ADVERTISEMENT

ODU @ UTEP

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
So ODU just finished beating Charlotte. They will have played an extra game this week before our game on Thursday. Charlotte will be playing their third game of the week by the time they step into the Don.

Do you all think this can benefit us a bit? Kind of even out the playing field as far as tiredness goes. We need to beat Charlotte. It will be huge if it comes down to the wire for that final spot in the CUSA tournament.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
You forget the past, but I do hope the outcome is much better than on 02/17/2018:
"The UTEP men's basketball team paid a visit to the Conference USA championship race Saturday night.

It went about as poorly as it was supposed to, as Old Dominion scored the first seven points, kept the pedal to the floor and sprinted past the Miners 82-33 to stay one-and-a-half games back of Middle Tennessee at the top of the C-USA standings.

This was the second fewest points by UTEP in the modern era; the fewest in the shot-clock era. The all-time low was 27 points against Wyoming in the 1978-79 season." [EPTimes.com]

Offensive Stat Comparison
Stat ODU UTEP
Points/Game 67.8 65.1
Avg Score Margin +7.4 -5.2
Assists/Game 12.9 10.9
Total Rebounds/Gm 39.6 34.2
Effective FG % 49.0% 48.9%
Off Rebound % 30.9% 23.2%
FTA/FGA 0.263 0.390
Turnover % 14.9% 20.6%
Defensive Stat Comparison
Stat ODU UTEP
Opp Points/Game 60.4 70.3
Opp Effective FG % 45.2% 50.4%
Off Rebounds/Gm 10.4 7.3
Def Rebounds/Gm 25.7 24.4
Blocks/Game 4.5 2.7
Steals/Game 5.7 4.8
Personal Fouls/Gm 16.8 19.7
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/matchup/monarchs-miners-2019-01-24

So ODU just finished beating Charlotte. They will have played an extra game this week before our game on Thursday. Charlotte will be playing their third game of the week by the time they step into the Don.

Do you all think this can benefit us a bit? Kind of even out the playing field as far as tiredness goes. We need to beat Charlotte. It will be huge if it comes down to the wire for that final spot in the CUSA tournament.

Yes

You forget the past, but I do hope the outcome is much better than on 02/17/2018:
"The UTEP men's basketball team paid a visit to the Conference USA championship race Saturday night.

It went about as poorly as it was supposed to, as Old Dominion scored the first seven points, kept the pedal to the floor and sprinted past the Miners 82-33 to stay one-and-a-half games back of Middle Tennessee at the top of the C-USA standings.

This was the second fewest points by UTEP in the modern era; the fewest in the shot-clock era. The all-time low was 27 points against Wyoming in the 1978-79 season." [EPTimes.com]

Offensive Stat Comparison
Stat ODU UTEP
Points/Game 67.8 65.1
Avg Score Margin +7.4 -5.2
Assists/Game 12.9 10.9
Total Rebounds/Gm 39.6 34.2
Effective FG % 49.0% 48.9%
Off Rebound % 30.9% 23.2%
FTA/FGA 0.263 0.390
Turnover % 14.9% 20.6%
Defensive Stat Comparison
Stat ODU UTEP
Opp Points/Game 60.4 70.3
Opp Effective FG % 45.2% 50.4%
Off Rebounds/Gm 10.4 7.3
Def Rebounds/Gm 25.7 24.4
Blocks/Game 4.5 2.7
Steals/Game 5.7 4.8
Personal Fouls/Gm 16.8 19.7
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/matchup/monarchs-miners-2019-01-24
I remember that game well, hard to watch! I have been to the last 3 UTEP @ ODU games, I still wore my UTEP gear loud and Proud!

Looking forward to the game! It will be my first home game of the season since having to relocate for work. Any hot spots around The Don to check out afterward?

Stupid question, not sure if this has changed, but is C-USA only taking the top 12 to Frisco again?

Looking forward to the game! It will be my first home game of the season since having to relocate for work. Any hot spots around The Don to check out afterward?

I like Palomino bar on Cincinnati, or Corralitos for a steak aracherra (sp.)?

Damn must win weekend.

Looking at the standings, if we get swept this weekend, we're gonna need to go on a four game or longer win streak over the next three weeks, and still going to need so much help just to stay at bay C-USA tourney hopes gonna be super bleak if we get swept and will become a real possibility. Anyone see anything different?

Damn must win weekend.

Looking at the standings, if we get swept this weekend, we're gonna need to go on a four game or longer win streak over the next three weeks, and still going to need so much help just to stay at bay C-USA tourney hopes gonna be super bleak if we get swept and will become a real possibility. Anyone see anything different?
Kinda looks like doomsday to me, but I'm still conducting my daily chores with my fingers crossed that suddenly a genie will appear and carry us to the promised land (Frisco).
Hawkins, Lathon, Gilyard and Efe must all show up and be on the floor at game's end.
I unfortunately can't watch tonight, but my hopes and prayers will be

Damn must win weekend.

At this point I rather UTEP not qualify for the CUSA tourney. I felt the same way last season, but we eventually squeak in, only to be one and done. I'm already looking ahead to next season.

At this point I rather UTEP not qualify for the CUSA tourney. I felt the same way last season, but we eventually squeak in, only to be one and done. I'm already looking ahead to next season.
giphy.gif

Def wanna see our guys compete in Frisco, no matter how we sneak in, our freshmen need that experience in the worst way even if its a one game dismissal.

I guess our big hope is getting favorable draws in the pod that could lead to hard fought wins, but winning on the road is not something I see this team doing in February. :(

Reactions: groundrounds
I'm on my way to the game now! I don't know how likely it is, but this is a totally different team than last year so I would like to see revenge for the beating they put on us over there last year and also for that call two years ago that almost started a riot. I still remember how they got on the floor and started taunting the student section then acted all shocked when our fans started throwing stuff at them

ODU is really tough on D in the lane. Its coming down to the basics though: TO's, free throws and layups.

Last edited:
Call me a UTEP honk call me a homer. Call me whatever but I’m effin proud of this team despite this loss.

Having dinner at Italian Kitchen my lady let’s me check the score and we’re down 9 in the second half like I expected, get home tie ball game with a minute left. That’s call building an identity without even watching a single minute, #BlueCollarMentality. ODU is a fine club has one of the best coaches in mid-major hoops and we had no business having a shot to win on paper and it makes me proud to see this club play hard and continue to fight. I expected this team to hit a wall this weekend and kudos to Terry they haven’t quit coaching or giving up on their chances this year despite the lack of depth.

Now that last play call, shoulda had more three point options Terry got schooled by Jones for going to a weakness in crunch time, Jeff Jones knew if Odigie touched in the post off a dribble drive he could double on the block and Efe would fumble it away like he’s done most of the year when a tough double comes off penetration, great design by RT out of the time out with the dribble drive option and shooter in the corner, but Jones was expecting Efe to touch it and had two guys around him from the start of the play and his guys reacted like they were coached to force that turnover as soon as he touched it. Tip your hat Jones on that one.

Great effort, we’re building identities, skilled bigs who have great potential and are still learning, tough defensive team when not in foul trouble, athletic guards, not gonna lay down for anyone at home, just missing depth.

See you guys in the Don Saturday.

That was one of the most horrendous nights of shooting I have ever witnessed, and I mean both teams. We had some very good looks and couldn't knock it down. Missed layups, turnovers, etc....and we were still a shot away from winning. Major props..
I really loved the way Terry rotated players so freely and even got denovick or whatever in there in the first half. Kobe got solid minutes and I think he played well.
I love how the transfers are so into the game and even chant with the crowd.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel....

Got to watch last half and I agree with the team's effort and fight, but don't agree with the feed the ball to Efe over and over strategy to watch him miss layups and lose the ball. No one could throw a pebble into the grand canyon and they were all scared to shoot. No confidence at all.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I watched the game on ESPN+. Both teams struggled some offensively, but both team showed a lot of hustle on defense. I have gotten the impression for the past few seasons that ODU steps up their game for UTEP. Two schools with similar history and style of play that have organically grown into a rivalry. As far as Efe struggling, it looks like teams have him on their radar now and double team him or collapse in on him when he goes inside. Remember, we have three freshmen and a sophomore on the floor a lot this season. They are all showing talent, including Efe. Yes, we are having a poor season, but we are becoming the team that no one wants to lose to, so they try harder against us than others. That's my impression.

I watched the game on ESPN+. Both teams struggled some offensively, but both team showed a lot of hustle on defense. I have gotten the impression for the past few seasons that ODU steps up their game for UTEP. Two schools with similar history and style of play that have organically grown into a rivalry. As far as Efe struggling, it looks like teams have him on their radar now and double team him or collapse in on him when he goes inside. Remember, we have three freshmen and a sophomore on the floor a lot this season. They are all showing talent, including Efe. Yes, we are having a poor season, but we are becoming the team that no one wants to lose to, so they try harder against us than others. That's my impression.
ODU basketball from the get go wanted a rivalry with UTEP. Now to me rivalries are born from regional ying yang rivalry like land grant school vs liberal arts leaning or blue collar vs rich school historically speaking....but hey, ODU toots their horn, UTEP has the hardware.

Last night was definitely one of the ugliest games I have ever seen. Neither team could hit the side of a barn to save their lives. Not all of those missed shots could be attributed to good defense either. Once again, if UTEP could only make a few more free throws, they would have won this game.

This was absolutely a winnable game. Interesting how the cellar dweller can play the 1st place team even while we shoot 20 something %. Unbelievable team shooting effort. Thomas and Kobe we're each 2 for 4. Should have made them our priority targets. Oh well....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT