ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Locomotives

minermx07

MI Regular
Sep 6, 2009
I went to one of the first games and it was cool. I was really surprised by the quality of the soccer. TV doesn't do the athletes justice.

I also really liked that the food and drink options stayed consistent with what the Chihuahuas offer.

That being said, I like the more calm baseball crowds. But I am very impressed with Mountain Star Sports and the quality of product that they've brought to El Paso.

Glad to hear the crowds are getting into it. That's a real argument for El Paso being a soccer town.

They had a rough start to the season 1-2-2. Playing their style of play takes a lot of skilled players on the field and you gotta be familiar with what your teammates are gonna do, but since then it seems they ironed out the kinks and have gone 4-0-3 (1-0-1 against 1st and 2nd), they should have beat 1st place New Mexico by 3, but had two markup mistakes in the back and didn't finish off their chances on goal. They ended with a disappointing draw after dominating them.

Not too thrilled with their CDM, that dude makes no attacking runs at all and his touch is not to the level of the rest of his midfield or his two outside backs. He's just a stopper that shows to support the midfield. Hopefully they make adjustments with him.

The games are fun as hell, the crowd gets into it. The atmosphere is a lot different than a chihuahuas game.

We had a good ex EP turnout when they played in Austin. We are planning on taking over the San Antonio stadium on June 26th. A lot of the Austin/San Antonio fans will be there and some will be making the trip from El Paso. Come join us we have reserved tickets in assigned sections.

Reactions: jdubb66
I haven’t been to any games, but is the crowd size enough to justify a stadium solely for soccer? I’m just asking.

Here’s a pic that made the rounds on social media that weekend.

It was our first game and it was planned last minute. We have bigger plans and are more organized for the San Antonio game.

I haven’t been to any games, but is the crowd size enough to justify a stadium solely for soccer? I’m just asking.
Averaging over 7,000 soccer stadium would be about 7,500-8,000 and better game experience, because of placement of seats. Perfect if you ask me.

Didn't go to the last home game, so I don't know about that game, but all the other ones have been well attended except for the New Mexico game, that game was so-so, but it was mothers day. Cheap seats are hard to get if you go in a group of 4 or more. One of the midfield sections seems to be the least full of all of them, it always looks half full and is also one of the highest priced tickets. Oddly enough, if I remember correctly, the best seats in the house are also some of the cheapest, but that section looks like it's always sold out and it's a small area on the second bowl at midfield. I'd say, the bottom 7 rows in the entire stadium are the worse seats in the stadium if you really want to watch the game, everything is eye level in those seats.

With that being said, it would be great to have a soccer specific stadium for the hardcore soccer fan, but to keep the casual fan, it would have to be in the same part of downtown and have a similar stadium ambiance as the current Southwest University park. With all the trouble the naysayers have given the city over the current stadium and the arena, I don't think the city would be willing to drop the amount of cash needed to build another similar stadium downtown.

Didn't go to the last home game, so I don't know about that game, but all the other ones have been well attended except for the New Mexico game, that game was so-so, but it was mothers day. Cheap seats are hard to get if you go in a group of 4 or more. One of the midfield sections seems to be the least full of all of them, it always looks half full and is also one of the highest priced tickets. Oddly enough, if I remember correctly, the best seats in the house are also some of the cheapest, but that section looks like it's always sold out and it's a small area on the second bowl at midfield. I'd say, the bottom 7 rows in the entire stadium are the worse seats in the stadium if you really want to watch the game, everything is eye level in those seats.

With that being said, it would be great to have a soccer specific stadium for the hardcore soccer fan, but to keep the casual fan, it would have to be in the same part of downtown and have a similar stadium ambiance as the current Southwest University park. With all the trouble the naysayers have given the city over the current stadium and the arena, I don't think the city would be willing to drop the amount of cash needed to build another similar stadium downtown.

In the end I was wondering myself what benefits a soccer specific stadium would offer other than better seating options/ambience for soccer. Apart from soccer I don’t know what else that thing would host aside from the occasional outdoor concert where The Sun Bowl was too large. Maybe they could try to do what the Stub Hub Center did and push it as a great boxing venue, but even then fights are held on the tennis courts and not the soccer field. But that (and more) could be done inside a modern arena.

The ticket prices are too high IMO.
In the end I was wondering myself what benefits a soccer specific stadium would offer other than better seating options/ambience for soccer. Apart from soccer I don’t know what else that thing would host aside from the occasional outdoor concert where The Sun Bowl was too large. Maybe they could try to do what the Stub Hub Center did and push it as a great boxing venue, but even then fights are held on the tennis courts and not the soccer field. But that (and more) could be done inside a modern arena.

High School Football.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05

Grossman, would find a way to shoot it down and call wherever it is a historical treasure.

Well, and nattybry indicated a 7500-8000 seat soccer stadium. That doesn't give us any new capacity over Southwest University for concerts. It doesn't sound like a good investment at all: no concerts that can't already be hosted at Southwest University, and even the primary reason for its existence, soccer, is already hosted at Southwest University. It sounds like a really bad investment that won't bring us anything new.

So how many porras do the Locos have? I've seen the 8th Notch and I think there are others.

If I understand this article correctly, then Mountain Star was able to purchase their way into the highest division of Mexican soccer, which would be a really big deal for this area. Mexico's highest division is still at a higher level than MLS.

Having a good and ambitious ownership group is possibly the biggest key to being succesful in professional and El Paso is lucky to have Mountain Star running things. Them going out and getting Keiswetter mid-season was another sign how this group is willing to spend money to constantly improve. Let's hope that this FC Juarez 1st division comes true and let's also hope that the ankle biters don't try to prevent some of the big things that this ownership group is trying to accomplish.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiH8L3TjNjiAhVlITQIHQDXCY8QzPwBegQIARAC&url=http://www.record.com.mx/futbol-futbol-nacional-liga-mx-lobos-buap/lobos-buap-a-detalles-de-mudarse-a-ciudad-juarez&psig=AOvVaw1c50_Ko698LuEHDuBSQLa6&ust=1560021918223274

Last edited:
Well, and nattybry indicated a 7500-8000 seat soccer stadium. That doesn't give us any new capacity over Southwest University for concerts. It doesn't sound like a good investment at all: no concerts that can't already be hosted at Southwest University, and even the primary reason for its existence, soccer, is already hosted at Southwest University. It sounds like a really bad investment that won't bring us anything new.

If El Paso gets an MLS team, they'd get a new and bigger stadium.

The Locomotive need their own stadium. A USL season last 7 months. Add pre season friendlies and in season tournaments and there’s plenty of soccer activities year round to keep the stadium busy. We already have an 8k outdoor stadium but it’s difficult for promoters to book any notable events when the park is booked every single weekend from March to October with either a baseball or soccer game.

The owners have shown their aggressiveness to land the top level of soccer in North America. The main goal is to one day have an mls team in El Paso. A soccer specific stadium that holds 8k for soccer and 12k for concerts and boxing matches is the perfect start. It should be designed with expansion in mind. The San Antonio USL stadium can be converted into an MLS and FIFA ready in three phases.

No this won’t get us an MLS team but it will put us in their radar and we will be ready to jump at any possible openings.

The Locomotive need their own stadium. A USL season last 7 months. Add pre season friendlies and in season tournaments and there’s plenty of soccer activities year round to keep the stadium busy. We already have an 8k outdoor stadium but it’s difficult for promoters to book any notable events when the park is booked every single weekend from March to October with either a baseball or soccer game.

The owners have shown their aggressiveness to land the top level of soccer in North America. The main goal is to one day have an mls team in El Paso. A soccer specific stadium that holds 8k for soccer and 12k for concerts and boxing matches is the perfect start. It should be designed with expansion in mind. The San Antonio USL stadium can be converted into an MLS and FIFA ready in three phases.

No this won’t get us an MLS team but it will put us in their radar and we will be ready to jump at any possible openings.
Exactly $7,500 with room to expand if MLS Team can be acquired in 5-10 years.

I don’t care to build a soccer stadium, but if the city were to build one I think you need to be 100% sure this team/league will not fold due to financial difficulties. I saw online there were almost 20 clubs that have folded in the 9 years the league has been operational.

Reactions: kickballpro
I don’t care to build a soccer stadium, but if the city were to build one I think you need to be 100% sure this team/league will not fold due to financial difficulties. I saw online there were almost 20 clubs that have folded in the 9 years the league has been operational.
Are you counting the teams that went to MLS or the MLS teams that actually pulled their reserve teams out? Puerto Rico!!!! Don't forget about the teams forced to abandon ship by the league

Reactions: minerfan_14
Went to my first game last night. We dont need a soccer specific stadium. The ballpark works. They do a great job. That being said I dont think it will ever see jam packed week after week because it is overpriced for the product on the field. Tickets are aren't cheap and the stadium has gone crazy with concession prices over the years. $11 beers, $15 nachos. Prices started high and have gone up from quite a bit from there. If I go back it wont be my entire family, maybe just me and my son or I'll go with a friend. Cant afford too many family nights.

Reactions: ZonaMiner
There is no way the locomotives get a new stadium at the USL level. The current stadium works good and it keeps the casual sports fan going. I bet the locomotives have the highest ticket prices in the league, they are pretty close to MLS ticket prices

How much did you pay for tickets? Looking on the Ticketmaster website the only tickets available are overpriced re-sale ones. Is it really sold out?

On average around the league I think they cost $15 for sg’s, and everything behind the goals, and $20-$40 for sideline tickets.

Reactions: kickballpro
I bought 5 for 28 each. I was upper deck. Sideline. I was looking at endzone seats upper level and I tought they were 18 but when I got to the game the lady said they were 20 on game day. But like I said, $140 for the family just to get into the gate. I bought tickets at the stadium to avoid fees.

Reactions: JCorona
Those are the best seats, the lower bowl seating sucks for soccer. The lower bowl is cool for baseball, though. All game day tickets are $2 more. What did you think about the game?

This is actually a strong league and now is directly linked to MLS as a feeded team, so basically Triple A version of Soccer. It's not going anywhere.

Had a really good time Saturday, good crowd, the 8th notch fan club creates a great atmosphere sat first row in their section and it was really cool to see how soccer works from the fans to the game, saw two goals scored right in front of me, got so hammered I turned down a booty call before midnight it twas a good night, oh an we beat the LA Galaxy, don't care if its their minor league team lol I will be going to another game....err...match...

Had a really good time Saturday, good crowd, the 8th notch fan club creates a great atmosphere sat first row in their section and it was really cool to see how soccer works from the fans to the game, saw two goals scored right in front of me, got so hammered I turned down a booty call before midnight it twas a good night, oh an we beat the LA Galaxy, don't care if its their minor league team lol I will be going to another game....err...match...
I saw the pics! Lol it looked like you had a good time!

Reactions: picks up
Not sure how the Locomotive can ask for city help for their own stadium when their owners are buying their way into LigaMX.

Not sure how the Locomotive can ask for city help for their own stadium when their owners are buying their way into LigaMX.
I’m researching the details regarding the new stadium in Juarez they are supposed to build.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT