ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Arizona Coyotes

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
I live in Phx and a big story out here is the coyotes want a New arena. They dont like playing in Glendale. They have like 1 year left i think in the contract to play in Glendale. There has been talk of them even moving to maybr Vegas. But i was thinking man it eould be great if El Paso jumped on this. El Paso is building an arena. Hockey does do well in El Paso. I know this wont happened. But it would be nice. If El paso had any chance at a Pro team this would be it.

I've always thought the same thing as well. If there was ever a professional sport that could work here it would be hockey.

Didn't Las Vegas just get a new hockey team? I think this will be their first season.

Yeah you probably right. There has been Canada cities that want the coyotes. But yeah ithink coyotes would be great for El paso. Its a perfect match. They would have a pipeline with the utep team and they would be the main show.

I like the way you think, I always have said El Paso needs to think big.

But what should be annoying to alot of these markets is that these teams want new arenas and stadiums. Its getting ridiculous. The Coyotes have a great arena already. The Diamondbacks want a new stadium. The Redskins want a new stadium.Texas Rangers are getting a new stadium.

I am a Raiders fan and I know they need a new stadium. The NFL decided the 2 teams that needed stadiums the most were the Rams and Chargers and they got the first choice of moving to LA. I did some research on the topic and found out there is a staggering amount of teams that have built at least 2 arena's, ballparks, and stadiums, since the Raiders began play in their current home in Oakland. Too many cities are caving into the wants of owners instead of the needs of the city. I hope Phoenix does not cave into the wants of the Coyotes and Diamondbacks.

The Coyotes are a mess. They stuck Glendale tax payers with a bill for their arena. And they almost stuck Tempe tax payers with a bill for the same thing but the city pulled out.

The sad thing is that Phoenix could build The Coyotes 2 stadiums in less than 15 years. We can't find a location in that same amount of time.

The sad thing is that Phoenix could build The Coyotes 2 stadiums in less than 15 years. We can't find a location in that same amount of time.

Whoa back it up a tad, when I was living in Phoenix they desperately tried to build the new football stadium in Tempe. Problem was the stadium would have been in the flight line of sky harbor airport. Hence, Glendale being the home. My point, duranguito is our sky harbor airport...we're not the only ones who have had to endure delays.

I'm saying that its taken us about 15 years because in the early 2000s there was talk of a stadium being built near Bassett and then the talk was building it at Ascarate. And then the city said, "we need to do a study about downtown" and then it was dead until this last vote.

It don't make sense and I don't know how or why but El Paso is a hockey town.

I remember when the Buzzards won their league championship back in the mid-90's. They had a fairly strong following and had good attendance numbers at the Coliseum.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I live in Chandler now and have been to several Coyotes games. I've seen them play the Blackhawks, Stars, and Kings, and I kid you not, there was more opposing team showing of fans at each game. There's just not much excitement for them amongst the citizens. Plus, much of the population lies in the East Valley suburbs, and Glendale is a good drive. So, their location stinks.

A few years ago I met a couple of guys that played hockey at St. Mary's University in Winona, MN & spent time playing with the El Paso Rhinos. I guess you can play hockey at a Div 3 university after playing semi pro hockey...Go figure.
The point is - they loved playing in front of the fans in El Paso.

I live in Chandler now and have been to several Coyotes games. I've seen them play the Blackhawks, Stars, and Kings, and I kid you not, there was more opposing team showing of fans at each game. There's just not much excitement for them amongst the citizens. Plus, much of the population lies in the East Valley suburbs, and Glendale is a good drive. So, their location stinks.
What do you mean much of the population lives in the east valley? The hockey population? Maricopa county is made up of suburbs so no matter what event you want to go to its going to be a drive. I think I've been to one hockey game so I can't say who has more fans. But the cardinals stadium, which I frequent alot every year, is next door and full of fans for the home team. Maybe it's the product that keeps the fans away.

Under Gary Bettman's watch not only did they lose a whole year because of a lockout but they also lost their TV deal with ESPN. He has to be the worst Commissioner in sports.

What do you mean much of the population lives in the east valley? The hockey population? Maricopa county is made up of suburbs so no matter what event you want to go to its going to be a drive. I think I've been to one hockey game so I can't say who has more fans. But the cardinals stadium, which I frequent alot every year, is next door and full of fans for the home team. Maybe it's the product that keeps the fans away.

Sorry, I think the location sucks. The Cardinals play 8 games a year in UOP Stadium. Not a biggie. The Coyotes play 41 games a year at Gila River. Much of the Phoenix metro area population does reside in Mesa, Chandler, and Gilbert, which for a season ticket holder would be a pain in the butt to drive to Glendale 41 times a season, to watch a terrible product. A move to Tempe (Marina Heights) would have been ideal. Unfortunately, ASU, which owns the land the Coyotes were seeking, pulled out of a proposed land deal located next to Tempe Marketplace.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
WPHL Champs!
Hey Goalie, You Suck!
EP even supported the El Paso Rattlers, who I think were roller hockey.

Since December 2003, the Coyotes have played their home games at Gila River Arena after having spent 7½ seasons at America West Arena (now Talking Stick Resort Arena) in downtown Phoenix. On June 10, 2015, the Glendale City Council voted to end their lease agreement with the Coyotes at Gila River Arena.[3] On July 23, 2015, it was announced that the Coyotes and the Glendale City Council had agreed on a resolution,[4][5] and the next day it was announced that the Coyotes would stay in Glendale for the next two seasons initially.[6]
The Coyotes' original home, America West Arena, was suboptimal for hockey. Although considered a state-of-the-art arena when built for the Phoenix Suns, unlike most modern arenas, it was not designed with a hockey rink in mind. The floor was just barely large enough to fit a standard NHL rink, forcing the Coyotes to hastily re-engineer it to accommodate the 200 foot rink. The configuration left a portion of one end of the upper deck hanging over the boards and ice, obscuring almost a third of the rink and one goal from several sections. As a result, listed capacity had to be cut down from over 18,000 seats to just over 16,000 — the second-smallest in the league at the time — after the first season.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Coyotes
I hope that the arena designers keep that in mind and what is going on over in Brooklyn, NY with the Islanders and the Barclays Center.
As you might have heard, Barclays Center in Brooklyn wasn’t build for hockey. Which is a problem when an NHL team moves there because, like, the arena wasn’t built for hockey.

This has led to some awkwardness in the New York Islanders’ two years there. You have the off-center Jumbotron. You have the seats where fans can’t see two-thirds of the ice. And you have the weird layout of the lower bowl seating, as there’s no fan seating behind one of the goals. Just a gap between a wall and the end boards.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fans-c...s-barclays-center-pickup-truck-185648885.html

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
Well first they were leaving Phoenix. People thought were moving to Houston or Vegas.

It was announced about 3 months ago that they are playing at ASU. It's strange that you're just learning this, considering you live in Phoenix.

It was announced about 3 months ago that they are playing at ASU. It's strange that you're just learning this, considering you live in Phoenix.
I dont really follow hockey and never been to a game. It's too far away. When I started this thread in 2017 I wanted El Paso to place a bid. It's still a possibility I dont think Coyotes will like sharing a arena with a college.

I dont really follow hockey and never been to a game. It's too far away. When I started this thread in 2017 I wanted El Paso to place a bid. It's still a possibility I dont think Coyotes will like sharing a arena with a college.

Too far away? lol Don't you live in Phoenix?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT