ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup 2018

So many big stars just aren’t doing anything in this cup, where is Lewandowski? Columbia looks great. Had to play 87 minutes a man down vs Japan and still looked solid.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Poland really sucked. Literally never had more than 2 consecutive forward passes. Their game plan was dog crap. They couldn't hold the ball against a slightly above average Columbian team. No attack whatsoever. Also, Cuadrado diced them up down the right side time after time.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
As soon as Russia had a real opponent in front of them they reverted to looking like the 70th rated team in the world.

Reactions: kickballpro
Animated-Flag-Uruguay.gif

USA not in it so my second pick, Uruguay, is beating Putin's thugs. Oh yeah!!

Reactions: paydirtpetetatt7
Spain is going to limp into the round of 16. Maybe firing their coach a couple days before the start of the World Cup wasn’t the smartest move.

Spain is going to limp into the round of 16. Maybe firing their coach a couple days before the start of the World Cup wasn’t the smartest move.

That and the fact they they’ve got some grandpas on the pitch. They looked sharp in game 1, decent in game 2 and like they don’t have their legs in game 3.

Not to take away anything from Morocco, who have looked very strong today.

That and the fact they they’ve got some grandpas on the pitch. They looked sharp in game 1, decent in game 2 and like they don’t have their legs in game 3.

Not to take away anything from Morocco, who have looked very strong today.
I really want Iran to sneak in. Convert this penalty please.

Aww shit and just as I type that Spain ties the game.

I really want Iran to sneak in. Convert this penalty please.

Aww shit and just as I type that Spain ties the game.

And Spain is probably going to win the group now getting Russia while Portugal will get Uruguay. Damn what a difference a couple stoppage time minutes can make.

Soccer is so unfair sometimes. Spain going to limp in as group leaders. They’re prime for the taking by Russia.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
And Spain is probably going to win the group now getting Russia while Portugal will get Uruguay. Damn what a difference a couple stoppage time minutes can make.
Stoppage time has haunted Mexico with the late goals by South Korea and Germany.

Stoppage time has haunted Mexico with the late goals by South Korea and Germany.

Hopefully not in the end. Like you said, they’re in control of their own destiny. The way Mexico has played so far, that’s a good position to be in, imo.

Hopefully not in the end. Like you said, they’re in control of their own destiny. The way Mexico has played so far, that’s a good position to be in, imo.
And they seem to play better as underdogs or with a chip on their shoulder. I kind of like them having the pressure to win or tie. First or nothing now. Instead of having the spot secured and cruising the last game. That would have guaranteed a loss to Sweden and a second place finish.

Not a fan of the Iran style of play. But you have to respect that they are aware of their talent level, they’re organized, disciplined, and they can frustrate the best teams in the world.

Interestingly, the goals have come after Rafa Marquez has entered the match. Se supone que entra para asegurar el resultado.

Interestingly, the goals have come after Rafa Marquez has entered the match. Se supone que entra para asegurar el resultado.
Key injuries to defenders Araujo and Reyes have forced Osorio to go with the old man. I would have rather see Marquez go as a sideline assistant than a player.

The World Cup is stronger with Argentina in the round of 16. Feel bad for NGA.

And that is precisely why that inadvertent, yet blatant hand ball in the box was not called against Argentina. I’m no conspiracy theorist, but FIFA has been corrupt for so long, and just because leadership changed hands, I can’t imagine it has all faded away. FIFA likes its $$$ and Argentina (Messi) bring more of it in. Nigeria got f@&king robbed. Own head to own arm is a handball. No ifs, ands or butts. FIFA needs to go to an all or nothing rule so that it’s not left up to subjectivity. SMH!

And that is precisely why that inadvertent, yet blatant hand ball in the box was not called against Argentina. I’m no conspiracy theorist, but FIFA has been corrupt for so long, and just because leadership changed hands, I can’t imagine it has all faded away. FIFA likes its $$$ and Argentina (Messi) bring more of it in. Nigeria got f@&king robbed. Own head to own arm is a handball. No ifs, ands or butts. FIFA needs to go to an all or nothing rule so that it’s not left up to subjectivity. SMH!
Yeap even the telemundo announcers are in on it. They were both saying it’s not a penalty. The same thing happened to South Korea vs Mexico. The penalty handball went in Mexico’s favor but the same call wasn’t given to South Korea.

Handball has to be intentional. There was absolutely no intent to play the ball with his hand. Arm was in a totally natural position. Now the penalty against Argentina was a BS call. They could call one on every set piece using that criteria.

Handball has to be intentional. There was absolutely no intent to play the ball with his hand. Arm was in a totally natural position. Now the penalty against Argentina was a BS call. They could call one on every set piece using that criteria.

By the letter of the law, yes. That rule is beyond archaic, though, and rarely adhered to in this day and age. Almost every handball in the box is “unintentional”, yet we see penalty kicks being awarded more often than not.

Aside from my little tirade about FIFA and its surrounding corruption, my main point was that I think the time has come where subjectivity has to be taken out of the equation. If the ball hits the hand/arm, it should be a handball. Ruling out the obvious, how can a referee accurately determine whether a handball is/isn’t intentional anyway? Subjectively?

Reactions: axingfools1
By the letter of the law, yes. That rule is beyond archaic, though, and rarely adhered to in this day and age. Almost every handball in the box is “unintentional”, yet we see penalty kicks being awarded more often than not.

Aside from my little tirade about FIFA and its surrounding corruption, my main point was that I think the time has come where subjectivity has to be taken out of the equation. If the ball hits the hand/arm, it should be a handball. Ruling out the obvious, how can a referee accurately determine whether a handball is/isn’t intentional anyway? Subjectively?
This and the corruption of which you speak are some of the reasons they're using video replay for the first time in the WC. Old guys like me remember when FIFA made the replay of any controversial call completely verboten. You couldn't even get the replay on TV. I guess this was to protect the refs but more likely it was to protect the betting lines. Now at least the world is able to see a blown call and there is a system in place to fix them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT