ADVERTISEMENT

OT : ALL THINGS SOCCER (-) WC and EURO CUP 😜

MineroFanatico

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 11, 2015
Ok, hopefully the thread, and title, appease both NoWins and randaddy.

This so called USMNT B team is struggling. If Qatar could finish, they’d be up 3 or 4-0.

Did I mention Arriola doesn’t belong on the field right now. His technique has been rendered null and void by Qatar’s speed. It’s like he’s running in quicksand. Put Zardes in with Dike and move Hoppe over to replace Arriola.

Anybody else watching?

I just got in and it was stoppage time so I don't know how it's going
We look baddd. But I guess it’s expected considering who’s not on the field. Only good thing about this is we’ll get a good idea of who will round out the roster for WC qualifying and WC play.

After Qatar missed that pk (that call could have gone either way) USA pushed their lines up and Qatar completely dropped back
Yeah. Was a tale of two halves. How we were on the attack after the PK is what Qatar did to us the first 45.

Good subs by Berghalter. Zardes, Williamson, Roldan and especially Gioachinni all made a difference. Great 2nd half.

I've always liked Zardes, but that goal was all Gioachinni. Keep didn't even know what he was gonna do and then he placed a perfect ball. Dike is injured so I kinda expected that performance

I've always liked Zardes, but that goal was all Gioachinni. Keep didn't even know what he was gonna do and then he placed a perfect ball. Dike is injured so I kinda expected that performance
Agree for the most part. That goal was almost all Gioachinni. Great no look ball. Zardes did fight for the finish.

He will give Steffen and Horvath a run for their money. If little else, US almost always has a plethora of bad azz keepers to choose from.
Turner plays every week. Steffen only plays in meaningless Man City games. Horvath just signed with a Championship team and is not the clear #1. So Turner is a legitimate option for #1

Turner plays every week. Steffen only plays in meaningless Man City games. Horvath just signed with a Championship team and is not the clear #1. So Turner is a legitimate option for #1
Yeah…that’s about what I said. While I think he has played lights out, Turner has by no means secured the spot either.

Horvath played well in the Nations League and was “heroic” in the final. The only reason he even played is because Steffen, who WAS the undisputed number one GK up until that point, was injured.

All 3 have a legit shot.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Qatar is in because CONCACAF changed the format and presumably, Qatar bought their way in. They will also be in 2023 Gold Cup. Copa America usually has guest teams in their tournaments. They even held one of the tournaments here in the US. Not a big deal to have guest teams.

Reactions: kickballpro
Qatar is in because CONCACAF changed the format and presumably, Qatar bought their way in. They will also be in 2023 Gold Cup. Copa America usually has guest teams in their tournaments. They even held one of the tournaments here in the US. Not a big deal to have guest teams.
It’s because CONCACAF partnered with the Asian Football Confederation so that each region has more opportunity to play outside their own region. South Korea has played in the gold cup, too.

Last edited:
Canada playing ok. This ref sucks balls though. He basically scored a goal for Mexico. No way after that last touch was that a pk

The soccer gods are shaking their heads about Mexico PK-ing their way into the final. Two calls that could’ve gone either way.

Seems fitting that one goes Mexico’s way and one Canada’s way.

Reactions: kickballpro
Negatory.

You dis on people who get predictions wrong. You almost never predict.
Wrong. I dis on people who predict “absurd” results. There wasn’t that many OPTs last season because of COVID, but as you can see here, one of the first.

All three teams that moved on from the uswnt group advance to the semis. I know it's old news, but that is pretty interesting. I'm guessing it's gonna be Sweden v USA in the final. I think USA takes it in PK's

That was a crazy game. Canada took it to them. The ref had no control of the game. Mexico v Canada might become a rivalry game after tonight
Canada looked like the better team to me (despite less ball control). They have some really quick players. Mexico just handled the game better.

That 2nd PK was BS. The supposed foul was on the edge of the box with the offensive player headed towards the corner.

To be fair I also thought the Canada goal came after an off-sides

I'm not sure how or why the game was prolonged so long when the game was stopped due to the chant and and extra time was 7 minutes. Seems like the goal was scored around 99 minutes and the game went on for another 3-4 minutes after that. What am I missing?

Canada looked like the better team to me (despite less ball control). They have some really quick players. Mexico just handled the game better.

That 2nd PK was BS. The supposed foul was on the edge of the box with the offensive player headed towards the corner.

To be fair I also thought the Canada goal came after an off-sides

I'm not sure how or why the game was prolonged so long when the game was stopped due to the chant and and extra time was 7 minutes. Seems like the goal was scored around 99 minutes and the game went on for another 3-4 minutes after that. What am I missing?
Exactly. I don't like VAR because of the fact that it takes away from a refs decision making on weather he's gonna change the game or not. Most refs would think "no way am I giving him a complete goal scoring opportunity when he wasn't even going towards goal at the most outer edge of the box".

On the first PK, his last touch was so bad no way he could have gotten to the ball, but in both situations VAR turned two non-goal scoring opportunities and turned them into PKs. Var is good for off sides and that is about it

Reactions: axingfools1
Question for all you connoisseurs of futbol. Even I know that this isn't the US best 11. Why would you not play your best players for a championship? Is it a logistical thing (players not wanting to play or not available)? Or is it a developmental thing? Maybe strategical (saving your best players) for WC qualifiers?

Also, was Qatar using its best team or B team?

Question for all you connoisseurs of futbol. Even I know that this isn't the US best 11. Why would you not play your best players for a championship? Is it a logistical thing (players not wanting to play or not available)? Or is it a developmental thing? Maybe strategical (saving your best players) for WC qualifiers?

Also, was Qatar using its best team or B team?
US sent it’s “best” to the Nations League. You wouldn’t send your best if you want to see other players. A few top players wanted to be with their club teams from the start of training camp and not join so close to the start of their respective seasons.

Because of COVID, some WCQ will have 3 games in a week, instead of 2. So squad rotation is important. So all of that combined, you would want to see as many players as possible. US made the final and this is definitely a “successful” Gold Cup, even if they lose tomorrow.

Yes, this was Qatar’s “A” squad.

Reactions: develman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT