ADVERTISEMENT

OT This Proves that El Paso is Not a Soccer City

El Paso Chihuahuas

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2014
El Paso, TX, USA
I've heard many times on here and people that call in on Sportstalk that El Paso is a soccer city. I was curious what the ticket sales are like for the soccer game tomorrow at Southwest University Park. A lot of tickets are still available. I thought that this game would be close to sold out by now. Chihuahuas can sell out most of their 72 games and the playoffs and Championship Game, but 1 soccer game is not even close.

Its an exibition game between two second division teams. If Albuquerque and Colorado Springs played an exhibition in Southwest University Park it wouldnt sell out either. The triple A championship didnt sell out. The Chihuahuas sell out because of the new park. When the newness wears off we will see if El Paso is a baseball town.

Still, if El Paso was a soccer city more tickets would be sold.

The AAA Championship did sell out. I was at the game and it was announced that it was a sellout. There was only standing room tickets left and there were only single tickets available a few weeks before the game.

The Chihuahuas sell out because El Paso loves baseball. The Diablos even led the league in attendance when they were an Independent League team. The Diablos thrived when Jim Paul was the owner. The owners here know what they are doing. Season tickets and overall attendance went up from year 1 to year 2. The Chihuahuas are here to stay and will be successful for a very, very long time.

They announced the triple A championsip as a sell out but there were alot of empty seats. El Paso is a very fickle market. When something is new and exciting everybody is on board. Right now the chihuhuas rank 7th in triple a attendance (IL & PCL). Thats good if in three years we are still in the top 15 that will be good. There will be a drop in attendance its inevitable in this market.

I totally agree El Paso is not a soccer town. Its just lazy stereotyping that leads people to believe this is a soccer town.

They announced the triple A championsip as a sell out but there were alot of empty seats. El Paso is a very fickle market. When something is new and exciting everybody is on board. Right now the chihuhuas rank 7th in triple a attendance (IHL & PCL). Thats good if in three years we are still in the top 15 that will be good. There will be a drop in attendance its inevitable in this market.

I totally agree El Paso is not a soccer town. Its just lazy stereotyping that leads people to believe this is a soccer town.

There were a lot of empty seats because some season ticket holders didn't use their seats.

I promise you the attendance will be the same or more in 3 years, 5 years, etc.

Southwest University Park is a small intimate park- they can't compete with parks that have 10-15k seats. If you look at the attendance figures, the Chihuahuas get more fans than any other team in the PCL during the week. Sacramento and Round Rock lead the league because they have larger parks and attract more people on the weekends.

It benefits us all if the El Paso Chihuahuas continue to thrive. I did not understand then but now I understand why they chose to only build 7500 actual seats.

I have no idea why but the El Paso Times focused so much on empty seats for the AAA championship game. It was a sell out though.

As usual though, none of us can declare what kind of town El Paso is for certain. Second rate soccer or boxing events can't really be compared to our team. Heck, 25 thousand people showed up to see a 2-2 football team play a 0-4. I guess we are a football town!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT