ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Corona virus Questions

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) -- The El Paso Health Department changed the way it calculates active cases, and that led to a massive drop in that number Wednesday morning.

There are currently 8,152 known active cases, that's 26,166 fewer than Tuesday.

""We're just trying to streamline the system, to make sure the community --as well as everyone on the team here -- has their eyes on the proper data to make recommendations going forward," said Chief Mario D'agostino, the head of El Paso's Emergency Operations.

Previously, the health department would only mark a case as a recovery if they were able to contact the person who was infected and confirm they were symptom free." KVIA.COM

Hey ya'll.
I am in Dallas and getting my 2nd shot today along with my wife. Our friend in EP says vaccines are hard to come by. What's the story over there?

Hey ya'll.
I am in Dallas and getting my 2nd shot today along with my wife. Our friend in EP says vaccines are hard to come by. What's the story over there?
I was vaccinated early on as a healthcare worker. My sister and wife are a healthy 50 and 46 year old school teachers and are waiting their turns.
My dad is a 78 year old Army veteran and is getting his 2nd shot next week through the VA. I have other family that are active duty or customs who haven't been vaccinated.

The city was giving out what shots they had without screening for categories or assigning dates for second shots. Not sure how they are doing now. UMC is registering patients and giving shots. I think pharmacies should be able to start administering soon too.

Where are you and your wife getting your shots? Did you have to register and then wait to be called?

Registered with Dallas County. Shots are at Fair Park. First shots took three hours, but hope they are more streamlined now. It's 27° outside.

Heard on the radio that while the numbers are trending downward virus experts are hoping the jabs in arms reach 3 million per day to fend off more contagious variants. WSJ and other national media are declaring "herd immunity" and early victory too prematurely due to numbers going way down. The British variant spread fast and turned good numbers way back up and England had to back on lockdown.

The vaccines work against variants but getting Americans vaccined asap is critical and experts say push back second doses and get Americans all vaccinated with first jab.

Reactions: Prospero915
J&J may be 75% to 79% efficacy but it is 100% effective against death and hospitilation as their head scientist was announcing on a national news show. J&J has waaaaay more research behind its vaccine compared to Moderna or Pfizer.

Greg Abbot Announcing today that starting next Wednesday, no more masks and businesses may open to 100%.

Greg Abbot Announcing today that starting next Wednesday, no more masks and businesses may open to 100%.
Crazy. No weaning or gradual transition. Just a total 180. I’m guessing public schools will have to follow along. I’m under no illusion that masks provide a complete barrier to the outgoing and incoming aerosol, but if they have truly afforded us any measure of protection, I’m guessing we’ll start to see schools, which amazingly have not been super spreaders up to this point in time, become bigger culprits in the spread of this damned disease.

Crazy. No weaning or gradual transition. Just a total 180. I’m guessing public schools will have to follow along. I’m under no illusion that masks provide a complete barrier to the outgoing and incoming aerosol, but if they have truly afforded us any measure of protection, I’m guessing we’ll start to see schools, which amazingly have not been super spreaders up to this point in time, become bigger culprits in the spread of this damned disease.

Nothing to stop a school district from requiring them for employees or students.

Reactions: kickballpro
Nothing to stop a school district from requiring them for employees or students.
How do you know that? Schools are largely state funded. State funding is gonna = state “liberties” is my guess.

Actually, my guess is that most districts in big cities will continue with mask mandates until it becomes too big of a legal mess. Most districts in smaller cities and towns will follow Abbott and remove the mask mandate. Just my guess.

Last edited:
How do you know that? Schools are largely state funded. State funding is gonna = state “liberties” is my guess.

Actually, my guess is that most districts in big cities will continue with mask mandates until it becomes too big of a legal mess. Most districts in smaller cities and towns will follow Abbott and remove the mask mandate. Just my guess.

It’s not rocket science. I mandate means you have to, unless there’s a mandate saying they’re banned, I’m pretty sure a district could make them part of a uniform. The state mandates a certain amount of classroom time, doesn’t mean a school district can have more time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT