ADVERTISEMENT

OT: College Basketball News 2022- '23🏀⛹️

Still not sure what the committee's hard on for the MWC is all about.
The whole year every single bracketology by all the writers had 3 or 4 teams making it. They all have extremely high Net Rankings. SDSU is 14th, Utah St 19th, Boise St 27th, and Nevada is 37th. Compare that with the Big 10, who gets 10 teams in the last 2 years, and thankfully only got 8 this year, and you have your answer. Purdue is 5th, and then every single other team is over 30. Big 10 is the real conference you should complain about.

Only 2 Big 10 schools out of 10, got to the Sweet 16, last year and both lost. Year before same, and only 1 made it to the Sweet 16 and lost. Your question should be: What is the committee's hard on for the Big 10?

Secondly, you should be happy as hell that the MWC gets that kind of respect. If it didn't, the Big 10 would have 13 schools in, instead of 8.

If you look at the Net Rankings:
PAC 12: Only Arizona and UCLA have better Net Rankings than Nevada
CUSA: Only Florida Atlantic, North Texas was 38th.
AAC: Only Memphis and Houston
ACC: Only Duke and Virginia

The Net Rankings are strictly numbers and have no opinions:

Reactions: Lil_Train
Stupid move by UNC. Congratulations on going from "Blue Blood" to "Arrogant Jerk's" within one day. You are not above the NIT, the NIT is an American College Basketball tradition.

Idiots.

How the mighty have fallen.
Outside of Greg Lansing, the other 3 aren’t that bad. Nicholls’ coach is young and the other 2 have been moderately successful for 10 years at their current jobs. This is probably what UTEPs next coaching search will look like. Especially if wins and attendance continue to decline.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
The whole year every single bracketology by all the writers had 3 or 4 teams making it. They all have extremely high Net Rankings. SDSU is 14th, Utah St 19th, Boise St 27th, and Nevada is 37th. Compare that with the Big 10, who gets 10 teams in the last 2 years, and thankfully only got 8 this year, and you have your answer. Purdue is 5th, and then every single other team is over 30. Big 10 is the real conference you should complain about.

Only 2 Big 10 schools out of 10, got to the Sweet 16, last year and both lost. Year before same, and only 1 made it to the Sweet 16 and lost. Your question should be: What is the committee's hard on for the Big 10?

Secondly, you should be happy as hell that the MWC gets that kind of respect. If it didn't, the Big 10 would have 13 schools in, instead of 8.

If you look at the Net Rankings:
PAC 12: Only Arizona and UCLA have better Net Rankings than Nevada
CUSA: Only Florida Atlantic, North Texas was 38th.
AAC: Only Memphis and Houston
ACC: Only Duke and Virginia

The Net Rankings are strictly numbers and have no opinions:
Looking good so far.

Imo playing in the equivalence of a high school gym is embarrassing. We have more embarrassing things to worry about right now than capacity percentage.

Imo playing in the equivalence of a high school gym is embarrassing. We have more embarrassing things to worry about right now than capacity percentage.
Zay is just another “blame the fans” honk. He’s like 16 years old and doesn’t know anything.

What is embarrassing is finishing 10th place in CUSA. UTEP is lucky they even get those 38% in the DHC.

I would rather play in a full “high school gym” than an empty, cavernous arena. UTEP should play 50% of their games at Memorial Gym. Yes, I know it’s not possible, but comes to the point where the game/fan experience would be better there.

Reactions: Minerinciter
Zay is just another “blame the fans” honk. He’s like 16 years old and doesn’t know anything.

What is embarrassing is finishing 10th place in CUSA. UTEP is lucky they even get those 38% in the DHC.

I would rather play in a full “high school gym” than an empty, cavernous arena. UTEP should play 50% of their games at Memorial Gym. Yes, I know it’s not possible, but comes to the point where the game/fan experience would be better there.
You had me until the third paragraph. Utep should just stop accepting losing. The fans will show up. The team/athletic department just needs to step it the F up.

The UNT game for football and the NMSU game for basketball are examples that the fans will show up. The teams are just not worth the support. I agree that they are lucky they are getting 38% of capacity.

Getting to intern at a radio station is a good gig to get. You get in, stick with it and learn you can have a nice career. He does a good job covering high school and UTEP women's. I don't know if he will be the next Kappy, who has endeared himself and developed good contacts across the country, but you never know.

Appeasing, reaching out, networking with UTEP fans at in the media can be like working with Rottweilers, they can be nice and playful then bite a chunk out of your arse the next. Maybe Zay can be El Paso's version of Jim Rome when he gets more experience.

Getting to intern at a radio station is a good gig to get. You get in, stick with it and learn you can have a nice career. He does a good job covering high school and UTEP women's. I don't know if he will be the next Kappy, who has endeared himself and developed good contacts across the country, but you never know.

Appeasing, reaching out, networking with UTEP fans at in the media can be like working with Rottweilers, they can be nice and playful then bite a chunk out of your arse the next. Maybe Zay can be El Paso's version of Jim Rome when he gets more experience.

Kappy is trash. He is a "yes sir" and a horrible talk radio host. He was hired because of nepotism.

That kid is in high school. He has a LONG way to go.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

Whatever. Fan shaming is something ignorant people do when the team is losing. UTEP is bad because of Senter and Bronzeing, not because “only 38%” of the DHC is filled.

FAU was lucky to get 1,000 people for their games. Their coach was able to bring in good players anyway.

You had me until the third paragraph. Utep should just stop accepting losing. The fans will show up. The team/athletic department just needs to step it the F up.

The UNT game for football and the NMSU game for basketball are examples that the fans will show up. The teams are just not worth the support. I agree that they are lucky they are getting 38% of capacity.
Fans will show up when they’re given a reason to. UTEP keeps finding ways to keep them out.

However, you will still have that bunch of people that think buying tickets will magically make the team win. When UTEP hired Floyd and had 8,000 minimum per game, they still didn’t win.

When Price had 45,000 for basically every game in year 2, they still couldn’t even win the West Division of CUSA, let alone the conference or a bowl game.

UTEPs best football wins over the last 40 years have come at home, in front of small crowds, during losing seasons. See Boise this year, the Houston game that Price lovers constantly brought up when others thought he should be replaced, and that BYU game in 1985.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915

Yeah good for the kid. We need young fans so he can be an ambassador in that way... but unfortunately the program needs to be good for young fans to develop. All the other high school kids probably laugh at him for being such a big utep fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT