ADVERTISEMENT

OT : ALL THINGS SOCCER (-) WC and EURO CUP 😜

I've loved soccer my entire life but I swear this is the most annoying thread on the board.
I told him to start his own ManCity thread. Now it’s basically any goal from ManCity, ManCity lineups, and ManCity news.

Do we really need Luka Modric contact negotiation tweets? Like, who really gives a f about that?

Reactions: JCorona
I told him to start his own ManCity thread. Now it’s basically any goal from ManCity, ManCity lineups, and ManCity news.

Do we really need Luka Modric contact negotiation tweets? Like, who really gives a f about that?
I could understand if there was engagement but literally no one responds cuz no one gives a shit what European teams are doing.

I would love to post all the Austin FC tweets I like but I know no one gives a damn and I rather not spam the board.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I could understand if there was engagement but literally no one responds cuz no one gives a shit what European teams are doing.

I would love to post all the Austin FC tweets I like but I know no one gives a damn and I rather not spam the board.
I’d take any of this over a resuscitated thread from 10 years ago where the new reply adds 0 value.

Agreed. If you or someone else were to start a new thread, it would probably just “confuse” the people that don’t read it. LOL. There should be a thread with concacaf “stuff” and non-locomotive El Paso related, along with golazos. Not lineups from 1 team or scores of “meaningless” games.

At least you’re consistent. Bravo…
If you want to post from other parts of the world go for it. Not my fault most of the world follows European soccer. Not as if Champions League is a minor tournament…or is it to you?

I swear it’s no wonder I met 3 Arsenal fans in college and 2 Chelsea ones because it’s all about Puma and Cruz Azul.

if you want news from other parts of the world (S. America, Asia, Africa, Central America, Middle East) go and post it. Only so much on my twitter feed

Last edited:
I always giggle at those snobby European soccer fans that have never been to London or Manchester but adore those teams. I simply can't support a team I have zero connections to. My teams will always be my original home region of El Paso/Juarez and my current home of Austin.

Give me MLS, USL, and Liga MX over all the European leagues. Give me CONCACAF champions over Champions League. Maybe if one day I move to Madrid I will care about all that European crap.

Most likely not. To me those London and Manchester fans are the equivalent of El Paso Alabama football fans or whatever team is currently winning.

I always giggle at those snobby European soccer fans that have never been to London or Manchester but adore those teams. I simply can't support a team I have zero connections to. My teams will always be my original home region of El Paso/Juarez and my current home of Austin.

Give me MLS, USL, and Liga MX over all the European leagues. Give me CONCACAF champions over Champions League. Maybe if one day I move to Madrid I will care about all that European crap.

Most likely not. To me those London and Manchester fans are the equivalent of El Paso Alabama football fans or whatever team is currently winning.
There’s a difference between snobs and fans of European teams. Snobs call it football, especially if they’re American. Football is NFL and NCAA.

I don’t see a problem with a person “adopting” a team that is far away. Especially with all that is available today. It’s easy to keep up with them via social media and streaming.

I believe you had previously said you grew up very middle class or lower than and that you’re a Cowboys fan. I can only assume you did not attend many Cowboy games growing up. I bet there is a lot of Cowboy fans that grew up in El Paso, without ever attending a game. What difference does it make if the game is played non Dallas or Barcelona?

If you were to stereotype an El Paso sports fan in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, what would they be? Definitely Cowboys, Lakers, and Yankees. I would say a very small percentage of them actually attended 1 game of any of them.

Basically just saying, that distance doesn’t really matter, especially in today’s world. You couldn’t watch every Real Madrid game on TV 10 years ago, you can today.

There’s a difference between snobs and fans of European teams. Snobs call it football, especially if they’re American. Football is NFL and NCAA.

I don’t see a problem with a person “adopting” a team that is far away. Especially with all that is available today. It’s easy to keep up with them via social media and streaming.

I believe you had previously said you grew up very middle class or lower than and that you’re a Cowboys fan. I can only assume you did not attend many Cowboy games growing up. I bet there is a lot of Cowboy fans that grew up in El Paso, without ever attending a game. What difference does it make if the game is played non Dallas or Barcelona?

If you were to stereotype an El Paso sports fan in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, what would they be? Definitely Cowboys, Lakers, and Yankees. I would say a very small percentage of them actually attended 1 game of any of them.

Basically just saying, that distance doesn’t really matter, especially in today’s world. You couldn’t watch every Real Madrid game on TV 10 years ago, you can today.
Some of the best childhood memories I have is watching the Cowboys game with my dad on Sundays. I still remember the first time he took me to watch them in Phoenix and at the first time we went to the old stadium in Irving.

Yeah I get what you're saying. Imo the only difference is that one team is located in my country and in my state. The other is across the world in a place I have no connection to.

Some of the best childhood memories I have is watching the Cowboys game with my dad on Sundays. I still remember the first time he took me to watch them in Phoenix and at the first time we went to the old stadium in Irving.

Yeah I get what you're saying. Imo the only difference is that one team is located in my country and in my state. The other is across the world in a place I have no connection to.
I don’t totally disagree, but you’re defining connection for other people. The same father son connection could happen while watching Real Madrid games. The other thing to be considered, is that most of the worlds best are playing in Europe.

You were watching the best of the best with your dad. You weren’t a kid in Scotland watching the Scottish Claymores and Barcelona Dragons slugging it out. What’s wrong with some kid in Oklahoma watching Real Madrid and Barcelona over Austin FC and NYCFC?

Don't the best American players go play abroad? Isn't there more money in it?

I can't get into the European leagues for the same reason: that I have no connection to those places. But wouldn't you say that the level of play is higher there? If you're just a pure fan of the sport and want to see it played at the highest levels, I can sort of understand adopting a team there to cheer for.

Don't the best American players go play abroad? Isn't there more money in it?

I can't get into the European leagues for the same reason: that I have no connection to those cities. But wouldn't you say that the level of play is higher there? If you're just a pure fan of the sport and want to see it played at the highest levels, I can sort of understand adopting a team there to cheer for.
The best play in Europe period. There are exceptions though.

The level of play is better, but that’s because they have the majority of elite players.

Reactions: kickballpro
What the difference of a guy from El Paso being a Man City fan and being a Yankees fan? I know a guy who is a Celtics, Steelers, Yankees, Notre Dame fan.

I think if you're going to adopt a team in Europe, you're probably going to adopt a powerhouse because of Promotion and Relegation. I dont have have a Favorite team but I follow teams with Americans. Chelsea, Dortmond, Augsburg, etc..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT