ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
The selection and quality of coffee is fantastic at HEB, for instance. And if you want diabetes, the bakery too.

Albertson's has a bakery and a quality selection of coffee.

HEB relates to a niche market. I have a number of people say they love HEB and a have heard a number of people say they don't get the hype.

I still don't get the hype.

• Haha
Reactions: jdubb66
Albertson's has a bakery and a quality selection of coffee.

HEB relates to a niche market. I have a number of people say they love HEB and a have heard a number of people say they don't get the hype.

I still don't get the hype.
The selection of prepared lunches/dinners is really unique as well. The bakery, the meat market, the produce. All very good, probably the best I have ever seen from a grocery store. And I have been to the coffee aisle at Albertsons. It's nothing like HEBs.

It's all subjective of course. You're entitled to your opinion. I love HEB though and go when I can because it's in my market.

The selection of prepared lunches/dinners is really unique as well. The bakery, the meat market, the produce. All very good, probably the best I have ever seen from a grocery store. And I have been to the coffee aisle at Albertsons. It's nothing like HEBs.

It's all subjective of course. You're entitled to your opinion. I love HEB though and go when I can because it's in my market.

Fair enough!

Not every HEB is World Class. Just like some Buc Cees are just like a Circle K and some Buc Cees are on another level.

Reactions: EPUTEP
How much do they charge for Doritos and cookies? It's funny that you mention the brisket because I thought it was just ok. It was nothing special. I have had better brisket in El Paso.

I'm not a fan, but to each their own.

I don't get the brisket and Big Red thing either. It is a big deal here; they even have a brisket and Big Red festival. It's a San Antonio cult thing...think Chicos.

Reactions: EPUTEP
I get the brisket, but Big Red? That one baffles me. But that soda is beloved here in San Antonio for some unknown reason.
Big Red is a very popular pop next to Dr Pepper. Go on Pinterest and they make refreshing drinks with Big Red.

Big Red is a very popular pop next to Dr Pepper. Go on Pinterest and they make refreshing drinks with Big Red.
Pop? Texas sure ain't "pop" country.

sodapop.jpg

Heb DOES NOT HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT COMING TO EL PASO. Wish people would quit asking for it.
I sent an email a long time ago. And what I was told is that El Paso doesn't fit it's current footprint. The farthest west location is Odessa or Odessa. I found it a bit odd. I don't see what 300 or so miles more west would do, but after that I stopped giving a crap. Been in DFW where there's only a couple, but I stick to Kroger, Tom Thumb and occasionally WinCo.

I’m lucky to live in an area that has major grocery chains like Kroger, Tom Thumb, aka Albertsons, HEB, Market Street, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Walmart, and others. When HEB first opened in Frisco, people were lining up to go there. Initially many of their competitors lost customers, but now that the hype is over, many of their customers came back. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice store but not much different than the competition. I tried their bbq brisket and it was very average. The DFW has some great bbq joints and HEB poses no threat to them.

This would be cool to have. There is an authentic NY deli downtown, they should try this.

I’m lucky to live in an area that has major grocery chains like Kroger, Tom Thumb, aka Albertsons, HEB, Market Street, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Walmart, and others. When HEB first opened in Frisco, people were lining up to go there. Initially many of their competitors lost customers, but now that the hype is over, many of their customers came back. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice store but not much different than the competition. I tried their bbq brisket and it was very average. The DFW has some great bbq joints and HEB poses no threat to them.

Their BBQ isn’t great. Have you been to Zavala’s in Grand Prairie ? That is the best BBQ I ever had.

I tried Hard Eight, loved it, then someone told me Pecan Lodge was better than Hard Eight. Then after committing to Pecan Lodge, I was told about Zavala’s. I’ve tried several other places in DFW but Zavala’s is the shit for me.

Their BBQ isn’t great. Have you been to Zavala’s in Grand Prairie ? That is the best BBQ I ever had.

I tried Hard Eight, loved it, then someone told me Pecan Lodge was better than Hard Eight. Then after committing to Pecan Lodge, I was told about Zavala’s. I’ve tried several other places in DFW but Zavala’s is the shit for me.
I’ve had Hard Eight and really liked their bbq. They offer a variety of meats and sides and their prices are great.
IMHO, Terry Black’s in Deep Ellum is the best bbq I’ve had. T-Black’s is pricey but definitely worth it. Two other great places are Hutchins bbq and Tender Smokehouse in Frisco. I’ve heard great things about Pecan Lodge and they are next on my list. El Paso may have the best Mexican food in Texas, but DFW rules the state when it comes to bbq.

Reactions: kickballpro
I have to try Zavala’s next time I’m in GP. I’ve also heard great things about Hurtado’s bbq. I heard from my brother that El Paso has opened some good bbq restaurants. I need to check them out next time I’m in town.

I sent an email a long time ago. And what I was told is that El Paso doesn't fit it's current footprint. The farthest west location is Odessa or Odessa. I found it a bit odd. I don't see what 300 or so miles more west would do, but after that I stopped giving a crap. Been in DFW where there's only a couple, but I stick to Kroger, Tom Thumb and occasionally WinCo.
When your sending a 6 trucks a week per store, that 300 miles gets expensive.

Reactions: nattybry
’ve had Hard Eight and really liked their bbq. They offer a variety of meats and sides and their prices are great.
IMHO, Terry Black’s in Deep Ellum is the best bbq I’ve had. T-Black’s is pricey but definitely worth it. Two other great places are Hutchins bbq and Tender Smokehouse in Frisco. I’ve heard great things about Pecan Lodge and they are next on my list. El Paso may have the best Mexican food in Texas, but DFW rules the state when it comes to bbq.

Tried HEB BBQ and not impressed. I agree on Tender as being pretty decent. My wife and son in law went to Terry Black and thought it was just OK.

Have not tried any of the others you've mentioned. There was one located basically in a car dealership on 121 near Frisco that was surprisingly good -- can't recall the name.

I live up the road in Sherman and there's a pretty good place here -- won some awards. Also hearing good things about Heritage butchery and bbq in Denison but haven't tried it yet. Smoking my own brisket this weekend.

Agree with Terry Blacks. About the same as every other BBQ. They do have better side dishes.

It's over 1.1 million, but again El Paso/LC/Jtown is a very unique area of 2.8 million, but most businesses don't count Juarez even though they spend millions and millions on the US side. If that was ever changed and accounted for, more would come to the region for sure!
It is. The Fountains was created to target high end shoppers from Juarez. Sad part is the “addicted to the lie” part as they sold EP a bill of goods by stating that it would be bringing in Phoenix/Dallas high end retail. All we got was Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, which is awesome, but that’s it.

Reactions: MinerManiac
It is. The Fountains was created to target high end shoppers from Juarez. Sad part is the “addicted to the lie” part as they sold EP a bill of goods by stating that it would be bringing in Phoenix/Dallas high end retail. All we got was Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, which is awesome, but that’s it.

The Fountains is always busy every time I go. It's doing great for El Paso.

Reactions: Minerinciter
Deutsch & Deutsch has Rolexes.

(At this point of my life I prefer Omegas, which are less expensive than Rolexes, but as far as I know El Paso doesn't have any Omega dealers, which is strange.)

I have to try Zavala’s next time I’m in GP. I’ve also heard great things about Hurtado’s bbq. I heard from my brother that El Paso has opened some good bbq restaurants. I need to check them out next time I’m in town.
Rollin Smoke in Anthony is doing it the right way. Don't know about the others. Desert Oak is okay for me but RS is the Shizzle for Rizzle.

You can taste the difference. They run promotions where you buy their brand and give you the name brand for free so you can compare for yourself. Their version of Doritos is way better and cheaper than the original. Same thing for the Chips Ahoy cookies.

They have stuff no one else carries, that cater to the local market. Apparently, you are not a San Antonian util you have had brisket and Big Red, and HEB has the combos for that. They also do a ton of outreach and give back programs around town. Their IT department has recruiting department for high functioning ASD individual who can code. Their pick up service was smooth and up and running when the pandemic hit. They had been perfecting that system the H1N1 virus came around. Their gas is usually cheaper than anyone else. The list of pros is very long.
Exactly. HEB has a huge variety of unique foods and seemingly lower prices than Albertsons or Tom Thumb. I once bought a big screen TV there and a weed eater. There is a reason why there are lines out the door at the new DFW HEBs

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT