of those receptions went for touchdowns. He also averaged 27.6 yards per catch. When he was not catching footballs for TWC, he served as the team's running back and he also returned punts and kickoffs. He was the perfect definition of an all-purpose back. The New York Giants selected him in 9th round of the 1957 NFL Draft and Maynard spent two seasons backing up Frank Gifford and also returning kickoffs for the team. He played in the famous 1958 NFL overtime title game against the Colts. After spending one season in the Canadian Football League in 1959, Maynard returned to New York to join the AFL expansion team, the Titans. He experienced immediate success with the Titans and later the Jets, where he established an incredible rapport with quarterback Joe Namath that would lead both of them to Canton.

attachment-Mount-Rushmore-El-Paso-Sports.jpg

Nacho Garcia/El Paso Inc.

A little more than three years ago, I wrote a story in El Paso Inc. about my Mount Rushmore of El Paso sports. The premise behind it was sports figures who grew up or spent at least 10 years living in the Sun City and made a true impact here. Maynard was a no-brainer for me, along with Don Haskins, Nolan Richardson, and Andy Cohen. That list might change someday, but Maynard has a firm place on that mountain.

When I took over as host of SportsTalk in the summer of 1997, the football great was a frequent caller to my show. He would identify himself as "Don from the Westside", but we always knew when he was on the phone. He enjoyed talking about the UTEP football program and he once offered to take over as the head coach of the program and not take a salary. His favorite topic to discuss was why college and pro football teams never understood the idea of a receiver running a route past the first down marker so they never fell short of moving the chains. If we were lucky, he would tell us how he was always on the same page with his quarterback, Joe Namath no matter what route he was running during his years with the Jets.

Read More: Don Maynard is One of El Paso's Greatest Sports Figures | https://krod.com/don-maynard-is-one...gures/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

what about ED Hochuli??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT