ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: why doesnt El Paso have a prep school Bball team?

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Or a private school that can have a stacked team? What about Cathedral?

I don't there are enough local players to get it started, but players could be brought in from around the country if there were to be a basketball prep school established (like in Florida or Nevada). Takes a lot of money.

I'm not a fan of prep schools or high school transfers (especially in big cities) because it takes kids away from their intended place of play.

Faith Cristian academy has had some decent teams and have brought players in, albeit they play at a lower level and are not a Prep school.

Reactions: El Paso 1
I don't there are enough local players to get it started, but players could be brought in from around the country if there were to be a basketball prep school established (like in Florida or Nevada). Takes a lot of money.

I'm not a fan of prep schools or high school transfers (especially in big cities) because it takes kids away from their intended place of play.

Faith Cristian academy has had some decent teams and have brought players in, albeit they play at a lower level and are not a Prep school.

Isnt the Hockey team a prep team?? It don't just have to be basketball. Start a prep school with bunch of other sports. Could have soccer and baseball??

Isnt the Hockey team a prep team?? It don't just have to be basketball. Start a prep school with bunch of other sports. Could have soccer and baseball??
Its a UTEP club team I think..but sounds cool to me.

Not enough talent in the area. How many local players sign D1 scholarships every year?

Not enough talent in the area. How many local players sign D1 scholarships every year?

Prep schools are not all about local players. The school recruits players to the school from all around the world.

The Rhinos are not utep
Right. The Rhinos are not a prep team either. They are an amateur team of players wanting to get pro contracts I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong

I thought maybe you were referring to the club hockey team...which a UTEP club team.

Last edited:
Right. The Rhinos are not a prep team either. They are an ameture team of players wanting to get pro contracts I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong

I thought maybe you were referring to the club hockey team...which a UTEP club team.

Someone here told me they were a prep team.

Some Rhinos wind up playing college hockey too. I met a couple of kids from northern Minnesota playing D-III hockey at St. Mary's University in Winona, Mn that played a season or two with the Rhinos before getting into college hockey. I found it odd & interesting that they could do that - playing for pay minor league hockey then jumping into D-III hockey.

Some Rhinos wind up playing college hockey too. I met a couple of kids from northern Minnesota playing D-III hockey at St. Mary's University in Winona, Mn that played a season or two with the Rhinos before getting into college hockey. I found it odd & interesting that they could do that - playing for pay minor league hockey then jumping into D-III hockey.

Rhinos are an AAU team, they’re not playing for pay they actually have to pay to play on the team.

Reactions: axingfools1
Cathedral is self funding and their priority is not athletics. They don't have the money but they have been more dedicated to sports the last 20 years. These prep schools that are basketball first pipelines are expensive and academically dicey at times. If Cathedral went that route, tons of alumni would tear up their diploma and/or pop a vein, "I guarantee it". Now they brought in Coach Harper years back.

Cathedral is self funding and their priority is not athletics. They don't have the money but they have been more dedicated to sports the last 20 years. These prep schools that are basketball first pipelines are expensive and academically dicey at times. If Cathedral went that route, tons of alumni would tear up their diploma and/or pop a vein, "I guarantee it". Now they brought in Coach Harper years back.

I dont think so. If they had a national power bastketball team. No way an alumni would be ashamed. They would be proud.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT