ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major new NCAA Basketball changes

I think the biggest can of worms in this is as to what constitutes an "elite" player. I think that players on mid-majors will be grossly overlooked when it comes to "elite" status. Those of us who were watching UTEP hoops during Hardaway's time here will remember that other point guards of his day, like Sherman Douglas, BJ Armstrong, and Dana Barros, received all of the national attention. Despite being better than any of them, Tim didn't start to get much notice until near the end of his senior year, and then really came into the spotlight in pre draft camps. He, the best collegiate point guard in the nation, probably wouldn't have been classified as "elite" during any of his years at UTEP.

Another example would be Stephen Curry. He was the best collegiate guard in the nation during his time at Davidson, but certainly wouldn't have been classified as "elite" until after his amazing run in the NCAA Tournament, when he led the Wildcats to the Elite 8.

High major powerhouses like Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas will probably have nearly all of their rosters listed as "elite", despite the fact that not everyone from those schools gets drafted or makes an NBA roster as a free agent. Truly elite mid major players better hope for a nice run in the Tournament for any hope of earning the "elite" classification.

I think the biggest can of worms in this is as to what constitutes an "elite" player. I think that players on mid-majors will be grossly overlooked when it comes to "elite" status. Those of us who were watching UTEP hoops during Hardaway's time here will remember that other point guards of his day, like Sherman Douglas, BJ Armstrong, and Dana Barros, received all of the national attention. Despite being better than any of them, Tim didn't start to get much notice until near the end of his senior year, and then really came into the spotlight in pre draft camps. He, the best collegiate point guard in the nation, probably wouldn't have been classified as "elite" during any of his years at UTEP.

Another example would be Stephen Curry. He was the best collegiate guard in the nation during his time at Davidson, but certainly wouldn't have been classified as "elite" until after his amazing run in the NCAA Tournament, when he led the Wildcats to the Elite 8.

High major powerhouses like Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas will probably have nearly all of their rosters listed as "elite", despite the fact that not everyone from those schools gets drafted or makes an NBA roster as a free agent. Truly elite mid major players better hope for a nice run in the Tournament for any hope of earning the "elite" classification.
This should make the players happy. With Euro ball and every where else, it's appears on paper at this point in time a good thing for a player to explore their options based on their talent and not getting pissed off when they see their likeness and/or number on a PS4 or Xbox basketball game knowing they didn't get a dime but the college gets their cut. Hopefully, the chickens in this roost can rest while the foxes have been appeased.

How does this affect recruiting? Are coaches going to hold on to scholarships in the event their player is not drafted?

Vince was always positive towards El Paso and he even told me one time how much his Mom really loved El Paso! The above tweet is the first negative thing that he has ever tweeted and he even followed this up by sending a second tweet less than an hour later saying that he "Loves El Paso with all of his heart."

I think this negative tweet was directed solely towards the people in charge of UTEP at that time(Floyd & Johnson) and the bad feelings that were caused by the Jeff Darby incident at the end of Vince's time here. He could also be referencing the fact that he was essentially going to turn pro regardless(somewhat similar to Lee Moore).

From the beginning, I think that Vince always had the view of wanting to spend as little time in college as possible, before he started to get paid for playing basketball. I am just happy that he chose to spend his two years of college here with us.

This new rule is going to open a can of worms. They should
make it mandatory 2 years of college before declaring for the
draft.
Things are going to go sour just wait.

Go Miners...

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Even if Hunter had no intentions to go pro that year, Darby's stupid twitter mistake would have sealed the deal with him not returning for his junior season. Vince would have transferred for sure if he planned on playing his junior year.
I dont blame Vince for being angry at UTEP. The dude got bashed by his own school's official athletics twitter account. Then on top of that, the guy who did it got to keep his job after making UTEP look like a complete joke in the national spotlight. Darby should have been cleaning out his office the following day after his twitter post. But it was just the same old no big deal to Boboso Stull because UTEP is one of the league leaders in attendance in CUSA.

Even if Hunter had no intentions to go pro that year, Darby's stupid twitter mistake would have sealed the deal with him not returning for his junior season. Vince would have transferred for sure if he planned on playing his junior year.
I dont blame Vince for being angry at UTEP. The dude got bashed by his own school's official athletics twitter account. Then on top of that, the guy who did it got to keep his job after making UTEP look like a complete joke in the national spotlight. Darby should have been cleaning out his office the following day after his twitter post. But it was just the same old no big deal to Boboso Stull because UTEP is one of the league leaders in attendance in CUSA.
The whole Floyd regime was a big clown show. However, Vince did come back for the orange and white game AND he did state while he was here that he maybe should have stayed another year. He was quoted in the news as saying that so hind sight is not always 20 - 20.

I do not blame Hunter for being mad at Floyd. I am glad that his anger isn’t directed at the university and the fans. I’m sure a lot of people would have just said “F*ck everyone!”

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT