ADVERTISEMENT

OT: CUSA has a new commish!

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
"After a national search conducted by the international search firm Korn Ferry, the Conference USA Board of Directors Chair and Old Dominion president John R. Broderick announced the unanimous selection of Judy MacLeod as the third commissioner of Conference USA. With her appointment, she becomes the first female commissioner of a Football Bowl Subdivision athletics conference."

http://www.wbko.com/content/sports/MacLeod-named-CUSA-commissioner-337158831.html

I wish her well and hope she does a good job. This league is not the same CUSA as a few years back. I doubt it will ever be the same CUSA as before, but I just hope this league doesn't get any worse.

I wanted the old WAC Commish Karl Benson! Ha ha.

Boy that dude left a wake of upheaval. One great bright spot Stull did for UTEP was the capital improvements to athletics to help UTEP get the hell out of there and into CUSA.

Boy that dude left a wake of upheaval. One great bright spot Stull did for UTEP was the capital improvements to athletics to help UTEP get the hell out of there and into CUSA.

I'm not sure what her first order of business is, but I'm guessing it's A. Improved broadcasting rights. B. Better bowl alliance. I don't think she needs to worry about the MWC poaching any of the CUSA's schools. I thought UTEP would be likely given Hawaii's program dangling by a loose thread (firing Chow isn't even a short term fix). But the season they're having isn't helping.

Thoughts?

Bowl tie in's are pretty good actually. A) Basketball B)Basketball C)Making sure all institutions run a clean program.

CUSA is losing some damn good revenue with being a one bid school. Most CUSA coaches are doing their part lining up major schools for OOC play. Need to do some PR work and show how far CUSA has come since Memphis left. CUSA was definitely a two bead team last year and ODU got shafted (But then again ODU lost conference games they should have won which weakened their case).

Tyndell left one hell of a mess at USM and hats off to Coach Sadler for accepting and cleaning up that massive mess. Tyndell is at some southeast Christian college who hired him two weeks ago as a volunteer staff member. It's no secret to Miner fans how fast and hard the NCAA can be on mid major basketball programs.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
I'm not sure what her first order of business is, but I'm guessing it's A. Improved broadcasting rights. B. Better bowl alliance. I don't think she needs to worry about the MWC poaching any of the CUSA's schools. I thought UTEP would be likely given Hawaii's program dangling by a loose thread (firing Chow isn't even a short term fix). But the season they're having isn't helping.

Thoughts?

She's in a tough spot. The new tv deal will like be worth half what the current deal is worth. She needs to push the member institutions to further invest in football facilities and budgets. That is the only thing that will keep us in shouting distance of the MWC and AAC. Its inevitable the AAC will get poached by the big 12. CUSA will lose schools the AAC. The problem is there are only crap replacements available. Hopefully we are out of here before this league is watered down further. As for Hawaii they are in a financial fix. Their only option is to hire June Jones back he's the greatest coach in program history and a great fundraiser.

I'm telling you man, nothing like a new rivalry between S. Alabama or Arkansas State (even thought they'd probably slobber knock UTEP at this point). Chi and Epi will form a.......never mind, I'll be nice.

If that's the case, UTEP needs to get the hell of out of CUSA pronto.

She's in a tough spot. The new tv deal will like be worth half what the current deal is worth. She needs to push the member institutions to further invest in football facilities and budgets. That is the only thing that will keep us in shouting distance of the MWC and AAC. Its inevitable the AAC will get poached by the big 12. CUSA will lose schools the AAC. The problem is there are only crap replacements available. Hopefully we are out of here before this league is watered down further. As for Hawaii they are in a financial fix. Their only option is to hire June Jones back he's the greatest coach in program history and a great fundraiser.

Hawaii got over for years not investing in their facilities and it ended when Jones got tired of complaining about it. Recruiting to the island is one thing, but sealing the deal requires some top notch facilities. I went through there many years ago and from what I was told by a few players that have come and gone through that program they are still the same. That program is important to the locals but unfortunately it wasn't to the Administrative staff.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 12 does poach a few AAC schools. They'll want to strengthen their conference and like you said, the pickings will get slimmer. The UTEP Miner name recognition in CUSA is strong. If the W/L record was better they'd be ideal for poaching (Sun Bowl), but so far it doesn't look that way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT