ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gas Prices

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
It has reached over $4 here in AZ. I've seen as high as $4.15. Sam's is at $3.95.

It's Austin it's around 3.50 but I've seen it as high as 3.79. I'm in Houston right now and I expected gas to be a little lower but it's in the same range.

I was in San Antonio last week, saw one gas station at $2.99. I was shocked.

You misspelled "Vladimir." Joe is working to keep prices in check as much as possible.
Well MAYBE he shouldn't have stopped oil production in the US when he took office? NOW he's concerned? We were buying 600 THOUSAND barrels a day from Russia before the war started. Yanno, there's a LOT of oil in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Alaska.
Tapping into the reserve because you screwed up isn't why we have a reserve.
I bet if JOE had to actually BUY his own gas, he just might view it differently.
I am all for conservation, but cutting off your feet just so you don't have footprints in the sand is dumb. He wanted to make a point and show he was green earth kinda dude. Horrible move.....and here we are....

Well MAYBE he shouldn't have stopped oil production in the US when he took office? NOW he's concerned? We were buying 600 THOUSAND barrels a day from Russia before the war started. Yanno, there's a LOT of oil in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Alaska.
Tapping into the reserve because you screwed up isn't why we have a reserve.
I bet if JOE had to actually BUY his own gas, he just might view it differently.
I am all for conservation, but cutting off your feet just so you don't have footprints in the sand is dumb. He wanted to make a point and show he was green earth kinda dude. Horrible move.....and here we are....
You like facts, right? During Trump's presidency in 2020 USA averaged 538,000 barrels a day from Russia. In 2021 during Biden's it went down to 209,000. Interesting....

Reactions: TxRdKiller
You like facts, right? During Trump's presidency in 2020 USA averaged 538,000 barrels a day from Russia. In 2021 during Biden's it went down to 209,000. Interesting....
Well if you want to talk facts, let's try this. When little joe shut down the building of the pipeline from Canada, our crude oil supply took a direct hit. The completion of that pipeline would have saved millions in transportation costs, not to mention he eliminated many jobs in the process. Under his watch, our dependence on foreign crude has become out of control, while costing us more money to obtain. Our dependence on countries in Europe is staggering. The 600 number was incorrect. It is closer to 670 but it's crude oil AND other petroleum products.
Here's a hard cold fact JC, the importing of crude oil HAS increased since biden was elected to around the same amount we imported when obama was in office.
Hate Trump all day long, but he did encourage home grown products and that helped keep prices in check.
The gas prices are a direct result in bidens policies, not the war in the ukraine. Prices were already flying up before 2 weeks ago.

Well if you want to talk facts, let's try this. When little joe shut down the building of the pipeline from Canada, our crude oil supply took a direct hit. The completion of that pipeline would have saved millions in transportation costs, not to mention he eliminated many jobs in the process. Under his watch, our dependence on foreign crude has become out of control, while costing us more money to obtain. Our dependence on countries in Europe is staggering. The 600 number was incorrect. It is closer to 670 but it's crude oil AND other petroleum products.
Here's a hard cold fact JC, the importing of crude oil HAS increased since biden was elected to around the same amount we imported when obama was in office.
Hate Trump all day long, but he did encourage home grown products and that helped keep prices in check.
The gas prices are a direct result in bidens policies, not the war in the ukraine. Prices were already flying up before 2 weeks ago.
Simply wanted to point out that this exactly how misinformation gets passed around as facts. The 673k barrels a day is all oil imports and not only from Russia as you posted.
We were buying 600 THOUSAND barrels a day from Russia before the war started.

Oil prices are determined at global level. U.S. supply has a minimum impact in it. You think American companies are going to sell it cheaper domestically if the global price is higher. You free-market disciples should know that better than anyone else

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Well, YOU stated under Trump we imported over 500K barrels per day from RUSSIA. That has NEVER been the case. You incorrectly threw out numbers that were misleading and quite frankly, wrong.
You were just trying to make your point and trying to be right. When in fact you are wrong.

Look man, I talk out my ass waaaaayyyyy too much, but on this topic, I am absolutely correct. The cause of the gas price increase is biden's policies...

Reactions: MinersWon
Well, YOU stated under Trump we imported over 500K barrels per day from RUSSIA. That has NEVER been the case. You incorrectly threw out numbers that were misleading and quite frankly, wrong.

You were just trying to make your point and trying to be right. When in fact you are wrong.

Look man, I talk out my ass waaaaayyyyy too much, but on this topic, I am absolutely correct. The cause of the gas price increase is biden's policies...
Naw I just report facts I read...

"U.S. imports from Russia averaged 538,000 barrels a day in 2020—more than the 522,000-barrel-a-day average from Saudi Arabia."

Oil prices are determined at global level. U.S. supply has a minimum impact in it. You think American companies are going to sell it cheaper domestically if the global price is higher. You free-market disciples should know that better than anyone else
Half true.....While the global price may stay consistent, our prices are still effected but transportation costs, or lack thereof....For example, if the average global price for a barrel of oil was say, $40 (I know that's wrong) The cost of getting to Texas from Saudi Arabia is a hell of a lot higher than from the gulf. Hence the overall price would be higher getting it from overseas. Prices rise. We DID import less under Trump and our prices went down.
Comparison time....why are our food costs soaring? Because it is now costing more to get it delivered. We are relying of the rest of the world while people don't want to work here. Cost of shipping is a butt kicker. It aint free homeboys.
Here's where I say I use common sense. If you can get oil from midland, why in the HELL do you prefer getting it from russia?
Fact time, since biden was elected, our fuel costs have steadily gone up.

As much as I hate Joe Biden, he's not completely at fault for Gas Prices.

During the Pandemic, the US was energy independent. That doesn't mean that we did not import gas. Several States on the East Coast dont allow pipelines so they ship gas. But energy independence means we were Net Zero on imports/exports.

During the Pandemic, people drove alot less. So people investing in commodities weren't high on gas and prices went low. But now that we are out of the Pandemic, commodity brokers are buying oil. (Just like people hoarded Lysol and Toilet Paper, commodity brokers are buying up all the gas.) Gas is hot right now. People are back at work and want to travel.

Also, Russia produces 10% of the World's Oil. And whenever war is a threat to oil, the brokers buy up oil.

Did Executive Orders signed by Biden hurt? Its debatable, but it shouldn't have moved the needle much.

The politics in this is that the economy is reliant on fossil fuels and the US does it cleaner than anywhere. We are still one planet. We do our part clean but India and Russia do it brown. We have enough Fossil Fuel to provide the World for 100 years. And even though there should be a transition to cleaner energy, a reliable replacement doesn't exist.

Skyrocketing Gas Prices isn't really on Biden, but his administrations reactions to it are atrocious and out of touch. Saying to buy a Tesla, ride a bike, and stop relying on Gas, is a reply of people in Government who don't get our real world issues.

As much as I hate Joe Biden, he's not completely at fault for Gas Prices.

During the Pandemic, the US was energy independent. That doesn't mean that we did not import gas. Several States on the East Coast dont allow pipelines so they ship gas. But energy independence means we were Net Zero on imports/exports.

During the Pandemic, people drove alot less. So people investing in commodities weren't high on gas and prices went low. But now that we are out of the Pandemic, commodity brokers are buying oil. (Just like people hoarded Lysol and Toilet Paper, commodity brokers are buying up all the gas.) Gas is hot right now. People are back at work and want to travel.

Also, Russia produces 10% of the World's Oil. And whenever war is a threat to oil, the brokers buy up oil.

Did Executive Orders signed by Biden hurt? Its debatable, but it shouldn't have moved the needle much.

The politics in this is that the economy is reliant on fossil fuels and the US does it cleaner than anywhere. We are still one planet. We do our part clean but India and Russia do it brown. We have enough Fossil Fuel to provide the World for 100 years. And even though there should be a transition to cleaner energy, a reliable replacement doesn't exist.

Skyrocketing Gas Prices isn't really on Biden, but his administrations reactions to it are atrocious and out of touch. Saying to buy a Tesla, ride a bike, and stop relying on Gas, is a reply of people in Government who don't get our real world issues.
Very well said and very good points. However, to a large degree, the gas price IS on biden. From the day of the election, prices have gone up tremendously. ( I was reading some reports from the government yesterday) The pandemic didn't suddenly stop because he won the election, causing us to go back to work forcing a demand. Seeing that I really never stayed at home much even while my business was forced to be closed, I still saw a LOT of people on the roads. Yes, yes....it was down a buttload, but to cause the whole drop? nah.
This war is causing the global crude oil prices to soar. I get it. BUT....this war has been going on 2 weeks, not 17 months. My point is that if we had remained more energy independent, it shouldn't have effected us the way it has.
To your point on the east coast, don't you think it would be cheaper to truck it in than ship from Europe? I would bet yes meaning cheaper overall prices.

It would be cool to have a beer and chat with you. I bet I could learn a lot.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Gas prices in 2021 weren't that far off from the pre pandemic levels of 2018 and 2019. A couple of months they were a bit more expensive and some months even cheaper.

I think everyone is only remembering the 2020 prices. As someone who spends all day driving I know for a fact the streets were basically empty most of 2020. One could drive from Round Rock to Buda during business hours in less than half an hour through i35. Now that same trip takes a little under an hour.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Gas prices in 2021 weren't that far off from the pre pandemic levels of 2018 and 2019. A couple of months they were a bit more expensive and some months even cheaper.

I think everyone is only remembering the 2020 prices. As someone who spends all day driving I know for a fact the streets were basically empty most of 2020. One could drive from Round Rock to Buda during business hours in less than half an hour through i35. Now that same trip takes a little under an hour.
Maybe your part of the country, I drive every day in El Paso, and granted the first few months there was less traffic, but it didn’t take long for people here to get back into the streets.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Maybe your part of the country, I drive every day in El Paso, and granted the first few months there was less traffic, but it didn’t take long for people here to get back into the streets.
Could be. Or maybe just in El Paso, traffic didn't follow the trends of the rest of the country and world.

How many freakin dinosaurs were there? Seems implausible to think that many lizards had to die to run one of my cars.

• Haha
Reactions: JCorona
Cite some evidence of that …… of course you can’t
Easy to look this up on a gov site, eia.gov. Considerably more oil imported from Russia in 2021 than 2020. But I think we are missing a key point. The current world situation calls for severe measures against Russia and the USA and Europe are doing that. Banning oil imports from Russia is certainly doable for us since while we do import their oil, we are not dependent on it. If it hurts Russia even a little bit we should do it. With Russia now making deals with China and Iran, and with Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea, all dictatorships lined up together, we need to continue to put serious economic pressure on all of them.

Easy to look this up on a gov site, eia.gov. Considerably more oil imported from Russia in 2021 than 2020. But I think we are missing a key point. The current world situation calls for severe measures against Russia and the USA and Europe are doing that. Banning oil imports from Russia is certainly doable for us since while we do import their oil, we are not dependent on it. If it hurts Russia even a little bit we should do it. With Russia now making deals with China and Iran, and with Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea, all dictatorships lined up together, we need to continue to put serious economic pressure on all of them.
My point is larger than that. JCorona as usual throws something out without any citation. Of course he’s MIA when asked to provide evidence.

Cite some evidence of that …… of course you can’t
I'll post the link for you again since you're too lazy to read the thread.

"U.S. imports from Russia averaged 538,000 barrels a day in 2020—more than the 522,000-barrel-a-day average from Saudi Arabia."

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

In 2021, the US imported an average of 209,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil and 500,000 bpd of other petroleum products from Russia, according to the American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) trade association.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I'll post the link for you again since you're too lazy to read the thread.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

In 2021, the US imported an average of 209,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil and 500,000 bpd of other petroleum products from Russia, according to the American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) trade association.

The US Energy Information Agency (eia.gov) reports say 2021 saw the highest ever oil imports from Russia.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Bad part is almost all other consumer goods depend or use oil.
Plastics and cosmetics. So the whiffle bat and the stuff that made your wife, or ex-wife, look so good that you went out and spent 5 paychecks to get her to say “fine, I’ll marry you”. (I’m kidding)

But that slimey Mesozoic stuff has brought nothing but evil.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT