ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Last Dance

minermx07

MI Regular
Sep 6, 2009
Figure we can talk about something besides politics. Loving the show. Everyone is surprised by Jordan's being kind of a jerk sometimes.....I'm not. I think he's great and that's just a thing in sports.

I only played high school ball and I played with people with way worse attitudes .

I was very surprised with tonight’s two episodes. For the good. I didn’t think MJ would participate with any retelling of his gambling issues. Loving the series.

Haven't watched but the first episode. Have they spoken about MJ beating up Steve Kerr? Story goes practice got aggressive, the way MJ likes it, to the point that MJ & Kerr came to blows. More like MJ pounded on Kerr. Hyper athletic competition in the world of world champions with chips on their shoulders. How else you going to win 6 rings?

I cringed when I saw the still photo of Jerry Krause and Tim Floyd (the dark days of Bulls' history, darker days to come for the Miners).

Enjoyed seeing Tim Hardaway sitting next to Jordan in the locker room. You saw Magic talking to Jordan and then it cuts off when Magic was about to talk to Tim. But it was Hardaway who have up his starting spot on the team in 92 so Magic could be on the court with HIV. Despite many players not wanting to play with Magic at the time.

Even though was never a Kobe Bryant or Laker fan, it was surreal seeing Kobe in Episode 5.

Very interesting and telling show. Anybody that played with Jordan knew he would be tough on them, but that they would win. I love the way that Jordan details his gambling. It was just all competition to him, but he was dealing with some shady characters.

Pippen was a great player,, but screwed himself with his contract. His fault. I think he comes across pretty bad at times.

Rodman is mentally sick, truly Bipolar. He was a real pain (good on the court and bad off the court). Jackson was the perfect coach for him.

Krause was bullied, but smart as heck. He made way too many good decisions for too many years to not get any credit. Too bad he is not there to defend himself.

I was cool seeing Hardaway. I forgot how good John Starks was for a little while. He never backed down.

Was waiting to see some Dominique Wilkins and the dunk competitions, but nothing.

I love this documentary. Obviously they’re not going to cover EVERYTHING, but we are getting a glimpse into the real MJ and the real dynamic they all had. Rodman drinking and driving a motorcycle, Jordan cussing and being an asshole, Oakley slapping Pippen like a HS bully, and Pippen being a dick to Krause. I do think it’s unfortunate that Krause is not here to defend himself and explain why he wanted to rebuild after 1998.

Reactions: minermx07
I'll say, seeing the documentary, reminded me of how we felt about Jordan. That Jordan was an artist, a basketball genius.

As amazinga LeBron is, I don't get that same feeling from him.

I guess they're different players with different attributes, but there was a grace to Michael's game that I still haven't seen since.

I'll say, seeing the documentary, reminded me of how we felt about Jordan. That Jordan was an artist, a basketball genius.

As amazinga LeBron is, I don't get that same feeling from him.

I guess they're different players with different attributes, but there was a grace to Michael's game that I still haven't seen since.

I hope the younger generations that never saw him play understand how great he was. I know people want to say some of the younger players are in his class, or the class of The Chicago Bulls. But when you compare any player or any team to those Bulls teams of the 90s, aside from the Magic in 1995 when Jordan just came out of retirement no one, not a player or a team beat those guys during their run. Obviously Kobe, Lebron, Curry, Durant are amazing players but they all lost big games but once Jordan and The Bulls reached the top they stayed there.

Last edited:
One of the things my kids are learning is that Jordan could've averaged 40 a night easily but he bought into Phil's team first philosophy. But it's pretty clear that he couldn't be guarded. Most kids think Jordan would sit the bench these days. They have no idea.

One of the things my kids are learning is that Jordan could've averaged 40 a night easily but he bought into Phil's team first philosophy. But it's pretty clear that he couldn't be guarded. Most kids think Jordan would sit the bench these days. They have no idea.

Kobe har to learn to buy into the team philosophy as well under Phil Jackson. Those couple of years under Rudy T. when he was going off for an ungodly number of points and trying to dictate every move wasn’t his most productive as a team. You can tell he changed when Phil came back and they won two in a row.

I like the attitudes of the players back then too. They mostly respected each other, but they did see it as a competition.

That's why Westbrook is my favorite player in the league right now. He's the one guy I think would fit in with a 90s NBA locker room.

I like the attitudes of the players back then too. They mostly respected each other, but they did see it as a competition.

That's why Westbrook is my favorite player in the league right now. He's the one guy I think would fit in with a 90s NBA locker room.

It’s tough to say who would fit in from today’s NBA. You can tell how different those guys were almost 30 years ago compared to today. It’s a completely different generation. The 90s NBA hoopers we’re so different compared to today. I wonder if today’s players are drinking beer after the games, gambling on the planes and pulling Rodmans. This series sheds a lot of light on how vicious the NBA locker rooms were. Today’s guys are into wearing wacky outfits to the games and posting BS on Instagram and Twitter. Imagine if Russ showed up to a 90s NBA locker room dressed like this?

Last edited:
It’s tough to say who would fit in from today’s NBA. You can tell how different those guys were almost 30 years ago compared to today. It’s a completely different generation. The 90s NBA hoopers we’re so different compared to today. I wonder if today’s players are drinking beer after the games, gambling on the planes and pulling Rodmans. This series sheds a lot of light on how vicious the NBA locker rooms were. Today’s guys are into wearing wacky outfits to the games and posting BS on Instagram and Twitter. Imagine if Russ showed up to a 90s NBA locker room dressed like this?

Lol.. you're right about the outfits...

Kind of off subject but this may be as good a place as any to tell this story:
In Vegas, they have a big golf tournament which was Michael Jordan's for years, and it attracted a ton of big names, and most were really nice guys. Bruce Smith was one of the nicest if I remember. It is now the Derek Jeter tournament.

Well, a guy that I know was an executive at MGM, and he was allowed to play in the tournament, as they all were. He was a graduate of San Diego State, and he was instrumental in getting Marshall Faulk to participate. So, he thought it would be great to be paired with him as he was one of his heroes.

He said that he could not believe how much of a jerk Marshall was. The guy would tell him what a fan of his he was, and just shower him with compliments, and Marshall would not say a word, then whisper something to his caddy, and his caddy would answer for him. Marshall would not say 2 words to him, and all communication was done through his Caddy. He said Marshall never said anything to him during the whole day on the course or after. He said he had never met a person like that in his life, and goes to show you that you don't know someone and once you do it can change your outlook in 2 seconds. I guess that can work both ways.

Autograph Boy must have some stories as he has approached many of these guys.

"The Post War Years

America was ready to celebrate. For most Americans, it had been nearly fifteen years since they had felt such a sense of exhilaration. From the nightmare decade of the thirties, the country had been plunged into four years of war that affected, to some degree, every household in the country. A postwar economic boom put money in the pockets of millions of people — and they were anxious to spend it. With many consumer good still in short supply, Americans looked for other ways to spend their money. They tackled leisure activities with a frenzy and professional sports became a major beneficiary.....Younger pros and college players who had graduated during the war years captured most of the major league jobs in the first post war years. The most important group, however, were the players whose college careers were interrupted by the war and returned to finish their college careers. These older, more experienced college graduates of the late forties would provide professional basketball with a nucleus of players that would dominate the game through the mid-1950s. These tall, talented, nationally known players, graduating from college in unprecedented numbers provided the pro game with the talent on the floor and publicity at the box office.."

https://probasketballencyclopedia.com/the-post-war-years/

In Vegas, they have a big golf tournament which was Michael Jordan's for years, and it attracted a ton of big names, and most were really nice guys. Bruce Smith was one of the nicest if I remember. It is now the Derek Jeter tournament.

Well, a guy that I know was an executive at MGM, and he was allowed to play in the tournament, as they all were. He was a graduate of San Diego State, and he was instrumental in getting Marshall Faulk to participate. So, he thought it would be great to be paired with him as he was one of his heroes.

He said that he could not believe how much of a jerk Marshall was. The guy would tell him what a fan of his he was, and just shower him with compliments, and Marshall would not say a word, then whisper something to his caddy, and his caddy would answer for him. Marshall would not say 2 words to him, and all communication was done through his Caddy. He said Marshall never said anything to him during the whole day on the course or after. He said he had never met a person like that in his life, and goes to show you that you don't know someone and once you do it can change your outlook in 2 seconds. I guess that can work both ways.

I've heard a story from a family member that has played a bunch of pro-ams about how Jordan won't tip, but Jerry Rice tips nicely. Don't hold me to it though. It was just an acquaintance to their caddy for him.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I've heard a story from a family member that has played a bunch of pro-ams about how Jordan won't tip, but Jerry Rice tips nicely. Don't hold me to it though. It was just an acquaintance to their caddy for him.

I can 100 percent substantiate that Jordan and Pippen do not tip at the poker tables. There are a ton of NBA players that do not. Barkley was once playing with Jordan and a couple of others, and when they walked away without tipping, he apologized and left a huge one. Lebron is also one that does not tip.

Jordan, one time won close to a million at the table one night, and did not tip the dealer.

One of the worst people is Tiger Woods. He won't tip anyone, even a massage therapist. One time he was questioned on why he did not tip any waitresses, and he said it was their job. Waitresses would fight to get away from his table because he was also rude as hell.

Another one that comes to mind is Mayweather. When he is winning, he is all smiles and calls his dealer "Baby". But once he starts losing he curses and yells at them. Does not tip either way. Dealers try and avoid him at the tables.

Last edited:
You know what's really sad. At one time Tim Floyd was an outstanding coach and 99% of us on this website could not be more excited when he was hired here. What could have been at UTEP that was never realized. Oh well off to bigger and better things.

Reactions: kickballpro

I do have many stories!

I have not met Marshall Faulk, but I know people that have and he is not a friendly person.

Hey AB which big name would you say was the most personable?

I would say Jerry Seinfeld. I met him four times and he was nice each time.

The first time I met him was in 2006 and I never watched an episode of Seinfeld. Right after that I got hooked on the show and have have watched all the episodes numerous times.

I would say Jerry Seinfeld. I met him four times and he was nice each time.

The first time I met him was in 2006 and I never watched an episode of Seinfeld. Right after that I got hooked on the show and have have watched all the episodes numerous times.

Do you ever watch Curb Your Enthusiasm with Larry David? You would love it.

Bon Jovi is one of the nicest guys, but the nicest of all was David Haye, the heavyweight boxer who was champion at one time. He went above and beyond.

I have found that the least personable guys are the NBA's.

Oh and I forgot, Will Hernandez is one of the meanest son of a bitches on the field, but one of the nicest guys I have ever met. A friend of mine loves Offensive lineman and comes up to me and points at a guy and says to him, that I am from El Paso. Well, it turned out to be Will Hernandez.
He remembers your name the next time he sees you, and introduces you to people he is with. Loves talking and engages you in the conversation. I have worked out many times at the same time as him at the gym. He will actually come up to you and say hello. There are few as nice as him.
Also, Will has great things to say about El Paso. Loves the city and the people.

Last edited:

Bon Jovi is one of the nicest guys, but the nicest of all was David Haye, the heavyweight boxer who was champion at one time. He went above and beyond.

Yep, love Curb Your Enthusiasm!

I have heard that about Bon Jovi. Where did you meet him?

When Evander Holyfield was here he refused to sign autographs.

Yep, love Curb Your Enthusiasm!

I have heard that about Bon Jovi. Where did you meet him?

When Evander Holyfield was here he refused to sign autographs.

Read my updated post above:

I met Bon Jovi in Vegas. As for Holyfield, I used to train out of a boxing gym in Houston, where he trained. He signed a picture of himself for me. He was a nice guy, but maybe that was before he was real big. This was during his fights with Riddick Bowe.

I knew you would like Curb, it fits you. One of the funniest shows ever.

Read my updated post above:

I met Bon Jovi in Vegas. As for Holyfield, I used to train out of a boxing gym in Houston, where he trained. He signed a picture of himself for me. He was a nice guy, but maybe that was before he was real big. This was during his fights with Riddick Bowe.

I knew you would like Curb, it fits you. One of the funniest shows ever.

I really want to see Bon Jovi in concert.

Cool story with Will Hernandez. Jordan Palmer is the same way. I met him again in 2014 and he remembered me from his playing days.

I am not sure if I like Seinfeld or Curb better because they are so different.

I have found that the least personable guys are the NBA's.

Oh and I forgot, Will Hernandez is one of the meanest son of a bitches on the field, but one of the nicest guys I have ever met. A friend of mine loves Offensive lineman and comes up to me and points at a guy and says to him, that I am from El Paso. Well, it turned out to be Will Hernandez.
He remembers your name the next time he sees you, and introduces you to people he is with. Loves talking and engages you in the conversation. I have worked out many times at the same time as him at the gym. He will actually come up to you and say hello. There are few as nice as him.
Also, Will has great things to say about El Paso. Loves the city and the people.

I know this is a little off topic but one of the greatest/funniest things was the HBO Face Off with David Haye where he called Klitschko a dickhead.

2:20

Cool story with Will Hernandez. Jordan Palmer is the same way. I met him again in 2014 and he remembered me from his playing days.

Saw Bon Jovi in concert and he played for like 4 hours at the AA in Dallas. The crowd wouldn't let him leave. And then he says. 'I've got no shows for the next 3 days and over 200 songs, we can do this all night." Then he started taking request.

The next day I read the review in the Dallas Morning News and the writer mentioned the abnormal length of the concert and quoted the Bon Jovi line. And the writer said the concert was so long he took it as a threat. Anyway, the concert was great because he loves to interact with the crowd and you can tell he is enjoying himself up there.

I know this is a little off topic but one of the greatest/funniest things was the HBO Face Off with David Haye where he called Klitschko a dickhead.

2:20

That was all an act. The guy is the nicest person you would ever meet in person. I told him he fought the wrong KIitschko, as he had a better chance against the brother. He could have kept stepping on his foot and going to his body. I showed him the timing of the way he came in and out. This was the wrong opponent.

If you came up to Haye in person, he would shake your hand, stop what he was doing and listen to you. Just a quality guy. He used to workout at the same gym as well, and his handlers were also the nicest guys.

A funny story was that he was with a different woman that was all over the tabloids in the UK, as he was not with his wife. I was laughing because they came to Vegas to hide away from them. I worked with a girl from the UK and she immediately recognized the woman, and told him that he should not be cheating on his wife. You should have seen his face, and to his credit, he just laughed.

Curb really is not politically correct as everything is fair game. Usually HBO leans the other way, and this show is refreshing as it does not care about anyone's views. I still laugh about the Trump hat in this last season, and the media had to play it left, when he was obviously making fun of both sides.

Curb really is not politically correct as everything is fair game. Usually HBO leans the other way, and this show is refreshing as it does not care about anyone's views. I still laugh about the Trump hat in this last season, and the media had to play it left, when he was obviously making fun of both sides.

It was funny that the media didn't get that Larry was making fun of both sides.

Seinfeld was so different because they always alluded to things such as "the contest" and being "master of your domain". That was why Seinfeld was so great.

It was funny that the media didn't get that Larry was making fun of both sides.

Seinfeld was so different because they always alluded to things such as "the contest" and being "master of your domain". That was why Seinfeld was so great.

I think the media did get it, they just wanted to spin it to one side.

The show was a classic. I also like the fact that the media has always pushed him to make political comments and he has refused to do so. He refuses to do Trump jokes and hates political correctness. When pushed on the subject, he said he never joked about Obama, why should he joke about Trump. Plus, he said everyone is doing the Anti-Trump stuff and it is getting tiresome. Kind of like our other thread. :D

I think he just started a show on Tuesday on Netflix called 23 hours to kill.

I think the media did get it, they just wanted to spin it to one side.

The show was a classic. I also like the fact that the media has always pushed him to make political comments and he has refused to do so. He refuses to do Trump jokes and hates political correctness. When pushed on the subject, he said he never joked about Obama, why should he joke about Trump. Plus, he said everyone is doing the Anti-Trump stuff and it is getting tiresome. Kind of like our other thread. :D

I think he just started a show on Tuesday on Netflix called 23 hours to kill.

Yep, this is why I rarely go to comedy shows anymore because I don't like paying to hear one-sides political jokes.

I saw that special on Netflix, going to have to watch it for sure.

Yep, this is why I rarely go to comedy shows anymore because I don't like paying to hear one-sides political jokes.

I saw that special on Netflix, going to have to watch it for sure.

Hence the reason that he does not do any shows on college campuses anymore, as he says they want everything to be politically correct and have no sense of humor.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Lol.. you're right about the outfits...

You can see where the mentality and locker room culture was so different 20 plus years ago. That clip of Jordan calling Burrell a ho during practice, knowing he was being filmed is something you will probably never see in today’s game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT