ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
Sure, it’s only about 25% of Elvernment to take a hike.
Fili, nothing personal, but stay the hell away from ideas for El Paso.

I was just joking. But I see I touched a nerve.😉😉 Let's talk about it. What has Fort Bliss done for El Paso besides raise the crime rate??

They dont even like El Paso.

Who the f cares? That’s one of the “cons” of joining the military. The government can tell you where to go live.

Lots of people from the south, do not like El Paso because it lacks greenery and there’s not enough english being spoken around town. It makes them feel like they’re foreigners in their own country.

They tolerate it because they have to. Few like it though. Big deal, that’s how it is.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
They dont even like El Paso.

Did you just read cons? You might want to read the entire conversation.

Sure, some didn't like El Paso. But there were plenty of positives listed for the city as well, and most of the cons had to do with their unit, not Fort Bliss or El Paso itself.

The bottom line is the local economy would absolutely crumble if Fort Bliss were to close.

Did you just read cons? You might want to read the entire conversation.

Sure, some didn't like El Paso. But there were plenty of positives listed for the city as well, and most of the cons had to do with their unit, not Fort Bliss or El Paso itself.

The bottom line is the local economy would absolutely crumble if Fort Bliss were to close.
Only positive was the food. Most said you dont choose to come Fort Bliss. Fort Bliss wont close because it is needed in the border. But if they did leave El Paso would have more land to develop. The Arena would be perfect in the Fort Bliss area. It's right in the middle of the city.

Only positive was the food. Most said you dont choose to come Fort Bliss. Fort Bliss wont close because it is needed in the border. But if they did leave El Paso would have more land to develop. The Arena would be perfect in the Fort Bliss area. It's right in the middle of the city.
Below are quotes listing positives other than the food (yeah, I included one talking about the food, but it's part of a much bigger paragraph):

Pros - El Paso is pretty nice town with tons to see and do. Ft Bliss is a fairly nice post.
  1. Most importantly all the hot Latinas walking around. Good lord that alone makes it not one of the worst.
  2. Fort Bliss itself is like a brand new post east of main post, with good amenities. New Hospital too that I left before that opened. The post itself physically is one of the best I’ve been to.
  3. Your in an actual city. It’s not like an hour away like some other spots, the city wraps around Fort Bliss. It’s got city stuff to do, all kinds of bars, actual good strip clubs, I thought some good food spots (disagree above on bad Mexican food, Kiki’s is good af), a few malls, top golf, Dave and busters, I fly, Soccer, Hockey and Triple A baseball team, and if you want to see trees just head up to Cloudcroft where it looks more like the PNW.

Pro: Mexican women

Pro: its in a real city, not backwoodsy

Pros: Good hiking and mountain biking locally. Ruidoso/Cloudcroft is 1.5 hours away for the same plus skiing. White sands is close by as well. There's tons of great food and a tolerable amount of craft beer. Semi pro hockey, baseball and soccer teams local. UTEP if you're college age. Dry heat. F*CK humidity. Weather is generally pretty good 9 months of the year. Green Chile all year round. There good hunting if you like small game or are willing to pay $$$ in NM.

I say live on the east side if you are living off post. Plenty to do over there. The west side as well. If you choose the NE just know you will be driving to the east or west to get anything done

The NE is quickly expanding and I hardly ever leave the area. It's great if you end up ever having to go to McGregor on a regular basis.

But, of course, none of this matters. Everyone with any amount of intelligence already knows that the opinions people have of El Paso range from love to hate and everything in between. What does matter is that without Bliss El Paso's economy would crumble. The soldiers assigned to Bliss, and there are a lot of them, shop, eat, play, and buy or rent in El Paso. But it's not just the stores, restaurants, entertainment venues, apartment complexes, builders, and realtors that depend on Bliss. There are also numerous civil servants who work on Bliss, and contractors whose jobs rely on Bliss. Many of the are high paying tech jobs, something that El Paso is woefully short of. Then there are the military retires in El Paso who rely on the Army's health care system. Beaumont and the VA will close if Bliss was shuttered, forcing many of those retirees to move elsewhere.

Sure, you would have all kinds of land to build an arena if Bliss closed. But how many people could affprd to buy tickets to it?

The above, of course, is completely obvious to any intelligent person who knows the slightest bit about El Paso.

Last edited:
Below are quotes listing positives other than the food (yeah, I included one talking about the food, but it's part of a much bigger paragraph):

Pros - El Paso is pretty nice town with tons to see and do. Ft Bliss is a fairly nice post.
  1. Most importantly all the hot Latinas walking around. Good lord that alone makes it not one of the worst.
  2. Fort Bliss itself is like a brand new post east of main post, with good amenities. New Hospital too that I left before that opened. The post itself physically is one of the best I’ve been to.
  3. Your in an actual city. It’s not like an hour away like some other spots, the city wraps around Fort Bliss. It’s got city stuff to do, all kinds of bars, actual good strip clubs, I thought some good food spots (disagree above on bad Mexican food, Kiki’s is good af), a few malls, top golf, Dave and busters, I fly, Soccer, Hockey and Triple A baseball team, and if you want to see trees just head up to Cloudcroft where it looks more like the PNW.

Pro: Mexican women

Pro: its in a real city, not backwoodsy

Pros: Good hiking and mountain biking locally. Ruidoso/Cloudcroft is 1.5 hours away for the same plus skiing. White sands is close by as well. There's tons of great food and a tolerable amount of craft beer. Semi pro hockey, baseball and soccer teams local. UTEP if you're college age. Dry heat. F*CK humidity. Weather is generally pretty good 9 months of the year. Green Chile all year round. There good hunting if you like small game or are willing to pay $$$ in NM.

I say live on the east side if you are living off post. Plenty to do over there. The west side as well. If you choose the NE just know you will be driving to the east or west to get anything done

The NE is quickly expanding and I hardly ever leave the area. It's great if you end up ever having to go to McGregor on a regular basis.

But, of course, none of this matters. Everyone with any amount of intelligence already knows that the opinions people have of El Paso range from love to hate and everything in between. What does matter is that without Bliss El Paso's economy would crumble. The soldiers assigned to Bliss, and there are a lot of them, shop, eat, play, and buy or rent in El Paso. But it's not just the stores, restaurants, entertainment venues, apartment complexes, builders, and realtors that depend on Bliss. There are also numerous civil servants who work on Bliss, and contractors whose jobs rely on Bliss. Many of the are high paying tech jobs, something that El Paso is woefully short of. Then there are the military retires in El Paso who rely on the Army's health care system. Beaumont and the VA will close if Bliss was shuttered, forcing many of those retirees to move elsewhere.

Sure, you would have all kinds of land to build an arena if Bliss closed. But how many people could admire to buy tickets to it?

The above, of course, is completely obvious to any intelligent person who knows the slightest bit about El Paso.
There’s the problem, you said any intelligent person, that leaves Fili out.

Sure, you would have all kinds of land to build an arena if Bliss closed. But how many people could admire to buy tickets to it?
El Paso isn't hurting for land to build an arena with or without Ft. Bliss. The desire to build the arena downtown is part of the long-term plan to vitalize downtown. That Grossman was successful in torpedoing the project over a Chinese laundry that most recently operated as "El Pisto Food and Drink" is indicative of the headwinds that El Paso faces from its own people when trying to make progress. Some people just don't want El Paso to have nice things.

Nice! Austin doesn’t have one. I tried it in Waco and thought it was good.

If Dave's Hot Chicken lives up to its name Fili will hate it. He can't stand any spicy chicken sandwich that is as advertised

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Oh great another unhealthy restaurant. El Paso needs more healthy options.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT