ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
Don’t recall either of those
It was located on I-10 & McRae. It was at the end of the 70's or very early early 80's (I was just a kid) my parents took me to the Morning Side Mall. If I'm not mistaken the building still exists and it is currently the YISD offices. Later in the 80's it was a store named Bests (not Best Buy). I found this link and apparently there was a Cinema there: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/58063

Last edited:
Castle-Park_Trinity-J-Lara.jpg

How many of y’all remember when this article was first published?

It was located on I-10 & McRae. It was at the end of the 70's or very early early 80's (I was just a kid) my parents took me to the Morning Side Mall. If I'm not mistaken the building still exists and it is currently the YISD offices. Later in the 80's it was a store named Bests (not Best Buy). I found this link and apparently there was a Cinema there: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/58063
I think the BEST was at Yarbrough and I-10. The building you’re thinking of was a Toys R Us starting in the late 80s. That’s the the toys r us the Texas seven leader violently robbed

Sumitomo's 24-year-old El Paso auto-wire factory closing, longtime employees face layoffs​

Vic Kolenc
El Paso Times

Published February 6, 2023

A Japanese company is closing its 24-year-old automotive-wire manufacturing plant in Northwest El Paso, and laying off 110 workers.

The jobs are being moved outside the United States, but company officials are not divulging where they are going, said Matt Adams, general manager of general affairs and human resources for Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems.

The Kentucky-based company is owned by Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd., a large Japanese conglomerate.

The factory is being closed for unspecified “business reasons, including factors related to customer design changes and manufacturing requirements,” according to a company news release.

“This is a family feeling type of place. This breakup will be difficult for a lot of folks,” Adams said.

The factory is located in a huge industrial building at 6500 N. Desert Blvd., and Northern Pass Drive, across the street from West Towne Marketplace and next to part of Schneider Electric’s huge, recently expanded manufacturing campus in the Northwest Corporate Center.

Most of the manufacturing workers will be laid off in phases from March 31 through the end of May, when the plant will shut down, according to the company’s Jan. 20 notice to the Texas Workforce Commission. About 20 workers will remain for several months to do work needed to return the building to the landlord, Adams said.
Most of the workforce is machine operators. The machines take copper and turn it into wire that is used in automotive wire harnesses, Adams said. Some of that wire goes to Sumitomo’s wire-harness factory across the U.S.-Mexico border in Juárez. The El Paso plant also supplies wire to other Sumitomo factories in other areas of Mexico, Adams said.

This is the first major announcement of El Paso layoffs in 2023 reported to the TWC. In 2022, only two companies reported layoffs to the state agency: Food City, a small El Paso supermarket chain that closed a store in South-Central El Paso, and the tiny Quickie broom factory that closed in East El Paso.

I think the BEST was at Yarbrough and I-10. The building you’re thinking of was a Toys R Us starting in the late 80s. That’s the the toys r us the Texas seven leader violently robbed
About the BEST been located at Yarbrough I think your right. As for the Tory R US, no I remember it was the big building behind that shopping mall where Toy R US used to be, I remember it had a parking lot underneath, so it has to be the building where the YISD offices currently are. In fact it shows that in the link I put on my previous post.

The Morningside Mall building is now being used by YISD. Toys R Us was a little more south and in a different strip mall. I believe it’s a Floor & Decor now. Best was on 1-10 and Yarbrough in the property with Peter Piper Pizza.
I do remember another mall way out east during the '80s, but I don't think it was called Morningside Mall. Was the mall ever renamed, or can anybody else remember another mall out there? I only went there once or twice.

I remember where the circuit city on the east side was. That’s about as far back as I go.

Far east is taking off as is West side.

https://www.ktsm.com/news/booming-businesses-increase-traffic-congestion-in-far-east-el-paso/

https://kisselpaso.com/hooters-spreading-its-wings-location-planned-in-far-east-el-paso/

https://www.elpasoinc.com/news/busi...cle_56d32cd2-771b-11ed-a861-fbe5c52b7cb9.html

"A hot industrial real estate market has prompted a Dallas developer to buy property at a high-profile intersection in East El Paso for a large industrial park.

Stonelake Capital Partners, which is currently building another logistics park in East El Paso County, recently completed the purchase of 90 vacant acres at Montana Avenue and Joe Battle Boulevard from River Oaks Properties, a large El Paso shopping center developer, for an undisclosed amount."-https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/m...istics-park-to-high-profile-land/65377766007/

https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/the-o...fer-discounts-jonathan-mejia-reports-10-15-22

Last edited:
I do remember another mall way out east during the '80s, but I don't think it was called Morningside Mall. Was the mall ever renamed, or can anybody else remember another mall out there? I only went there once or twice.
On Lee Trevino and 1-10, there was an unsuccessful attempt at a mall. The building is still there. Sometimes a Call Center is run out of there. By chance, was it that one?

When I was in middle school I remember my parents took me to the $1 movies there. We were traveling south on Lee Trevino about to reach I-10. Someone ran a red light at the intersection and hit a convertible mustang. The passenger of the mustang went flying and landed somewhere on i10. Needless to say we didn’t go to the movies and I still have ptsd at that intersection.

On Lee Trevino and 1-10, there was an unsuccessful attempt at a mall. The building is still there. Sometimes a Call Center is run out of there. By chance, was it that one?
There used to be a store there that sold clothes in the early 90s. Drove over there a few times with a buddy so we could buy Guess jeans 🤣. I can't remember the name of that store.

No, it wasn't that. I believe it was on the other side of the interstate.
I think you're referring to the Mall where Hotel & Furniture Liquidator currently is. Back in the late 80's and early 90's Burling Co Factory used to be in that Mall (Lee Trevino and I-10), then they moved to Yarbrough where Walmart used to be after they moved behind that same building.

I think you're referring to the Mall where Hotel & Furniture Liquidator currently is. Back in the late 80's and early 90's Burling Co Factory used to be in that Mall (Lee Trevino and I-10), then they moved to Yarbrough where Walmart used to be after they moved behind that same building.
Yes it was Burlington

Well, if you're really old you remember a place called Gibson's that was a combined grocery store that also sold automotive products, housewares, toys and had a garden center. In essence it was Walmart before there was Walmart. Next door was thr Chuck E Cheese that later became Pistol Pete's Pizza. Across the street was Best, which is now Ross. In the same parking lot was Bennigan's. There was also Towne East theater that is now a place that sells used games.

About the BEST been located at Yarbrough I think your right. As for the Tory R US, no I remember it was the big building behind that shopping mall where Toy R US used to be, I remember it had a parking lot underneath, so it has to be the building where the YISD offices currently are. In fact it shows that in the link I put on my previous post.
You’re right about the Toys R Us yes. I do remember the Best being on Yarbrough. I think it later became Mervyns then a Mexican grocery store.

Reactions: Minerinciter
Well, if you're really old you remember a place called Gibson's that was a combined grocery store that also sold automotive products, housewares, toys and had a garden center. In essence it was Walmart before there was Walmart. Next door was thr Chuck E Cheese that later became Pistol Pete's Pizza. Across the street was Best, which is now Ross. In the same parking lot was Bennigan's. There was also Towne East theater that is now a place that sells used games.
That Walmart that was next to Pistol Pete’s was at one time the busiest Walmart in the country. Now it’s Burlington

I remember when that Mexican grocery store next to Ross used to be a JC Penney.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT