ADVERTISEMENT

OT: age old question

Cube Jack

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2006
El Paso, TX
Is it better to make the NCAA tournament and lose first round or play in the NIT and win 2 or 3 games? I've seen in the past people years later brag on their "great" team that made the NCAA tournament, but the fans at the time always seem happy to have their team back for a home game in the NIT.

I guess it's like the "Diamond Dave or the Red Rocker" debate. Over time the opinion changes

Is it better to make the NCAA tournament and lose first round or play in the NIT and win 2 or 3 games? I've seen in the past people years later brag on their "great" team that made the NCAA tournament, but the fans at the time always seem happy to have their team back for a home game in the NIT.

I guess it's like the "Diamond Dave or the Red Rocker" debate. Over time the opinion changes
Not even close Diamond Dave.

Red Rocker just celebrated his birthday a few days ago. Apparently he is more of a shrewd businessman more than a rocker. Diamond Dave was a showman through and through.

NCAA is the dance to be seen in even if your Duke and lose to 16 seed. It's allegedly supposed to be the reward for SOS, RPI, W's vs L's and "scope" of the entire season (that's the excuse the committee used for Sooners).

Reactions: Cube Jack
If we’re going all VH with the references, The Tim Floyd era has to be the one day Roth/VH reunion in 1996. Everyone was happy that the “Band was back together”.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody watches the NIT. Teams don't want to play in the NIT. I remember in the nineties one season Georgetown went to the NIT, the next season John Thompson hung the NIT banner in the restroom over the urinal. I think thats how most people think about the NIT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Nobody cares about the NIT. Nobody watches the NIT. Teams don't want to play in the NIT. I remember in the nineties one season Georgetown went to the NIT, the next season John Thompson hung the NIT banner in the restroom over the urinal. I think thats how most people think about the NIT.
I agree, however with the auto bids of small conf that get high seeds and some snubs. I will say there are still better basketball teams in the NIT then some of the NCAA teams.

This was my original question though -- years later everyone remembers and brags about the time that their team went to the NCAA even if they got blasted in the first round, but usually at the time the fans are very happy being in the NIT since they have an opportunity to see their team a few more times and possibly even at a home game. I remember when UTEP played that one game and beat Charles (Bo) Outlaw and Houston. The women have had two big WNIT runs that drew huge attendance.

I think most teams would be excited about making the NIT Final Four, playing in Madison Square Garden. That's a pretty good stage/reward for the last four teams.

I think the prestige of the NIT is higher than it was in the 90s, now that the NCAA is running it. Conference champions are guaranteed an invitation, and the tournament is seeded now (instead of ad-hock matchups after each round for the "sexiest" home team). So at least there's some semblance of merit, now. St. Mary's, although they were snubbed by the NCAA, are guaranteed three home games as long as they win, and then they can make their case in Madison Square Garden that they belonged in the Big Dance. And of course, now we have the CBI and CIT, and in comparison to those, the NIT definitely has some clout.

This was my original question though -- years later everyone remembers and brags about the time that their team went to the NCAA even if they got blasted in the first round, but usually at the time the fans are very happy being in the NIT since they have an opportunity to see their team a few more times and possibly even at a home game. I remember when UTEP played that one game and beat Charles (Bo) Outlaw and Houston. The women have had two big WNIT runs that drew huge attendance.
Tulsa's pretty proud of their NIT championships and they hang the banners proudly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT