MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
When AAC poaches CUSA..

I like
Coastal Carolina
Georgia St
NMSU
GCU (Basketball only)

NMSU is a no brainer for us and the other Texas schools that don't jump ship, don't know how much they contribute football wise though. I would like Texas St. to get an invite.

Coastal Carolina might get to the AAC on their own. The SBC could be poaching CUSA. CUSA has a shitty TV contract and the days of CUSA being a step up from the SBC are over.

NMSU and GCU won’t be in CUSA.

Reactions: kickballpro
It all depends on what American does. If they want to get back to 12 and poach the two best programs from SB and CUSA then things will get interesting. At that point CUSA would be at 12 and not have a need to expand. SB at 8 might want a few members but would anyone in CUSA bite?

If AAC takes four programs from CUSA then the SB will easily take what they want of what's left.

I favor UD list but you never know what the commish and college presidents are thinking?

UAB​

Birmingham is one of the great college football cities in the country, which gives UAB a great media foothold. Add their recent on-field success and investments in facilities and no team makes more sense for the AAC than UAB.

Appalachian State​

Make no mistake, App State deserves a long look from the AAC. Their on-field success is almost unmatched outside of the AAC, and despite their rural location, they have a large fanbase.

FAU​

If you’re directly aiming to replace UCF, why not pick FAU? This South Florida team has a nice on-campus stadium, recent success, and great access to recruits for the conference.

San Diego State​

If the AAC isn’t tied to regional schools, San Diego State makes a ton of sense. They offer access to Southern California, they have a new stadium, and they’re in one of the countries largest media markets.

UTSA​

Rice probably won’t be in play to replace Houston, but UTSA makes some sense. They are also in a Texas city, San Antonio, but instead of bringing a ton of history, they’re a program on the rise. They could be a wild card for the conference.

"Coastal Carolina

The Chanticleers are a very young program, and they’ve only just now found success. However, Coastal Carolina showed that they’re a media darling who is receiving investments in their program’s facilities.

Georgia State

Undeniably, Georgia State’s on-field product has been a disaster. Still, their location in Atlanta is almost too perfect not to even take a look at the Panthers.

At the end of the day, this is all guesswork. There is no actual proof that any of these teams are interested in the AAC, or vice versa. These are simply a handful of the teams who make some sense to fit the gaps being left in the AAC."

UAB is a no brainer to me: Location, great medical university literally keeping anti Covid vax Alabamians alive as rural folks get sent there, great venue, solid revenue programs that can immediately compete (Memphis will not be thrilled but screw'em), and a fan base re-energized after closing football program. How can AAC not take UAB?

Surprise! Surprise! Georgia State. Interesting scenario but they bring nothing to snooty AAC.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/202...n-athletic-conference-realignment-mike-aresco

Look for ODU to be bribing their way in. Vaseline included.

Coastal should be considered for AAC. Their only con is small stadium/attendance. This past weekend against Kansas they had a record crowd of 17k. Still about 4k short of a sellout.

The AAC staying in their geographical footprint is horrible for us. It means the MWC stays pat and probably the best outcome is that the SB/CUSA remnants realign geographically. So, maybe we end up in a Texas/Louisiana/Arkansas based conference. At worst, we're still travelling to Norfolk in a watered down CUSA.

Coastal's endowment is a whopping $54.7 million, their football stadium has a capacity of 20,000, and their arena holds 3,600. They have had some impressive success recently, but is the American willing to bet on Coastal sustaining this success? With the resources that they have?

I would think Marshall is more of a known quality with better facilities. Nobody's been talking about them.

Coastal's endowment is a whopping $54.7 million, their football stadium has a capacity of 20,000, and their arena holds 3,600. They have had some impressive success recently, but is the American willing to bet on Coastal sustaining this success? With the resources that they have?

I would think Marshall is more of a known quality with better facilities. Nobody's been talking about them.
Spot on. Appy State, Marshall, UAB and even Georgia State. Heck, I think UAB and Marshall are better fits in the Big XII than BYU. If I was in a back alley in south Chicago I'd feel safe with two frat boys from Marshall or UAB then two offensive lineman from BYU. Marshall and UAB wouldn't ditch you and offer you up as collateral.

Coastal should be considered for AAC. Their only con is small stadium/attendance. This past weekend against Kansas they had a record crowd of 17k. Still about 4k short of a sellout.
I live in Myrtle Beach and it has an aging, East Coast (NY, NJ, Conn, etc.) transplant population and no loyalty to home school (generally). Their gym is small as well in basketball. They do have a great baseball team and pretty good golf team which would be nice for us.

the sad thing about this is that UTEP is not on anybody's radar and can only sit and watch other schools pass us by....as someone posted, we're only in rear view mirrors. I don't know what it will take - other than just win baby - but dang it's frustrating.

the sad thing about this is that UTEP is not on anybody's radar and can only sit and watch other schools pass us by....as someone posted, we're only in rear view mirrors. I don't know what it will take - other than just win baby - but dang it's frustrating.
Upgrade the facilities, not just the revenue producers (DHC and Sun🌞 Bowl🏈).

If Utep wins they will come. Any city that Sells out a scrimmage, can get 35 to 40 for a winning team.

If Utep wins they will come. Any city that Sells out a scrimmage, can get 35 to 40 for a winning team.
Selling out a Dallas Cowboys scrimmage 25 years ago has nothing to do with UTEP.

The Miners aren’t getting 40 without a really good team, good opponents, and good marketing. That has a mega slim chance of happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT