ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

Top 3 Losers:

"Ivy League
After one season of allowing graduate transfers to play, the Ivy League is no longer allowing that to happen. Injury or not, you must leave after four seasons.

(We get it Ivy. You don't come here to get a pro contract)

Nevada

Nevada also lost about 60% of their starting lineup and scoring including their great backcourt of Desmond Cambridge Jr. and Grant Sherfield.

UTEP

The Miners lost 10 players to the portal, including Souley Boum, who averaged 19.9 points per game. Joe Golding’s squad finished 20-14 in his first season."

Losing Teddy Allen will be felt for the gags, but consistent appearances in the NCAA does have dividends and not just money and a new conference (so football is not longer in money sucking independent mode) but a nice recruiting chip. The might not get another Allen but they have stolen one top recruit.

So it was possible to get Boum or Kennedy back. I'm starting to think Golding didn't want them back.
Tydus was in the portal last year and decided to come back, so yeah, it’s possible. Anyone with an 7th grade education could have figured that out.

Yea, you’re right. Golding didn’t want them back. I figure his conversation with the two, went something like this.

Golding: “You know what Souley and Keonte, hit the road Jack. Thanks, but no thanks. I have a guy who stabs people, a high schooler from Cleveland, and a George Mason transfer who averaged 2ppg, ready to take your place.”

• Haha
Reactions: FeralFelidae
How did you reach that conclusion for either of those sentences?
If UTEP wanted them here they would be here. Money talks and I'm thinking they decided to use the funds in other players. It's just like free agency in pro sports. Good players are released or cut all the time. Maybe Golding wants his own players? Sharpe tested the free agency market, Western Kentucky either matched the offers or gave him a better deal. This isnt rocket science.

If UTEP wanted them here they would be here. Money talks and I'm thinking they decided to use the funds in other players. It's just like free agency in pro sports. Good players are released or cut all the time. Maybe Golding wants his own players? Sharpe tested the free agency market, Western Kentucky either matched the offers or gave him a better deal. This isnt rocket science.
UTEP is still not allowed to pay players.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Tydus was in the portal last year and decided to come back, so yeah, it’s possible. Anyone with an 7th grade education could have figured that out.

Yea, you’re right. Golding didn’t want them back. I figure his conversation with the two, went something like this.

Golding: “You know what Souley and Keonte, hit the road Jack. Thanks, but no thanks. I have a guy who stabs people, a high schooler from Cleveland, and a George Mason transfer who averaged 2ppg, ready to take your place.”
Boum was replaced by hoodierio and Kennedy was replaced with Sibley. I know it's hard for you to understand. One day you will get it.

woodharris-haywood-thumb-700xauto-244417.png

NMSU gets a LSU transfer who played in the NCAAs last year. Oh well, got our guy who played on a shitty Evansville team and Slashy McGee!

Yep. Due to poor recruiting Golding has boxed himself into a corner hoping that his coaching will pull him through. I'm just not sure that he has time nor that he is a great coach.

Reactions: FedupMiner
What grade does Golding get for the recruits?
I give him a D. I think it is safe to say that Golding isn’t a good recruiter and don’t expect much in terms of recruiting. We will find out how good his coaching skills are this upcoming season.

CJG is obviously recruiting for ball security and defense. That is his coaching style and dare I say, UTEP basketball or E Paso basketball.

He recruited mostly D1 transfers A
He got 1 inside guy who is a project C
One JC swing guy with athletic ability and prior D1 experience B
One high school recruit ranked in the top 60 at his position B-
Stole a recruit from NMSU A
Enlisted the services of a "true" point guard B
Solidified the guard positions with experienced guys and good ball handlers A
Met his own recruiting objectives B-

Overall I would say a B for recruiting.

Last edited:
Hard to be overly critical just yet. I was never impressed with Haskins recruits. Most kids were not highly recruited.
I'm not being overly critical.....yet. I have given my reasons for not liking some of Goldings coaching AND I have questioned his recruiting ability from the beginning. The transfer portal and NIL just made it 5 times harder for him.

Hard to be overly critical just yet. I was never impressed with Haskins recruits. Most kids were not highly recruited.
Agree for the most part. Golding did bring in three guys that we already know can produce at this level in Givance, Hardy, and Solomon. The issue is I don't think these three offset the loss of Bienemy, Boum, and Kennedy. So, in my opinion, that is likely a net loss from last year's team talent wise right off the bat. I do think some of the other guys Golding brought in have a chance to improve our overall depth from last year, but some of that is because we really didn't have true depth beyond the first 7-8 guys. The minute distribution reflected that. When you add the fact that Golding has yet to add a a proven, experienced low post presence, that also jumps right out as a huge question mark next year. He has mentioned how much Onyema has improved already this off season, so it sounds like he is ok with going with him, along with Kalu and Hamilton. We will see how that goes. Like many on here, I don't see enough outside shooting on the roster to overcome a lack of inside offense. The defense will need to generate a whole heck of alot more turnovers than it did last year, if we struggle offensively even more than we did last year.

That’s fair. A lot depends on the schedule too. Losing to bad teams is different than losing to power teams.

With CUSA going without divisions and playing everyone twice, that leaves few openings. They'll play Texas and NMSU twice. They'll have the Don Haskins Invite. That's 25 games right there.

With CUSA going without divisions and playing everyone twice, that leaves few openings. They'll play Texas and NMSU twice. They'll have the Don Haskins Invite. That's 25 games right there.
I don’t think the scheduling for CUSA play has been determined yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT