ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Thomas might be one of the Greats!

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Talked to some people in the Paul Thomas camp, that say Utep got a steal! Besides being 6'8 and still growing PT is a great hard working kid. If he gets stronger he can be a Utep Great and future NBA Lottery pic, 6'8 possibly 6'10 when he's done growing can put it on the floor, shoot the 3, drive the bucket, etc... Kevin Durant like player. I think he ends up playing Big Minutes this year and having a great Miner Career. If we can get a PG now and Vince comes back, I'll say it again, I like this team alot better at least offensively than last year!

This post was edited on 4/6 12:22 PM by nattybry

Originally posted by nattybry:
Talked to some people in the Paul Thomas camp, that say Utep got a steal! Besides being 6'8 and still growing PT is a great hard working kid. If he gets stronger he can be a Utep Great and future NBA Lottery pic, 6'8 possibly 6'10 when he's done growing can put it on the floor, shoot the 3, drive the bucket, etc... Kevin Durant like player. I think he ends up playing Big Minutes this year and having a great Miner Career. If we can get a PG now and Vince comes back, I'll say it again, I like this team alot better at least offensively than last year!

At a radio show, Floyd said that he plays like Vince Hunter but with a better shot

I forgot who reported it, but saw that Lee Moore is good and already graduated and will be at Utep this summer so here's what I've think Uteps 10 Deep will be and if Utep gets Conf Championship in EP I like our chances. ODU and UAB will be absolutely Stout next year though!

Starters:
PG JC Transfer???
SG Earvin Morris 6'4
SG Lee Moore 6'4
F Vince Hunter 6'8
C Matt Willms 7'1

Bench:
PG Omega Harris 6'2
SG Jake Flaggert 6'6
F Paul Thomas 6'8
F Trey Winn 6'7
C Hopper Vint 6'11

Awesome. Did he play for UTEP last year? Ever played D1 before? Any of you seen him play in person?

I'll hold off judgement till he enrolls in classes and assaults Sul Ross St before he's the savior of UTEP hoops.

Carlos serious STFU!! Do you intenionally start fights with everyone!? If you disagree then thats your opinion you little Prick you don't have to be a sarcastic A Hole! Just as much as you can say you don't know if he's gonna be any good is the same as I can say I think he will be good. I've actually seen him play and know alot more about basketball and people who know basketball due to the fact I played, know coaches and been around this Utep Program for the last 17 years. Your a smart A$$ little punk and I mean this when I say, I hope you get popped in your mouth one day since it's obvious you wanna be a little antagonist just for the sake of hearing your hot air and pissing people off. There's a difference between ones opinion and someone who constantly attempts to be sarcastic and put down other people's posts so they feel better about themselves, your apparently an unsuccessful and sad insecure individual and live your life half full, get a life or get off this board if you always want to be Negative Nancy and dont even attempt to come back with something you think is remotely witty as I will destroy you with rhetoric as I am a comedian and write for a living! With that said when Paul Thomas shuts you up please gracefully leave this board as your presence here is a negative stinch upon Proud Miner Nation and im sure I speak for 99% Board in saying we will not miss you!

Way to contribute positively and be helpful with that article Gumby. Let's hope this class continues to get better n better and we can stop talking about the NCAA and be there like Utep Basketball Should!

Been saying this for awhile now and getting all sorts of crap ....I agree completely!!

Nattybry, you speak for me on this one! Although I still think that the Carlos jerk is one of Chi's alternates I have not put him on Ignore yet.

Nattylight,

You write for a living? Don't quit your day job pal! I could hardly read your poorly written response. You're (see I know how to use that correctly) telling me to a get a life? You're the one talking about some high schooler being the greatest Miner ever. I think you are the one in need of a life. I don't know how any of you could get excited about Floyds recruiting. Just wait till the guys get here and see how they are.

Ps. If you don't like my posts, hit that ignore button. I do the same to many of you. I don't care if you like me or my opinion. I'm not trying to win over virtual friends. Can't wait for you to "roast" me!

This post was edited on 4/6 8:13 PM by STCarlosEP

Carlos, Im writing from my phone not pc, so errors are not of my own, my post are written with my thumb, not typed and proof read. Oh and I've performed with Kat Williams, Kevin Hart and George Lopez so I think im doing just fine, along with the fact I have a lucrative business. Point is your a point blank sarcastic jerk that just brings negativity to this board, when this Post was meant to be positive. Lastly at what point does my post or comments say he will be the greatest Miner Ever? Don't make up claims that nobody said, just to try and justify your poor and not well thought out negative view points.

Carlos, Im writing from my phone not pc, so errors are not of my own, my post are written with my thumb, not typed and proof read. Oh and I've performed with Kat Williams, Kevin Hart and George Lopez so I think im doing just fine, along with the fact I have a lucrative business. Point is your a point blank sarcastic jerk that just brings negativity to this board, when this Post was meant to be positive. Lastly at what point does my post or comments say he will be the greatest Miner Ever? Don't make up claims that nobody said, just to try and justify your poor and not well thought out negative view points.
Are you a comedian? Did you perform in El Paso with those comedians?

I used to get angry and upset reading trash like Carlos and his cousins enjoy posting. Now that I put a little more thought into it; it's really humorous that someone has such a pitiful and empty life that this is how they find fulfillment.
Soooooo sad for the lonesome life they lead.

Chihuahua I tour and perform at the El Paso Comic Strip from Time to time, I used to do local stuff when I fir at started some years ago, I won't put my info on here, but get at me and I'll let you know next time I'm in EP at the Comic Strip, im from EP originally. Now back to the National Championship hoping Utep could get there in my lifetime, but thats pretty High Hopes I realize!

Chihuahua I tour and perform at the El Paso Comic Strip from Time to time, I used to do local stuff when I fir at started some years ago, I won't put my info on here, but get at me and I'll let you know next time I'm in EP at the Comic Strip, im from EP originally. Now back to the National Championship hoping Utep could get there in my lifetime, but thats pretty High Hopes I realize!
Cool! I saw Kevin Hart when he was here 3 years ago and will see him again in August and saw George Lopez the times he was here.

I'll hold off judgement until he enrolls and plays.

That's it...that's all carlitos had to post without coming off looking like the complete (insert insult here) that he is. The only one that called Thomas a savior, was him. Wonder if he realized that? The only one that called Thomas a Miner great was him. Wonder if he realized that too? To say nothing about the two idiotic questions he asks after saying, Awesome. I don't care if you like me or my opinion. I'm not trying to win over virtual friends, he says. Mission accomplished carlitos. You found the one thing you can do well, lol.

While some might not like Carlos's delivery, he makes a valid point. While I certainly hope that Paul Thomas becomes a superstar at UTEP, the kid has yet to play a second of Division 1 ball. And while the fun of following the recruiting process is speculating on how good these prospects will be, it is better to find the opinion of an unbiased observer that a member of a player's "camp." You might as well ask Paul Thomas's mom what kind of player her son is.

Again, I would love for Paul Thomas to become a Kevin Durant like player, or, as someone else said, Vince Hunter with a jump shot. And I'm definitely not saying he won't. But I'm also not going to say that he will turn out to be a great player based on the opinions of those closest to him. I'll just have to see for myself once he arrives.

Originally posted by MinerManiac:

While some might not like Carlos's delivery, he makes a valid point. While I certainly hope that Paul Thomas becomes a superstar at UTEP, the kid has yet to play a second of Division 1 ball. And while the fun of following the recruiting process is speculating on how good these prospects will be, it is better to find the opinion of an unbiased observer that a member of a player's "camp." You might as well ask Paul Thomas's mom what kind of player her son is.

Again, I would love for Paul Thomas to become a Kevin Durant like player, or, as someone else said, Vince Hunter with a jump shot. And I'm definitely not saying he won't. But I'm also not going to say that he will turn out to be a great player based on the opinions of those closest to him. I'll just have to see for myself once he arrives.
What is it with some of you and your reading comprehension? Did you not read the title of the thread? Do you not see the word might? Did you not see natty's next sentence start with if? Did you not see gumby's post and link regarding recruiting? Isn't that an unbiased observer's opinion? I posted another one and you can easily google the player's name and find more unbiased opinions. natty was just speculating what kind of game Thomas may develop based on those observations. Its what's done on these boards. That irks you and carlitos why? You and carlitos are the only ones spinning natty's post around. Like I said about carlitos post, all he had to say was I'll reserve judgement until he arrives. All you had to type was your last sentence. Develman made the claim last week that the "orangeblinders people" (whatever that is) are trying to sanitize this board. It seems like posters like carlitos and yourself (and I do remember you posting on that infamous pro boards site-may it rest in peace) would like nothing more than to demonize this board and anything positive that is posted.

Paul Thomas

I don't understand the need to constantly bash! Sure, the season ended different than we wanted... but oh well it happens. When you go around being negative for every little aspect it tends to be annoying. I have to wonder if you are a fan or just some person who gets a kick out of it. Clearly the lack of class was shown when you tweeted Cantu...It's going to be a long summer, I suggest you change your evil ways lol...

I'd like to invite you for some ice tea and cookies... Maybe we can convert you into one of the "Great Miner fans" surely all hope is not lost for you.

:)

This post was edited on 4/7 2:24 PM by shyminer81

Shy,

Lol at your lack of class comment. I tweeted that to Cantu because he deserved it. UTEP had no business losing to MTSU. Its the same song with this team. No notable victories and failure when it counts. Just because you guys are cool with not going to the tourney for 5 straight years doesn't mean I am or have to be.

You don't see me talking crap about the football team because they are showing promise and it's Kuglers 3rd year. The basketball team on the other hand, it's such a revolving door and not going anywhere with Floyd. He even applied for DePauls coaching job. He can't win here and he's not going to.

Carlos I told you next years team would be better than this years team and even put a friendly bet on it... But you took off...

I thought I had agreed. That's fine. It was a $40 utep sweatshirt for you if the Miners have more wins next year right?

If the Miners don't have a "better" year next season. You can donate $40 to a charity of my choice then? I wouldn't want a utep sweater after sitting through another meh year. Better to give to charity.

Disappointed in you Maniac!!!
All Nattybry said was "can be",not "will be". He is stating what some observers had to say. What can you possibly find in anything that Carlos said that you can agree with. His only agenda is negativity. Don't encourage him to post his dribble.You used to be optimistic about the future also. What happened?

Kill joy!
laugh.r191677.gif

Whoa, whoa!

...step back and wait a minute. Maniac can break down a (UTEP) player with the best of them, and I mean those that get paid to break down players. He's been doing it for years.

UTEP has had players that were supposed to take UTEP to the next level but never panned out and yet there have been players who wore a UTEP uni who came in with not so high expectations who will now be remembered for their play and reaching beyond themselves, Cedric Lang being a good example.

Originally posted by allminer:

What is it with some of you and your reading comprehension? Did you not read the title of the thread? Do you not see the word might? Did you not see natty's next sentence start with if? Did you not see gumby's post and link regarding recruiting? Isn't that an unbiased observer's opinion? I posted another one and you can easily google the player's name and find more unbiased opinions. natty was just speculating what kind of game Thomas may develop based on those observations. Its what's done on these boards. That irks you and carlitos why? You and carlitos are the only ones spinning natty's post around. Like I said about carlitos post, all he had to say was I'll reserve judgement until he arrives. All you had to type was your last sentence. Develman made the claim last week that the "orangeblinders people" (whatever that is) are trying to sanitize this board. It seems like posters like carlitos and yourself (and I do remember you posting on that infamous pro boards site-may it rest in peace) would like nothing more than to demonize this board and anything positive that is posted.
My reading comprehension is fine. Sure, the title is "Paul Thomas might be one of the Greats!", but really, you can say that about every single player we recruit. Hell, my 13 year old son, who didn't score much on his 7th grade boys basketball B-team, might grow up to be the NBA MVP. It's possible, as there are some kids who will. But as it's incredibly unlikely, you won't see me making the statement on a public forum.

What natty was doing with his article was making a case that there was a high probablility that Thomas will be a great basketball player, and even went so far as to compare him to Kevin Durant, which is extremely high praise. My only point was that he was basing this analysis from what he heard from people in Thomas's camp. This is a very dangerous source of analysis, as it can be highly biased. Like I said in my post, I hope that natty's analysis is spot on.

Finally, what is the "infamous pro boards site"? I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

1liner,

As I just pointed in a response to allminer, natty wsa clearly trying to make the case that there is a high probability that Thomas becomes a Miner great. The kid very well might, and I really hope he does. I was just pointing out that natty was using a dubious source of information to be making this analysis, as members of Thomas's camp are likely to be incredibly biased.

As far as my attitude about the future goes, I have always been consistent. There have always been those on this board that, no matter how bad things are going, see everything as sunshine and rainbows. There are others who, no matter how well things are going, go out of their way to find something negative to say. Both sides irritate the hell out of me. I prefer to analyze what's going on, and will offer praise for what I beleive to be positiive and criticism for what I find to be negative.

In my response to natty I wasn't in any way being negative about Paul Thomas. I look forward to seeing the kid in a Miner uniform. But comparing a kid who has never played a second of Division 1 ball to one of the top basketball players in the world, based on what those closest to the kid have to say, is more than a little excessive.

As far as my expectations for the future of the basketball program, I am worried. For the second year in a row we will lose our best post up player, and this year we are also losing a four year starter who was an incredible lock down defender. We are relying on players that are brand new to Division 1 to fill these voids, just like we relied on brand new players to shore up our backcourt this past season. I hope that Thomas ends out being a stud, that Omega makes great strides as he transitions from freshman to sophomore, that Morris becomes more consistent, and that several of our incoming players are going to be amazing from day 1. Unfortunately that's a lot of "ifs".

I agree and now with Vince gone, there will be more pressure on Paul Thomas, which as a Freshman can go either way. I simply stated looking at his game and his potential he can be a really good moner, I think better than Vince, cause he's more multi facited, however, yes, that is yet to be seen, just a feeling and hope I have. My expectations are severely damaged though now if I'm realistic, with the departure of Vince. No next year has more questions than answers thats for sure

Originally posted by MinerManiac:
Originally posted by allminer:

My reading comprehension is fine. Sure, the title is "Paul Thomas might be one of the Greats!", but really, you can say that about every single player we recruit. Hell, my 13 year old son, who didn't score much on his 7th grade boys basketball B-team, might grow up to be the NBA MVP. It's possible, as there are some kids who will. But as it's incredibly unlikely, you won't see me making the statement on a public forum.

What natty was doing with his article was making a case that there was a high probablility that Thomas will be a great basketball player, and even went so far as to compare him to Kevin Durant, which is extremely high praise. My only point was that he was basing this analysis from what he heard from people in Thomas's camp. This is a very dangerous source of analysis, as it can be highly biased. Like I said in my post, I hope that natty's analysis is spot on.

Finally, what is the "infamous pro boards site"? I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
Got you confused with another poster from that former site, my apologies for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT