ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cowboys

The game came down to this: Houston has Deandre Hopkins, and Dallas has a bunch of C level receivers. None of them put the fear of God into opposing coaches. Not to mention those 2 picked were the result of missed catches

Reactions: axingfools1
The game was lost when Garrett decided to play it safe in OT. The Cowboys had 2 downs to get a yard and a half. Should never have given the ball back to Watson and the Texans.
As soon as Garrett opted to punt instead of growing a pair and going for it, I had a strong feeling it would be the fatal mistake.

The game was lost when Garrett decided to play it safe in OT. The Cowboys had 2 downs to get a yard and a half. Should never have given the ball back to Watson and the Texans.
As soon as Garrett opted to punt instead of growing a pair and going for it, I had a strong feeling it would be the fatal mistake.

This is the same guy that iced his own kicker vs. Arizona years back.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
This is the same guy that iced his own kicker vs. Arizona years back.

I’m sure he relied heavily on some algorithmic method of data mining to support his hypothesis that icing his kicker, if done with precisely :07 left on the clock, in overtime, on a Sunday evening, while in AZ, would yield results opposite of those brought about by conventional lines of thinking.

Pfft! Gawd, was he wrong.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I'm not sure that some of you actually watch the games objectively, but just parrot the fact that Dak "cannot throw the ball deep". I'm no football expert, but I think he played just fine last night. I thought it was a hell of a game. The Houston D-line is ridiculous and Houston had a nice offensive game plan to get the ball out quick (to almost nulify ours). Hopkins is a beast. Either team could have won. A few bad plays/playcalls here and there hurt. That play that I mentioned above was horrible.
Are you kidding. Houston had won only 1 game all year, and had not won 2 games in a row since 2016. You act like they are one of the best teams in the league. And obviously you are not a football expert if you think Dak had a great game. (1 pass to Beasley when he was covered 1 on 1 all game). Dak had a mediocore game at best.
Again, one lucky long pass down the field on a wild scramble does not make a QB, nor does it prove he can throw deep. Just stay there and keep saying otherwise, like all the delusional Cowboy fans of yesteryear and believe the crap they are putting on the field like Jerry keeps giving you. That is a game you can't lose if you are any type of team. Stop making excuses and call it what it is. Or you will be sorry when they sign Dak to a huge contract that is coming up, and you are stuck with him and his lousy deep ball skills. It will be a revision of the Quincy Carter days all over again.
This sounds like the give Floyd another season argument all over again. Ridiculous on what Cowboy fans settle for nowadays. 2 playoff wins in 20 years, and both wild card games, and they feed you this crap, and you eat it up like Jones wants you too. Sad, very sad.

Eh, I'm a Cowboy fan, but a realist as well. I think Dak played better. He did look like he has promise in being a passer once again. But I'm not overly happy with him either. At this point, I'd rather us get a young QB and hope he develops as I really don't see Dak leading us to a Super Bowl.
Our line sucked. Watt is the best lineman in football, but we couldn't keep 2 guys on him all night? Who was blocking the other side? was anyone actually there? If you can't give your QB protection, get a damn fullback in there to help. Zeke had no impact on this game and that's all on the line.
Can't blame the loss on Garrett's decision to punt alone. I can blame the loss on his crappy coaching the entire game, though.

Are you kidding. Houston had won only 1 game all year, and had not won 2 games in a row since 2016. You act like they are one of the best teams in the league. And obviously you are not a football expert if you think Dak had a great game. (1 pass to Beasley when he was covered 1 on 1 all game). Dak had a mediocore game at best.
Again, one lucky long pass down the field on a wild scramble does not make a QB, nor does it prove he can throw deep. Just stay there and keep saying otherwise, like all the delusional Cowboy fans of yesteryear and believe the crap they are putting on the field like Jerry keeps giving you. That is a game you can't lose if you are any type of team. Stop making excuses and call it what it is. Or you will be sorry when they sign Dak to a huge contract that is coming up, and you are stuck with him and his lousy deep ball skills. It will be a revision of the Quincy Carter days all over again.
This sounds like the give Floyd another season argument all over again. Ridiculous on what Cowboy fans settle for nowadays. 2 playoff wins in 20 years, and both wild card games, and they feed you this crap, and you eat it up like Jones wants you too. Sad, very sad.
No. I said that Dak played "just fine", not great. I also said that Houston's D-line is ridiculous. I didn't say that Houston is one of the best teams in the league. I'm trying to be objective.

I agree that we are mediocre and that our offense could be more exciting. I agree we need to try and use Beasley more. We also need a real threat at WR to help Dak and open up the running game more. Maybe we could have drafted a WR if Lee weren't injured so often. I'm not a big fan of our coach either.

Just because we don't have that WR, or our starting center, or our recently retired HOF TE, or our often injured pro bowl LB, or a suspended Irvin doesn't mean that I'm ok with it. I just don't blame everything on perceiving that Dak can't throw the deep ball. Cowboys have a lot of issues. I'm not sure why you think anybody is settling, but to each his own.

As a lifetime cowboy and UTEP fan I have no other option but to settle for 2 playoff wins in 20 years and no bowl wins in 50+ years. What else am I suppose to do, jump teams?

Is it safe to say the best they’ll do is 9-7 but more than likely be 8-8 and can do no worse than 7-9?

Is it safe to say the best they’ll do is 9-7 but more than likely be 8-8 and can do no worse than 7-9?
I predicted 8-8 with Witten, then when he left, 6-10. 9-7 will most likely win the division this year, and there is no way they are going to do that. I have a ton of money on the over/under wins here in Vegas at under 8.5. I knew if Witten left, he knew this team was not going to make the playoffs, or else he would have stayed, especially the way he left.
The Cowboys have too many holes to fill as Jones has just let them sink deeper and deeper. Don't see any changes for a long time and if they do not draft a QB, you might as well not even bother to watch them at all.
As for the Browns, they may get more wins than the Cowboys this year. Mayfield plays the first 2 games, they may have those as wins as well.

Everything's going right today.

As bad as the Cowboys have been (today notwithstanding), they're only a half-game behind in the East, with a shot to take the top spot from the Redskins next week.

9 wins might be enough to win the East this year. The East is really bad...

Looks like Dallas is looking at Amari Cooper. The Raiders want a 1st round pick for Cooper, and I sure hope Jerry doesn't fall for it. Cooper has disappeared the past season and a half and is worth at 4th or 5th round pick at best.

Everything's going right today.

As bad as the Cowboys have been (today notwithstanding), they're only a half-game behind in the East, with a shot to take the top spot from the Redskins next week.

9 wins might be enough to win the East this year. The East is really bad...

Are we watching the same game? They look mediocre at best other than the blown deadskin coverage for Dallas TD. Washington can't sustain a hemmorage if they wanted.

Man its frustrating. Between the Miners and the Cowboys the penalties and the turnovers are making me more grey by the minute. Losing by one score makes it worse.

Reactions: miner1liner
In addition to being a pussy, he is a dumbass for being such a “smart” guy. Great coaching job. 1st and 10 with 52 seconds left and a time out and you only run 2 more plays. What knucklehead!

Whenever he plays for the tie, the Boys end up losing. Guess I’m not surprised he hasn’t figured that out yet.

#growapairgarrett

Reactions: unihorn and EPTUTEP
Such a great week when the Cowboys lose especially to the Redskins. HTTR!

It all goes back to not being able to throw deep, and therefore the running game is non existent. Extremely poor coaching is another part. If the defense was not as good as they are, they would be a lot worse.
Dallas can add every all pro receiver in the league, and if you can't throw the ball to him, what does it matter.
Dallas only had 6 completed passes over 10 yards. You can't win many games like that.

Looks like Dallas is looking at Amari Cooper. The Raiders want a 1st round pick for Cooper, and I sure hope Jerry doesn't fall for it. Cooper has disappeared the past season and a half and is worth at 4th or 5th round pick at best.
Of course the Cowboys gave up a first, and their future on a guy that is at best a worth a 4th. They wouldn't be the Cowboys if they didn't do stupid things like that.
from Cowboys perspective......saying that a 4th or 5th would have been a good haul for Raiders but that Jones' plays fantasy football with the team. Dak Prescott is not their franchise QB of the future, and until the Cowboys realize this, they will never be better than a mediocore team at best. The Cowboys could have every single All pro WR in the league on their team, and Dak could not get the ball to them unless it is a 5 yd route. What they should have done is gone out and got a TE, because that is what he needs.

Jerry felt our offensive woes were because we don't have a big time receiver. So, no matter what we all know, he doesn't care and would pay any price to get a name receiver. Who cares if our QB can't throw the ball. That's irrelevant.

Reactions: Rocketsr
We needed to draft a WR in the 1st rd this year. We missed in the off season trade market as well. Cooper is a 24 yr old 2x All Pro that was the Biletnikoff winner in college and a #4 overall draft pick. If he helps Dak and our offense and we win, then its all worth it.

And for all you cowboy fan Dak haters...this will also help the cowboys evaluate Dak (with more weapons) for the long term as well.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
We needed to draft a WR in the 1st rd this year. We missed in the off season trade market as well. Cooper is a 24 yr old 2x All Pro that was the Biletnikoff winner in college and a #4 overall draft pick. If he helps Dak and our offense and we win, then its all worth it.

And for all you cowboy fan Dak haters...this will also help the cowboys evaluate Dak (with more weapons) for the long term as well.
These are the exact quotes that are in the only ESPN article that is trying to explain this from Dallas's perspective. That is where you got this. And believe me, you had to do a lot of digging to find someone subjective that had anything remotely good to say about this.
It is not a good signing because you gave up a number 1 for half a year, and next year at 14 million as an option year. (On top of that, is he playing like a number 1 with a good QB in Oakland? He is playing like a 4th rounder.) That is it. You basically have a guy for a year and a half. There is no way you can see that as good. And on the flip side, if he does not help the offense, then it is even more of a horrendous signing. Might have well kept Dez Bryant if you were going to do this kind of crap. It would have been exactly the same thing.
I tell you, Dallas is able to do this kind of crap year after year because they have fans that will go off a cliff with them. It is called the Jerry Syndrome, which is directly related to the Floyd Syndrome.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966

Working to catch that ball in critical situations and earn my keep.

Last edited:
These are the exact quotes that are in the only ESPN article that is trying to explain this from Dallas's perspective. That is where you got this. And believe me, you had to do a lot of digging to find someone subjective that had anything remotely good to say about this.
It is not a good signing because you gave up a number 1 for half a year, and next year at 14 million as an option year. (On top of that, is he playing like a number 1 with a good QB in Oakland? He is playing like a 4th rounder.) That is it. You basically have a guy for a year and a half. There is no way you can see that as good. And on the flip side, if he does not help the offense, then it is even more of a horrendous signing. Might have well kept Dez Bryant if you were going to do this kind of crap. It would have been exactly the same thing.
I tell you, Dallas is able to do this kind of crap year after year because they have fans that will go off a cliff with them. It is called the Jerry Syndrome, which is directly related to the Floyd Syndrome.

Is this the article you are referring too?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-trade-amari-cooper-oakland-raiders-2018-nfl

or maybe this one?

http://espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys...committee-was-a-mistake-hope-cooper-is-a-no-1

As far as your claims that I made direct quotes from an ESPN article....I hadn't read either one, but they are both interesting and the 1st one reiterates our thoughts that Dak needs be re-evaluated for the future. I got my info on Cooper from wikipedia. His numbers and his awards were better than I thought. I have also read some other interesting stuff like he was the only receiver with a 200 yd game last year, that he has the best seperation of any NFL receiver and that he has had trouble with drops.

The money does concern me too, but being that he is a young pro bowl player, he may have a bunch of good years left on the right team.

Prescott is a better QB than Carr. Check their numbers (specifically their career QBR on NFL.com and their QBRs two years ago when they both had big seasons).

Are you comparing the Cowboys ownership to the handling of Miner basketball? Am I supposed to stop being a fan until Jones dies and then jump back on? I too am not happy the cowboys are losing games, haven't won anything in more the 25 years and keep the same coach for so long.

I professed my displeasure with Floyd and Stull on this site many times. I have also disclosed what I did about it.

One last thing. Are you even a cowboys fan? I ask because you keep writing "you" when referring to cowboys fans. If you are then I enjoy the OT conversation and I will always try to be as objective as possible.

Axingfools asked:
One last thing. Are you even a cowboys fan? I ask because you keep writing "you" when referring to cowboys fans. If you are then I enjoy the OT conversation and I will always try to be as objective as possible.[/QUOTE]

I have been a Cowboys fan since I was 5 years old. I was one when Roger Staubach was QB. So, yes, and have suffered with too many of Jerry"s idiotic decisions. (Do you know he insulted his son when they did not get Johnny Manziel and instead got Zach Martin) Thank God for his son at least being slightly reasonable.
Dallas would have won many more Super Bowls if it was not for Jerry's ego and firing Jimmy Johnson because Jerry wanted to take all the credit. Now as the GM , he has run the team into the ground. Parcells even said, as soon as I leave, give it 2 years and the team will be right back where they were. Remember, Dak was not the QB they wanted, they wanted Paxton Lynch, who is not even in the league.
Again, the problem with Cooper is that he is in his last year of his contact, and his option year is close to 14 million. So, yes Corona, they could have gotten someone better in the draft as Cooper has not lived up to potential, and we would be paying them around 400,000 for 4 years. I don't care how old Cooper is, he is like a DeLorean, huge hype and 2 years later was a shell of what it was supposed to be. (maybe not that bad, but you understand my analogy)
The issue is not the receiver core, as everyone will see. When Dak cannot hit Cooper past 5 yds, since they may be dumb enough to put him in the slot, Dak will be fully exposed. Then this was really a huge loss as we do not have a number 1 next year to take a QB. Jerry will never admit his mistake, so we are stuck with Dak most likely for a long time to come. (at least we don't have to pay him for another year as he is still on his rookie contract)
I have not stopped being a fan, but had to stop watching the Quincy Carter days until he was no longer the QB, and if this keeps up, I may not watch until Dak is no longer the QB either. I am no fair weather fan, as I was there when Aikman only won 1 game, but at least I knew they were on the right track.
As the references to Floyd and Jones, is that I am at the point where I can't settle for this crap anymore. And I am tired of them feeding me the same thing over and over and I am supposed to wave my Dallas Cowboy flag and smile like Garrett on the sideline and clap.

Getting rid of Garrett is going to do nothing for the team because Jerry is the coach. He wants a puppet, and nobody else to make personnel decisions (his son does have input). I know it sounds stupid, but Tony Romo is a genius. Have you ever heard him do a game. He knows what is coming beforehand. He kept yelling at Garrett when they did not move the ball closer and were settling at 47 yards. He used to change the plays in the huddle, and most likely would have changed it then, and they would have been kicking a 30 yarder instead of 47, which ended up 52. Romo is the only guy that could get away with not being a puppet of Jerry Jones, and would be a great coach. Lee, would be a great defensive coordinator. No one else of quality is going to become the coach because of Jones., who will fight them on every turn.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT