ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

This new era may not change that outcome now but the richest conferences will keep morphing this until they are the only ones in the tournament and the only ones in the big bowls and playoffs. The access bowl opportunity will eventually go away. They aren't satisfied with having almost everything. They want absolutely everything. College athletics is evolving in that direction and I don't think it will take long.
Why not make the first move and break away? Create our own tournament and playoff system. Maybe because the scraps of money they send our way is substantially more than we would get on our own.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Why not make the first move and break away? Create our own tournament and playoff system. Maybe because the scraps of money they send our way is substantially more than we would get on our own.
Probably so. Having watched Miner sports for such a long time I remember that fans used to enjoy watching games vs Trinity, West Texas State and Hardin Simmons. We probably won't slip that far but we will have lots of company anyway.

Just read that one of the new CUSA schools, Jacksonville State, is spending $80M on stadium and facility upgrades. They are transitioning from fcs. We need some real money.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
HJust read that one of the new CUSA schools, Jacksonville State, is spending $80M on stadium and facility upgrades. They are transitioning from fcs. We need some real money.

Here’s the thing. Jacksonville St is probably going to beat UTEP at football more so than not regardless. At the end of the day, UTEP and JSU won’t be eating at the same table as Alabama and Texas anyway.

When there’s an inevitable split of the top D1 schools, we won’t be there and neither will JSU and their $80million in stadium upgrades. There’s maybe a handful of schools that have an opportunity to upgrade. Temple, San Diego St, Boise St, Memphis, and few others. UTEP isn’t going to get to their level anytime soon.

We can try and keep up with the Joneses, but the Joneses are moving out of the neighborhood soon anyway.

Here’s the thing. Jacksonville St is probably going to beat UTEP at football more so than not regardless. At the end of the day, UTEP and JSU won’t be eating at the same table as Alabama and Texas anyway.

When there’s an inevitable split of the top D1 schools, we won’t be there and neither will JSU and their $80million in stadium upgrades. There’s maybe a handful of schools that have an opportunity to upgrade. Temple, San Diego St, Boise St, Memphis, and few others. UTEP isn’t going to get to their level anytime soon.

We can try and keep up with the Joneses, but the Joneses are moving out of the neighborhood soon anyway.
It pains me to say I actually agree with you SMH ugh.... Utep was left behind with MWC, then again when teams went to the AAC and Sun Belt. Utep has been in conferences with multiple teams throughout the years that are now in Power Conferences. Utep is the ugliest sister out of 5 and we have to keep watching our prettier sisters get married!

Last edited:

UTEP would need major investment to become top dog in C-USA. There’s no way in hell they can pull that off and make the jump to a top tier athletic department. You’re right. That ship sailed long ago, if UTEP were to make that move it should have been done in 2004 when Price got hired.

I agree with that. But I also believe it’s only a matter of time before we don’t get those scraps of money.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It pains me to say I actually agree with you SMH ugh.... Utep was left behind with MWC, then again when teams went to the AAC and Sun Belt. Utep has been in conferences with multiple teams throughout the years that are now in Power Conferences. Utep is the ugliest sister out of 5 and we have to keep watching our prettier sisters get married!

UTEP would need major investment to become top dog in C-USA. There’s no way in hell they can pull that off and make the jump to a top tier athletic department. You’re right. That ship sailed long ago, if UTEP were to make that move it should have been done in 2004 when Price got hired.
Have they made any serious effort to do anything?

Reactions: Rocketsr
Yes, but many MWC and AAC schools are going to be left behind too. I don’t see Wyoming and UNM hanging out at the cool table either.

I don't even care who we get or who wanted them anymore. Hopefully Golding can win a good amount of games with the recruits he lands.

Many players are leaving schools for no other reason than money. UTEP is screwed.
Unless one of the local billionaires gets into the NIL game here, it'll be a challenge for awhile, but I think the crazy money being spent now will level out some eventually.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Unless one of the local billionaires gets into the NIL game here, it'll be a challenge for awhile, but I think the crazy money being spent now will level out some eventually.
I truly hope so, but I dont think the money slows down. I dont blame the players though. I blame the system. I never thought the NIL would turn into pay for play (even though some of you said so from the beginning). I can see now that the one year transfer rule was always part of the money plan too.

I truly hope so, but I dont think the money slows down. I dont blame the players though. I blame the system. I never thought the NIL would turn into pay for play (even though some of you said so from the beginning). I can see now that the one year transfer rule was always part of the money plan too.
Well find out soon enough. Will these companies/alumni feel they’re getting a solid return on investment splashing 6 or 7 figures for recruits only for them to transfer after 1 year?

Reactions: denverutep

I knew it would be pay for play. But never could imagine that we would be talking about millions of dollars per athlete.

I thought you would see guys doing local car dealer ads and throwing some spending money around. But these athletes aren't even doing ads or using their actual name to make a business money. These large schools are just having donors put money into a pot and forming foundations that pay insane amounts of money.

Players were getting paid before. Now it's just out in the open. Dont gymnasts get paid at a young age? Soccer players get contracts at young age. It's about time football players and basketball players get paid correctly.

Reactions: kickballpro
With the Zachary pick up instead of alot of other quality transfer guards I'm giving Golding a D- so far on early recruiting. Hardy was probably the best. Hope he can get a quality Big man and Swing player to get to a C-, but I don't have tons of confidence. Next year might be very hard to watch, but I still believe that he'll get us to the tournament at least once before he leaves. Might be 4 years in his tenure though. Hope I'm wrong.

Can’t even knock them - they managed an at large bid and have done incredibly well in the portal this year. Something like 3 Pac12 transfers already.
Sad to say, we’ve been left in the dust
Not really knocking them, but they will be left behind too. Michigan and Michigan St don’t need or want Wyoming taking any piece of their money away.

If 1,000 miner fans put in $100 each. That's 100k. How many people post on here? We should be able to get a good player for that price.

I sent him another dm, I said I will give him $100 if he comes to Utep. Let's see if he answers?? 🤔🤔

If 1,000 miner fans put in $100 each. That's 100k. How many people post on here? We should be able to get a good player for that price.
I have to believe that this type of interaction with a recruit could be a violation of NCAA rules. Please stop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT