ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup 2018

This and the corruption of which you speak are some of the reasons they're using video replay for the first time in the WC. Old guys like me remember when FIFA made the replay of any controversial call completely verboten. You couldn't even get the replay on TV. I guess this was to protect the refs but more likely it was to protect the betting lines. Now at least the world is able to see a blown call and there is a system in place to fix them.

Judging by the content of many of your posts, I’d assume we are “about” the same age...ish. Been watching international soccer for over 40 years. Similar to the way things unfold for mid majors against P5-6 competition, the tables are without doubt slanted so that the ball rolls in favor of the “big” soccer nations. The only thing I can think is that there is so much $$$ involved. When that is the case, I don’t dismiss the possibility for anything.

Just so you know, I had no dog in this fight. I’ve seen less obvious handballs called this WC. Like I said, I’m not a Nigeria fan, but they got absolutely hosed. But perhaps that’s just me...

Reactions: jdubb66
The second best thing about the World Cup is the pics of the stands. Here’s a few I liked.

taoc3b.jpg

303d954.jpg

mm674j.jpg

This is a nice addition while we wait to fire up the good ol’ Yanet Garcia thread once football season begins.

Uroho's save on the Messi free kick and Rojo's goal by Argentina were 2 of the top plays in the world cup so far.

I think Nigeria got robbed as well on that hand ball. Despite the hand being in a natural position, the header was horrible and the arm blocked it from going to Nigeria right in front of the goal. I thought it was a penalty 100%.

Not a fan of Maradona. Of course I don't know him and he was a great soccer player, but you can only make an idiot of yourself so many times..

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Mexico has done well and should advance. Germany had to beat a Korean team that hasn’t scored in like 5 games. Germany has no business in the next round

Hopefully not in the end. Like you said, they’re in control of their own destiny. The way Mexico has played so far, that’s a good position to be in, imo.
In the end the two stoppage goals by South Korea sent Mexico through. What a plot twist.

In the end the two stoppage goals by South Korea sent Mexico through. What a plot twist.

It’s great! Love it. Germany knocked on the door all day long. So many chances. SoKo looked vulnerable but were consistent in the way they defended. It paid off.

Mex is probably going to get Brazil. Will obviously have to play better.

It’s great! Love it. Germany knocked on the door all day long. So many chances. SoKo looked vulnerable but were consistent in the way they defended. It paid off.

Mex is probably going to get Brazil. Will obviously have to play better.

Hopefully Switzerland.

Hopefully. I just don’t see it. Although I will say, Serbia is no slouch and may have something to say about how this game goes.

Brazil may actually be a better matchup. Mexico has the skill and speed to play with Brazil but it was painfully obvious today that Mexico struggled with the height of Sweden. Germany is a taller team too but elects to play more with their feet. Mexico made South Korea look slow and poor. I like Mexico vs smaller teams.

I don’t think it matters who Mexico plays their defense is gutted. They’ll be missing three regular starters in Moreno, Reyes, and Araujo. My preference would be Brazil. They’ve always played them good. Mexico fans grow up idolizing Brazil. One of these days they’ll get over the hump and finally beat them in a non friendly game. Why not Monday?

Not a fan of Mexico at all and was rooting for Germany to win. With that being said, reading a lot about Mexico getting ‘lucky’ or backing their way in. People saying they need to thank South Korea etc....

Mexico played their way to knockout stage. They beat the two bottom feeders of their group. Took advantage of a lackadaisical and complacent German team. Mexico is in the knockout stage because they belong there, not because of luck.

Not a fan of Mexico at all and was rooting for Germany to win. With that being said, reading a lot about Mexico getting ‘lucky’ or backing their way in. People saying they need to thank South Korea etc....

Mexico played their way to knockout stage. They beat the two bottom feeders of their group. Took advantage of a lackadaisical and complacent German team. Mexico is in the knockout stage because they belong there, not because of luck.
Agree Mexico played well the 1st 2 games, but Germany absolutely s#$t the bed. They were a favorite to win the world cup. I don't think anybody thought they would lose to SoKo today?

Brazil is hurt on the backline. It's a good opportunity for Mexico to make a statement, but Vela, Chucky and Chicharito need to finish.

Mexico has a good chance to beat Brazil. For some reason in recent
years Mexico has taken Brazil down. It will be a good game. The bad
think is that the Mexican coach makes some ugly substitutions.

The problem with Mexico is that they always start strong then they
lose it. The other teams figure their style of play. Other teams start
slow and build the momentum as needed.

Mexico has a good chance to beat Brazil. For some reason in recent
years Mexico has taken Brazil down. It will be a good game. The bad
think is that the Mexican coach makes some ugly substitutions.

The problem with Mexico is that they always start strong then they
lose it. The other teams figure their style of play. Other teams start
slow and build the momentum as needed.
And IF they get by Brazil, they will likely be staring down the barrel at an extremely talented Belgium side.

Diego Maradona has been the funniest thing at this WC. FIFA was paying him 10,000 Euros to go and be an ambassador to the game and now it’s in jeopardy because of his antics.

Reactions: Randaddy Miner
Argentina are poor losers and their ambassador is a coke fiend. FIFA payed him 10,000 euros (They fined Mexico to get their money back). I'm glad they're gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT