ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FC Juarez Bravos

There’s already been a ton of backlash and the top German teams aren’t joining. Still a long way to go.
PSG also declined. But UEFA and these teams seems to be playing a high stakes game of chicken, I wonder who’s going to break first.

These teams seem to be driven by money, which I get since this guarantees them mega money year in and year out without the risk of failing to qualify. They had to know they were going to get all kinds of crap and they’re probably prepared to continue and get this done.

Don't really know what all the backlash is about but then again I don't care for European soccer. I have a lot of friends who are diehard Manchester and Barcelona fans but have never stepped foot in either city. Can't relate. I only waste my time with clubs I have a connection to.

Reactions: axingfools1
Classic case of why the Ameican model doesn't work in Europe and why the European model doesn't work here. This is fueled by the American owners in EPL who want and American style system because its way more profitable. Ultimately I don't think you will ever see the Super league. Just like in America you will never see promotion/relegation system for any sport.

Don't really know what all the backlash is about but then again I don't care for European soccer. I have a lot of friends who are diehard Manchester and Barcelona fans but have never stepped foot in either city. Can't relate. I only waste my time with clubs I have a connection to.
It would be like if Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, UNC, Indiana, and some “undeserving” schools like Texas, USC, and Alabama decided to make their own NCAA tournament. They would be in the tournament every year, no matter their record.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Classic case of why the Ameican model doesn't work in Europe and why the European model doesn't work here. This is fueled by the American owners in EPL who want and American style system because its way more profitable. Ultimately I don't think you will ever see the Super league. Just like in America you will never see promotion/relegation system for any sport.
Out of the 12 teams, can you list how many have American owners?

It’s going to happen. Contracts have already been signed.

It would be like if Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, UNC, Indiana, and some “undeserving” schools like Texas, USC, and Alabama decided to make their own NCAA tournament. They would be in the tournament every year, no matter their record.
That doesn't make sense cuz Texas, USC and Alabama all deserved to be in.

That doesn't make sense cuz Texas, USC and Alabama all deserved to be in.
I’m not talking about just this year, I’m talking about forever. Texas, USC, and Bama don’t have the same basketball programs as the others. They just have money.

There’s teams in the SuperLeague that just have money and don’t have the titles like the others do.

I’m not talking about just this year, I’m talking about forever. Texas, USC, and Bama don’t have the same basketball programs as the others. They just have money.

There’s teams in the SuperLeague that just have money and don’t have the titles like the others do.
I still don't see a problem with it. It's as if the best P5 teams based on results and tv viewership breaked off and formed a super p5. It sucks for the teams not involved but why wouldn't the fans of the teams involved not want that?

Out of the 12 teams, can you list how many have American owners?

It’s going to happen. Contracts have already been signed.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham all have American owners.

Chelsea is owned by a Russian but ran by an American.

I don't think any of the of the clubs outside England are owned by an American. However, it's seems like from the reports John Henry (Liverpool) Malcolm Glazier (Man U) and Stan kronke (Arsenal) all of whom are American have been the Architects of this plan. I'm sure they were instrumental in getting JP Morgan to finance this thing. The Super league is certainly modeled after the American sports system.

I still don't see a problem with it. It's as if the best P5 teams based on results and tv viewership breaked off and formed a super p5. It sucks for the teams not involved but why wouldn't the fans of the team involved not want that?
Surprisingly, no. The reaction to this has been overwhelmingly negative.

If you don’t see a problem with it, schools like Houston, San Diego St, Wichita St, UTEP, and even P5 teams like Vanderbilt, Mississippi, Georgetown and other big names would be excluded because of money.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham all have American owners.

Chelsea is owned by a Russian but ran by an American.

I don't think any of the of the clubs outside England are owned by an American. However, it's seems like from the reports John Henry (Liverpool) Malcolm Glazier (Man U) and Stan kronke (Arsenal) all of whom are American have been the Architects of this plan. I'm sure they were instrumental in getting JP Morgan to finance this thing. The Super league is certainly modeled after the American sports system.
So the 1/3 of American owners are telling the other 2/3 what to do? Depending on who the other 3 teams are, the % of Americans goes down further, but they’re calling the shots??

If you don’t see a problem with it, schools like Houston, San Diego St, Wichita St, UTEP, and even P5 teams like Vanderbilt, Mississippi, Georgetown and other big names would be excluded because of money.

The P5 will break off eventually. It will be for all sports. Houston will probably be included in the final g5 iteration.

In football we already are. We get scraps compared to the P5. Basketball is almost the same since the tournament is loaded with power teams.

How many times has a team not in the super league won the title?

In soccer you need money to be competitive. There aren't that many Cinderella stories.

So the 1/3 of American owners are telling the other 2/3 what to do? Depending on who the other 3 teams are, the % of Americans goes down further, but they’re calling the shots??

Undoubtedly. They're the richest owners outside Man City. They have the financial connections. The other clubs coming along are from Italy who clubs have always faced financial hardships and ruin, and Spain. The Spanish clubs aren't as financially threatened like the Italian clubs, however they have their own financial issues. It's always been a controversy in Spain that Barcelona and Real Madrid often get loans from Spanish banks and don't pay them back. The banks turn a blind eye because they don't want the backlash of crippling one of the great soccer powers of Europe. This shores up thier finances and makes the clubs and owners even wealthier. Make no mistake the Super league is a plan hatched by Americans, led by Americans, modeled after the American system, financed with American money.

In football we already are. We get scraps compared to the P5. Basketball is almost the same since the tournament is loaded with power teams.

How many times has a team not in the super league won the title?

In soccer you need money to be competitive. There aren't that many Cinderella stories.
Lots. Ajax has been in the title game and won more than 7 of the Super League teams.

This pretty much relegates any Cinderella seasons to a soccer NIT.

I like this example. Imagine Yale, Alabama, Princeton, Nortre Dame, Michigan, USC, Harvard, Ohio St., Oklahoma, Minnesota, Miami, Nebraska (teams with most NCAA Football Championships, but some of them stink right now), plus three more teams (say Texas, Clemson, and Florida). They go and form their own league, where there is no playoff system, no title game, best record wins it all. They pick another five different teams each year to join them in the league. Team with the best record wins the title, team with the worst record will never be invited back in, but the first 12 teams I mentioned will always participate because they formed the league.

It would never work here, but that's how drastic a change from the norm the Super League is proposing. If baseball followed the current European model, the Chihuahuas have a shot to win the World Series, if they invest in their organization and develop star players and that one Cinderella season (however unlikely) can transform that franchise for generations. If the Super League goes through, then 90-95% of the football clubs in Europe are eliminated from having a shot to win it all.

Manchester City played in the 2nd division (now championship) in 2001-02. Now they have money and are considered elite.

La Liga teams had a lot riding on this league as well. If reports are too be believed Barca is facing serious financial issues due to COVID. Real Madrid was probably banking on all that money funding another Galacito style transfer spree.

La Liga teams had a lot riding on this league as well. If reports are too be believed Barca is facing serious financial issues due to COVID. Real Madrid was probably banking on all that money funding another Galacito style transfer spree.
Here’s the thing though, Barca and the other super teams aren’t the only ones impacted by COVID. It’s universal. Selfish of them to think they’re the only ones. Especially when they’re the ones who drive up transfer prices for everyone else.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106

Here’s the thing though, Barca and the other super teams aren’t the only ones impacted by COVID. It’s universal. Selfish of them to think they’re the only ones. Especially when they’re the ones who drive up transfer prices for everyone else.

Barca is allegedly almost 2 BILLION in the hole while it's best player is making 150 million a year. Real Madrid is also allegedly deep in the red. Spain's economy never rebounded from the 2008 financial crisis. I don't get how these teams don't trigger the FIFA Fair Play penalties for being in so much debt. These teams are borrowing billions to to make 100s of millions. Only 1 team wins the Champions League and gets to break even, everyone else just piles on more debt.

Kind of like UT's championship in 2005, I remember reading something about UT only making less than 20 million after covering all its expenses.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Barca is allegedly almost 2 BILLION in the hole while it's best player is making 150 million a year. Real Madrid is also allegedly deep in the red. Spain's economy never rebounded from the 2008 financial crisis. I don't get how these teams don't trigger the FIFA Fair Play penalties for being in so much debt. These teams are borrowing billions to to make 100s of millions. Only 1 team wins the Champions League and gets to break even, everyone else just piles on more debt.

Kind of like UT's championship in 2005, I remember reading something about UT only making less than 20 million after covering all its expenses.
That FIFA fair play is the biggest crock of sh*t. City beat the charges last year and that was only instituted to stop another oil country from buying a team and spending millions upon millions to overhaul a team a la City or PSG and they’re probably the only clubs built to weather the pandemic since they are owned by oil rich countries. If Barca and Real are in that much trouble well that’s on them, and I’m glad this Super League is dead before it even got off the ground.

That’s kinda like your rich boss complaining he didn’t the color of a fully loaded BMW he wanted.
Yup. This reeked of the rich wanting to consolidate their hold on power and thus making it near impossible for any other club to get a seat at the table. Unfortunately College Athletics is the complete opposite. It’s damn near impossible to win a title unless you’re a major program, especially in football.

Yup. This reeked of the rich wanting to consolidate their hold on power and thus making it near impossible for any other club to get a seat at the table. Unfortunately College Athletics is the complete opposite. It’s damn near impossible to win a title unless you’re a major program, especially in football.
While it’s close to impossible for UTEP to win a football natty, there’s a small chance. Houston and AAC teams have better chances, but they’re not entirely excluded like this Super League would have done.

Reactions: kickballpro
The Bravos made a HUGE MISTAKE, but I mean HUGE by not keeping Uruguayan forward Diego Rolan on the Squad. As far as I know, after his loan to Bravos had expired Deportivo La Coruña which owns Rolan wanted 4 million USD if Bravos wanted to buy him, but Bravos was only willing to pay 3 million and they couldn't come to an agreement. So there you go.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT