ADVERTISEMENT

OT : ALL THINGS SOCCER (-) WC and EURO CUP 😜

What the difference of a guy from El Paso being a Man City fan and being a Yankees fan? I know a guy who is a Celtics, Steelers, Yankees, Notre Dame fan.

I think if you're going to adopt a team in Europe, you're probably going to adopt a powerhouse because of Promotion and Relegation. I dont have have a Favorite team but I follow teams with Americans. Chelsea, Dortmond, Augsburg, etc..

That’s the point I was trying to make. In El Paso, there’s not much around us. Have to choose far away teams. No real difference if the team is in NYC, Omaha, or the West Midlands.

That’s the point I was trying to make. In El Paso, there’s not much around us. Have to choose far away teams. No real difference if the team is in NYC, Omaha, or the West Midlands.
I agree 100%. This “I prefer MLS/Europe” argument is like people arguing music saying underground music is better. There’s 0 validity in any point. It’s YOUR opinion.

What does it matter who anyone likes? You want to like a team from Europe, or some local team who cares as long as you’re happy. You do you.
That’s how I feel. I really only dislike if someone says they like both rivals. Kind of hard to be a fan of the Yankees and Red Sox. Cowboys and Redskins. Etc.

Only exception is you have 2 different kids or family members playing for them at the same time. However, like you said, you do you.

I agree 100%. This “I prefer MLS/Europe” argument is like people arguing music saying underground music is better. There’s 0 validity in any point. It’s YOUR opinion.
It’s okay to prefer one of the other. Who cares.

However, if someone claims that MLS is better than the Premier league or LaLiga that is bullshit. I will call you out on stuff like that.

What the difference of a guy from El Paso being a Man City fan and being a Yankees fan? I know a guy who is a Celtics, Steelers, Yankees, Notre Dame fan.

I think if you're going to adopt a team in Europe, you're probably going to adopt a powerhouse because of Promotion and Relegation. I dont have have a Favorite team but I follow teams with Americans. Chelsea, Dortmond, Augsburg, etc..
Good point. I've never met someone that likes a shitty European team. It's always the powerhouses. Since all my local teams are underdogs, if I did have a favorite European team it would have to be an underdog with everything stacked against them. At this point I'm used to watching my teams lose.

Good point. I've never met someone that likes a shitty European team. It's always the powerhouses. Since all my local teams are underdogs, if I did have a favorite European team it would have to be an underdog with everything stacked against them. At this point I'm used to watching my teams lose.
But who cares? It doesn’t make you a more pure fan of football because you like shitty teams or shitty MLS or your local team.

But who cares? It doesn’t make you a more pure fan of football because you like shitty teams or shitty MLS or your local team.
Imo there will be more joy in supporting your local shitty team decade after decade then one day win a championship, than all the EPL and champions league titles the powerhouse fans experience.

Imo there will be more joy in supporting your local shitty team decade after decade then one day win a championship, than all the EPL and champions league titles the powerhouse fans experience.
Yes IN YOUR OPINION. You sound like those people who say French Cinema is better than Hollywood blockbusters, or the New York Dolls are better than The Beatles.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was in the home end at the Parc Des Prince when Mbappe scored his stoppage time winner vs Real Madrid in the UCL quarterfinals and it was absolute mayhem. You can aregue with me till you’re blue in the face but Austin FC, the fans and MLS/Concacaf will never match that atmosphere in 100 years. It was mayhem. But you do you, enjoy your team and be happy. God bless.

Yes IN YOUR OPINION. You sound like those people who say French Cinema is better than Hollywood blockbusters, or the New York Dolls are better than The Beatles.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was in the home end at the Parc Des Prince when Mbappe scored his stoppage time winner vs Real Madrid in the UCL quarterfinals and it was absolute mayhem. You can aregue with me till you’re blue in the face but Austin FC, the fans and MLS/Concacaf will never match that atmosphere in 100 years. It was mayhem. But you do you, enjoy your team and be happy. God bless.
That's cool. I get to enjoy my team every home game and the occasional road game while you cling on to one of the few memories you have of seen them in person 😉

That's cool. I get to enjoy my team every home game and the occasional road game while you cling on to one of the few memories you have of seen them in person 😉
Believe me, I’m not crying myself to sleep the fact that I’m missing MLS action in person. 😉 I don’t think very many people on this board are envious of you. But if you want to be the super soccer fanatic of Minerdigs you can have that imaginary status.

Poor me. I traveled to France and saw Messi, Mbappe, Neymar, Bale, Veratti, Benzema, Bale, Vinicius, Modric and not Urutti, Stuver, and Finlay… whoever they are.

I usually get into this argument with 2Step and other “season ticket holders” every now and again. Just proves there’s no right way to “fan”.

I have watched MLS since it’s inception and I started watching European soccer when Tim Howard was transferred to ManU. It was slim pickings back then. If you didn’t choose a big club to follow, you would never see their games. Today, you can be a Watford fan and see a good portion of their games. Same with Levante and other smaller teams. There was no ESPN+ or Peacock 20 years ago.

Anyone getting into European teams today, is pretty lucky, as there is more to choose from.

I grew up an a place with no local teams, other than our Liga MX team. I still have a favorite NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB (and none of those teams are even from the same state), and college teams (UTEP surpassed them all after I attended), and I still follow BPL, Serie A, La Liga and MLS.

There is no wrong way to be a fan (looking at you people that only support the reigning champion). I stumbled on La Liga around the time when Valencia won La Liga and Euro Cup and was runner up in Champions League. I made it my team and I have stuck with them ever since. I started following Inter because Roberto Baggio played for them. A documentary about the Hillsborough tragedy made me a Liverpool fan. The Sounders old kit sponsor made like them enough to follow them.

Believe me, I’m not crying myself to sleep the fact that I’m missing MLS action in person. 😉 I don’t think very many people on this board are envious of you. But if you want to be the super soccer fanatic of Minerdigs you can have that imaginary status.
I've never claimed that. I'm not envious of those fans that only get to see their European power house on peacock. I feel more of a connection being able to attend and experience the live atmosphere. I'm by no means a super soccer fanatic. My time is too limited nowadays to sit around and watch teams from another part of the world at odd times of the day. I'm good with my one weekly Austin FC, Locomotive, and Bravos games per week.

Too bad I'll be in SA watching Locomotive instead of in Green Bay this weekend. Kind of interested in becoming a Watford fan.
Bummer man. I’ll be sure to post a bunch of pictures. Nothing better than to take down a proper English breakfast with a former player. Go Hornets!

• Haha
Reactions: JCorona
Some of the best childhood memories I have is watching the Cowboys game with my dad on Sundays. I still remember the first time he took me to watch them in Phoenix and at the first time we went to the old stadium in Irving.

Yeah I get what you're saying. Imo the only difference is that one team is located in my country and in my state. The other is across the world in a place I have no connection to.
As Americans we always want the best and many of us understand that the best soccer in the world isn't played in this country. Maybe one day it can happen but it isn't happening yet. I watch European soccer because of the quality of the product. I also don't shame people that watch the American domestic leagues because they are important for growth of the sport. People like what they like and I respect it.

Reactions: JCorona
As Americans we always want the best and many of us understand that the best soccer in the world isn't played in this country. Maybe one day it can happen but it isn't happening yet. I watch European soccer because of the quality of the product. I also don't shame people that watch the American domestic leagues because they are important for growth of the sport. People like what they like and I respect it.
I agree. The best college players usually play at a P5 school but most of us on here can't stand those universities. It doesn't make us more "pure" fans cuz we prefer UTEP football over Alabama or UTEP basketball over Kansas. In the end all I'm saying is my preference is local products over whatever the best of the world has to offer.

Reactions: picks up
I like those 17 thirds

And I liked the black miner jersey from the CTF era that has disappeared.

Steffen’s game has fallen off dramatically. That last WC qualifying window, he was shaky at best. Did not feel confident with him in the net. Hell it was written in his body language, HE didn’t seem confident.
Do we go with Horvath moving forward? We can't have a goalie with no confidence heading into Qatar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT